wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Looking great Ryan, keep up the good work.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Looking great Ryan, keep up the good work.

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 09:52 AM

I got the other wheel lined up, and the plate tacked in. I made a bead about 2 inches long and I ran out of wire. :hitting_self_roller:

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:14 PM

I went out and got wire earlier today. They did not have .030 so I figured I would try the .035 wire. Not thinking I did not get the corresponding tips for the larger wire. So I went and got the right tips.

When I got home I put a tip in and started to weld. Right away I noticed that it sputtered a lot and I could not get a good weld with it. Plus I kept tripping the breaker. However, I did get it welded; the welds just look worse then normal and probably aren't as strong. I am going to get some .030 wire and go back to how I normally do it.

#20 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Most golf car tires are 4 on 4" but usually only 8" to 12" rim size.

Edited by GTTinkerer, October 09, 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 07:14 PM

I tried to take the studs out of the hubs, but they would not come out. They did not hammer out like normal studs. It looks like they have some kind of a retaining collar on them. I gave the hubs to neighbor Dave, tomorrow he was going to see one of his friends who has a press anyway; he will be able to put the hub into the press and get the studs out that way.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Ryan, I feel you pain. I was given a partial box of 7018 rod a while ago. It sat in the drawer until I ran out of the rods I normally use (also 7018)

Made the worst welds of my life, sputter, stick, arc not behaving. Almost gave up on myself.

Finally figured it wasn't AC rod. Went and got what I usually use, and decided I could still weld after all.

#23 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Dave was not able to see the guy with the press; instead, I tried to do it a different way. I put the hub up against the frame of a F250 pickup (heaviest thing currently in my driveway), and put a bottle jack under one of the studs. These are harder to get out then I thought! I lifted up the back of the truck! I have done all I can do myself, now I need help.

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Some wheel studs !! Never saw ones that hard to get out .Could there be any chance there are screwed in ?

#25 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Today I got some time to try and get the studs out again.

I made a spacer up so I could put the hub into a 30 ton press (wood splitter). It did not work, everything kept shifting after it got some pressure onto it. I did run into a problem when making the spacer... since I brought my welding helmet into class I do not have anything at home to use now! To do this I just had to make very short passes with my eyes closed, stop, adjust my position and then repeat. I would not do this on anything that had to be reliable, some of my welds did break.
Posted Image

After that did not work, I tried to burn the studs out! At first I tried to cut them from the back... didn't work and I just made it worse. To make it worse, when the grease in the hub became hot it dripped all over the floor! After I tried to cut it I then decided to try and whack it a time or two; although, it looks like it that did not do much. All I did by hitting it was separate the drum and the hub.
Posted Image

Here you can see where they separated. With the vibration of hitting it, some slag from the cutting got in between the two.
Posted Image

It was at this time that I called neighbor Dave to see if he could help before I made it worse. He suggested cutting the studs from the front. He thought that if the retaining washer was cut off then the stud would hammer out. And... it worked like a charm!
Posted Image

Really, the drum does nothing; all the drum really does is add some thickness that the studs can grab onto. I think that I can take the drum off and use just the hub. Without the drum, I believe that I can just use normal nuts and bolts to attach the wheels to the hubs. I have a few reasons for wanting to do it this way.

1)Buying nuts and bolts will be cheaper then buying studs and lug nuts.
2)One hub will only have 3 studs. The part where I separated the drum and hub is badly bent and chances are I will not be able to put a stud into it.
3)I can save weight. :bigrofl:

What do you guys think about doing away with the drums and using nuts and bolts to fasten the wheels?

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Glad you got your wheels apart !! I was thinking you where working on the PK trailer :wallbanging: Guess I don't read or remember anything , wait that's what my wife keeps telling me lol , Al

#27 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 06:47 PM

I took the hubs out of the drums; a few blocks of wood and a hammer took them right out.
Posted Image

I then used a wire wheel and cleaned the hubs up for paint.
Posted Image

I have a box of washers and a box of nuts, all I needed to attach the wheels were bolts. I just came back from getting them so I would be ready when the time comes to put it all back together.
Posted Image

The wheels are painted and I can mount the tires up tomorrow. I painted one side of the hubs, tomorrow I will flip them and get the other side painted up. On Friday I will be able to put the hubs and wheels back onto the trailer! I hope...

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Ryan, how long is a simple project for you? lol
Glad to hear you can just about reassemble your trailer, good job.

#29 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 04:29 PM

Ryan, how long is a simple project for you? lol
Glad to hear you can just about reassemble your trailer, good job.

It depends, If it turns into something like this then it can take a while! If it starts out as a simple project and stays a simple project then not long; although, it did take me a month and a half to paint the wheels and wheel weights for the '75. :bigrofl:

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 04:35 PM

I flipped and painted the reverse of the hubs, they will be dry enough in a few hours that I can take a picture for you guys.

I mounted the tires up. The only problem is that I can't get the bead to seat with my small compressor. I have a large air blaster for this purpose. But, the blaster is in my Dad's old tire service truck. Right now, the truck is ad Ed's house so him and Harry can work on it.

These are actually studable snow tires. They where on my brothers last demo car. The minute I saw the car, I called dibs on these tires for this purpose. Lol!
Posted Image