• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:26 PM

On my trailer the tires are VERY bad; they are dry rotted to hell and back. Last time I put air in one tire (they leak) I heard cracking. I have seen what over inflated tires can do do I do not want to load up the trailer with wood until I have some reliable tires on it.

The hubs have a 4 bolt pattern with a 4 inch spacing. I am having a hard time finding rims with the correct bolt pattern When I "built" the trailer Tesie gave me a set of 13 inch tires and wheels. The bolt spacing on those was a little big so I flame cut the holes a little bit to fit. I can't find a set of 13" tires, and I am not going to buy new ones. I thought if I could put a 14 inch wheel on it I would never have problems finding tires for it again.

Instead of going on an endless search to find 14 inch wheels with correct bolt spacing, I decided to modify a set of wheels I have. I cut the centers out of the set of wheels, and had the machine shop at Boces make me up some plates that I can weld into the wheels with the right bolt spacing.

These are the wheels, I cut the centers out the other day. I still have to clean the slag from the torch off and take off the paint.
Posted Image

Here are the plates I had made. I don't remember the reason the student machinist could not cut the corners off of one plate. I think he said the table in the machine was not straight? I choose to take them with the burs and corners still on them then wait until Monday for them.
Posted Image

On the plates the machinist gave me exactly what I ordered and he did a great job. The problem is that my order was wrong. The bolt spacing is 1/16 over size and the center hole diameter is about 1/8 inch to small. The bolt spacing is not a huge problem, I can just drill it one size over. The center hole however, is a problem. I don't know how I am going to make it bigger. I don't really want to go back to the machinist and tell him my measurement was off. I will ask Harry if he thinks he has any bright ideas on how to do it. While trying to keep the hole round still. I have a feeling he might tell me to go back and get the machinist to fix my mistake. What do you guys think?

When I measured everything, I measured it with the wheel still on the trailer. I know bad idea. The bolt spacing was just a mistake and on the hub there is a step that the center hole needs to go over. With the wheel on it I did not see the step.

#2 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Take them back to the machinist, tell him that you can’t measure, :hitting_self_roller: but he does excellent work :worshippy2: and if anyone can fix it he can. :bigrofl:
Don't feel bad we all make mistakes.

Edited by Bmerf, October 05, 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:33 PM

That was a great idea Ryan! As for the fix...just admit to your friend that you made the mistake and ask him if he would mind fixing it for you. I have found that people will respond to honesty with trust and forgiveness in most cases. Let us know how it goes and don't forget to post up some pics when you get it done.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Looks great Ryan, We all make mistakes every day.

WARNING!!! Make sure you never weld on a rim with a tire mounted and the valve core in the valve stem. You can build too much air pressure and have a massive tire explosion..

It took about 5 years for my Dad to get all the rubber fragments out of his legs and was very lucky to not be injured or killed!!!
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#5 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:49 PM

if you are going to take your trailer on the highway - I would not use those wheel you made
balancing and truing the wheels you made is going to be fun.
be safe and buy some used ones or new ones

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks guys. I talked to Harry last night and I just got back from fixing the plates. We went over to Ed's shop and used the bridgeport. For the center hole Ed has something called a boring block, it worked great and the hole is still exact. For the outer holes we just clamped it down and walked the table over with the end milll.

lyall, this trailer will never see road use. The top speed for my PKs is only 7 MPH so it will not have to be balanced.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 10:42 AM

For the center hole Ed has something called a boring block

Ryan, I think he may have called it a Boring Bar.

Glad you got it all worked out. Those wheels will be great for your trailer. Good Job Buddy !! :thumbs:

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:11 AM

Ryan, glad to hear you are getting it all sorted out, can't wait to see the end result.

#9 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 06, 2012 - 12:08 PM

At low speed , a little wobble is ok. I have modified and even built hubs for different wheel applications.
You must have a good cheap machinist. I have had what I thought was a small job run over $200.

Watch this before you start welding on the wheels!

They were welding around the bead area, so it might be safe welding the hub. I would not chance it.
I have done a little welding on wheels with the tires still mounted before watching this. Maybe I just got lucky.
I break atleast 1 bead and pull it over the rim now.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:20 AM

Four bolt is probly trailer pattern. I had those on my big Speedex at both ends and now have same on back of WH GT14 and my LTD 990 tractors. They are 15" wheels, easy to get tires for, but maybe too big for your trailer??? Front ones were only 10 or 12", kinda small. Have a trailer surplus place around you? A cheap Machinist?? Your lucky, most my way don't want to fool with little things for time in set-up and such and usually charge hourly rate like $50 to $100 hr for first hour, wether it was only 15 minutes to do the job or not.

#11 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Four bolt is probly trailer pattern. I had those on my big Speedex at both ends and now have same on back of WH GT14 and my LTD 990 tractors. They are 15" wheels, easy to get tires for, but maybe too big for your trailer??? Front ones were only 10 or 12", kinda small. Have a trailer surplus place around you? A cheap Machinist?? Your lucky, most my way don't want to fool with little things for time in set-up and such and usually charge hourly rate like $50 to $100 hr for first hour, wether it was only 15 minutes to do the job or not.

Cars have 4 bolt patterns also. My machinist was very cheap... FREE! Although, I would not ask him for any complicated stuff or anything over the top.

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ryan, if you go looking for 4 bolt rims, check the hole pattern 4 x 100mm. (1.6mm from a true 4"... ) Some Saturns used them, I think BMW and the like.

Also, check some of the 60's fords, (Falcon pops into my head) I think they had a small 4 bolt pattern.

there may be a set of 4 down at the junkyard & just waiting for you to find them.

#13 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:37 PM

Ryan, if you go looking for 4 bolt rims, check the hole pattern 4 x 100mm. (1.6mm from a true 4"... ) Some Saturns used them, I think BMW and the like.

Also, check some of the 60's fords, (Falcon pops into my head) I think they had a small 4 bolt pattern.

there may be a set of 4 down at the junkyard & just waiting for you to find them.

I am pretty sure falcon had them also. I think the Dart is another one that came up in a previous discussion on here.

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:46 PM

I got one of the plates welded into the wheel. It is 1/16 of an inch (I measured) off center. It is plenty close enough for what I am using it for. The edge of the plate and the parallel center part of the wheel there was a good size gap. Since the plate is off center, two weld beads got 2 passes and the other beads got three passes over them.

Sorry about the blurry picture.
Posted Image

I will get the other wheel welded together tomorrow morning.

The hub is going to need longer studs in it with these wheels. I have a bunch of studs, I may have some that will fit.

#15 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 07:18 PM

Coming along very nice !!