• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Ryan, a trick for seating beads.

Take either diluted dish soap or penetrating oil and lube up the rubber, then take a good ratchet strap and run it around the tread of the tire, hooking back into itself. Tighten the ratchet a few clicks and try it again. If no go, tighten some more. It doesn't work every time, but I've had it do the job more than once.

BTW, the rims look nice.

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Wait, what am I saying, you probably have more tricks than I've ever heard of, sorry... Forgot that you used to help Dad.

#33 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 08:06 PM

I went over to Ed's place and used the compressor in the truck. The big compressor had enough oomph to seat the bead, the other I had to use the air blaster.

Here is the picture I promised. They are still a little tacky and I will put them into the basement tonight so they can dry better.

Posted Image

Ryan, a trick for seating beads.

Take either diluted dish soap or penetrating oil and lube up the rubber, then take a good ratchet strap and run it around the tread of the tire, hooking back into itself. Tighten the ratchet a few clicks and try it again. If no go, tighten some more. It doesn't work every time, but I've had it do the job more than once.

BTW, the rims look nice.

The tires where already lubed up from when I mounted them. The ratchet strap trick works great on backhoe tires and the like, not so great on tires as thin as these. For me, they always collapse where the ratchet is and do not always pull it right.

These wheels have a bead lock like ATV wheels do, but they are not as big. They are large enough to keep the bead from seating, but small enough that they will not act like another bead the way ATV wheels do.

Wait, what am I saying, you probably have more tricks than I've ever heard of, sorry... Forgot that you used to help Dad.

I do have a few more tricks up my sleeve that I have not posted here! Yet...
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#34 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 11:28 AM

I forgot to put the hubs inside last night; I just brought them in now. It rained all night and is going to pour the rest of the day, I will not be able to put it back together tonight. Thats ok, the hubs are still tacky anyway. I will just put the wheels on in the morning.

#35 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Its done!

First, I bolted the hubs to the wheels. I put the nuts on the back, I did that purely for looks.
Posted Image

Then, I just put the wheels and hubs on at once. My neighbor and I took down 6 trees today, two of them where only 6 inches at the base though. I took 4 loads of wood, here was the last load. It is hard to see it with the shadows.
Posted Image

The left side tire has about and inch of clearance.
Posted Image

However, the right side rubs. The wood on the right side is warped and rubs on the tire a little bit.
Posted Image

When I built the trailer I used old recycled wood. Probably sometime in the spring I will buy wood and put new sides on it.

It was great taking a break from gathering firewood, and it gave me some time to post a little. But, now that my trailer is fixed it is time to get back to cutting down trees again. Today's trees equal about a cord. I will have to split and stack it before I decide how much more I really need to get.

#36 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Ryan, Your rims turned out great. :thumbs: Your recycled wood looks to be in good shape, just take the warped piece and reverse it so that the bow is toward the inside. Might just last a lot longer than you think. One nice thing about the old wood is that it has already warped and you know which way, new wood may just give you the same problem, but on both sides! :wallbanging:

#37 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Looks great Ryan, but I would fix that warped side because if you dont you will rub thru your side wall in time. Just add a 2x4 lengthwise to stiffen the warp into a straighter line.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, October 20, 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#38 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:06 PM

Bmerf, I cant just turn them around. The trailer frame is bent, and the corners are not squared up very well. The ends of the board must be cut at different angles to fit correctly.

Casey, that was a concern of mine. When the trailer is empty the tire only rubs the slightest bit, when full it does rub worse. I do not have a lot of fire wood left to get and I wont really use it in the winter. I think that it will be fine until I get wood. I will keep an eye on it.

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 02:44 PM

Make some spacers for the wheels, say 1/2". That would get them away from the side boards.