#1 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:24 PM

My Grandfather has one of these and he and I were tearing it down for a refurb job. Before we tore it down it was making noise in the right angle gearbox. We removed it and took it apart and it turned out the gears were just about destroyed. Was wondering if any of you guys have had this problem? The tractor itself is in really nice shape, just the gearbox is bad.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:30 PM

The gear box (bevel Gear Box) AKA (BGB), is a known issue on these. Finding a replacement is pretty much finding a donor with a good one.

If there is enough gear left to use as a display piece (non worker), you might be able to shim the bevel gear in a little to get by until you find a donor, but with as buried as these are in the tractor, it'd be a partial tear down when you do find the parts.
  • LTD said thank you

#3 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:04 PM

If it were me I think I would take the bevel gears out and count the teeth and measure the bore or shaft size and look in McMaster Carr or a Graingers catalog. You might be surprised at what you find. They might have to be bored and broached for the application but it's worth a shot. :usa: :usa: :usa:
  • LTD said thank you

#4 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought that might be a common problem with them. It is a real job to get that gear box out. Would it be in any way possible to use a different right angle gear box?

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:53 AM

I've only ever been in one. It was in my Allis (simplicity) and I never took it out, just inside it. My gears were fine, it was the keyway on the shaft that was bad on mine. Itbwas allowing for a lot of play in there. New keyway cut & all good.

I think this may get more traffic in the simplicity forum, being that's who built it, I'm going to move this thread there. Hopefully some more guys more knowledgeable in the BGB see it.
  • LTD said thank you

#6 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 09:49 AM

As long as the housing is in good shape, you can rebuild the BGB. I'm pretty sure, new gears, shafts and other parts are still available from Simplicity dealers or online. The two gears would cost about $155 or more, alone. You could also look for a used set of gears or a used, complete BGB. There's one on ebay now:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4607361e64

I believe the Squire 10 was model no. SIM 990359. Your model no. should be on a sticker behind the seat, on the seat pan, if it's still there. If you don't have an operator's manual and parts list for your tractor, you can use the manual for the Simplicity Landlord 101, model no. 990350. It's the same tractor, just has different seat, paint, and decals.
The manual is here:

http://gardentractor...0-landlord-101/

Here's the instructions on rebuilding the BGB:

http://www.thepowerp...SV_SMA_Sec5.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by achomesteader, October 06, 2012 - 09:52 AM.

• MH81 and LTD have said thanks

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Here is a link to a bevel gearbox for sale in IN.. You might be able to contact them and make a deal on it.

http://kokomo.craigs...3244602260.html
  • MH81 and LTD have said thanks

#8 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought that might be a common problem with them. It is a real job to get that gear box out. Would it be in any way possible to use a different right angle gear box?

Hey;

I got a load of help with that problem from Al Edens at Edens Ltd. in IA. Good guy and honest.

Hope this helps
  • LTD said thank you

#9 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• Member No: 6821
  • 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:27 AM

If you find an older Simplicity dealer it's commom place to rebuild them especially on tractors with a tiller. My B112 needs the BGB tightened up.
  • LTD said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bevel gear box, simplicity