Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1983 Jd 116h Just A "simple" Fix And Then...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 02:17 PM

I thought I would start a thread on my 116H as what started out to be a simple hydro fan replacement, turned into a partial restoration. I have been posting in the "what did you do TO your tractor" thread however, I thought I should move things to a seperate thread, in case other 116 owners wanted to investigate a little further. Not sure how many others are on here, but here goes:

Working on the 116 Hydro to repair a leaking fuel line from the tank petcock to the fuel pump. No problem... had the line on hand. Thought it might be a good idea to replace the cooling fan for the trans as I had the replacement on hand. "Can't get to it from here, from this angle, or not even from HERE", was the story of the day. Ended up removing the seat, fender pan, steering wheel, mower deck, and raising the dash tower a good 6" or more before the fender pan would come off. That is where it sits as of this morning, with the old fan removed and waiting for a good pressure wash and reinstall. Pics tomorrow. The thought of doing a quick repaint of the tins, has crossed my mind, we'll see...

Posted Image
Need to clean it up first.

Posted Image

This is where the old fan WAS located. The hard part is going to be getting the new one back in there. I may have to unbolt the rear of the frame to gain enough access to get "new" fan in. Tight spaces, on these little 116s.

Posted Image
Much better. Hate working on dirty greasy things. Can't see what I'm doing. Additionally, a clean hydro is a happy hydro. I'll also be replacing the hydro fluid and the main drive belt as I'm not planning on going back into this tractor, any time soon.

Took a little time to paint the frame rails in Satin Black and did the control levers and hydro fill tube, in a High Gloss Black.

Also picked up a few cans of Valspar Enamel John Deere Green and will do a "quicky job" on the fender pan and dash tower. Will be heading out to the JD dealership tomorrow, to pick up a new drive belt and a few bits to put it back together.

Here is what it looks like now, under the fender pan.

Posted Image

Did a fluid change on the hydro pump yesterday (still need to run the tractor to make sure that it is full) and went to look at the axle a bit closer. Hmmm... drain plug on the bottom. I like to at least make sure that all the fluids are changed out and full on anything "new" that I buy and this was no exception. The axle is, if I understand correctly, "filled for life" and not serviceable. But what about this little drain plug? Couldn't find ANY fill plug on the axle housing, no matter how hard I searched. But what about the drain plug ?
Thought I should at least loosen it and make sure that there was fluid in it. Loosened the plug but did not remove it. NOTHING... not a drip to be found. Posted Image At this point, I had to pull the plug as it appeared that the axle was empty. IT WAS ! Posted Image

Now I'm faced with the task of filling an axle that is supposed to be filled for life (nothing ever is) and I have a few thoughts.
1. Find a petcock that will thread into the housing in place of the drain plug and back feed the fluid through the petcock.
2. Drill a hole in the axle case (using an exploded diagram to verify that I'm not going to hit something) and tap it, flush out the axle with diesel fuel to rinse out any metal shards that are sure to get in, and refill with 80W 90 gear oil.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated... Posted Image

New belt and fan are in (JD sure made it a pain in the rear on the 116 models) and I'm still thinking on the rear diff fluid-fill options. Posted Image Previous owners or a shop that they took it to, sure can add a bit of complexity, to any old project. I'll get it sorted...

Posted Image
All buttoned back up

Posted Image

Just a FEW of the bolts that had to come out. Brake linkage, steering gear, and at least a dozen fasteners, need to be removed to change the main drive belts on the 116s.

Posted Image
Prep for paint...

Going green.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I decided to just mask off the Hydrostatic decals and once everything has cured, go back and shoot the clear coat over the decals. Just didn't want to wait as I need this little machine up and running ASAP.

Finished up the fender pan last night and may have figured out a "reasonable" way of adding gear lube to the trans. Will report back, if it works. Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by dave8338, October 06, 2012 - 12:41 AM.

• virginiacubfan said thank you

#2 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 02:21 PM

Rear diff is full ! :dancingbanana: The unit IS NOT sealed for life as I was led to believe from the JD dealer. Turns out that there is a fill plug, located behind and in between the lever linkage for the hydro and brake return lever. Nearly impossible to get to without turning the tractor on its' side, which is what I ended up doing. I used the drain plug as the fill hole, as using the actual fill hole, would have required a piece of tubing connected to the 80W-90 bottle. When on its' side, the two plugs are at the same level so there was no difference in the amount of fluid that the transaxle would hold, in either position.

Here is a photo:
Posted Image
You can see the fill plug on the right side of the axle and how it is level with the drain plug, when on its' side.

Also ordered several small parts that the mower was missing when I purchased it. While I'm waiting for them, I'll be back on the dumbwaiter project. :thumbs:

Dash tower painted and waiting for satin gloss clear on the black plastic piece with the lettering. All the raised lettering and decals on this machine are in VERY good condition so in order to protect them, they are going to get cleaned and covered in satin clear.
Posted Image

Color me yellow:
Posted Image

And a hood that is on its' way, to a slightly better finish:

Posted Image

Have the hood painted. Needed the typical fiberglass repair to the front of the hood. Would seem as though I'm not the only one to miss the brake pedal and use the front of the machine as a battering ram.

Take a look:

Posted Image

I fiberglassed the rear of the hood, below the head light, 4 layers, just to make sure things stayed in place.

Posted Image

Here is the underside of the hood with non-paintable undercoating applied. It sets up hard like a spray in bed liner and I like the texture.

Posted Image

And the top side, with a little JD green applied. Waiting for it to cure for a few days and then I'll wet sand and buff it out, for a little additional shine.

Edited by dave8338, October 06, 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 03:31 PM

What product did you use for the underside of the hood? I like how that turned out.
  • dave8338 said thank you

#4 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'll have check for the exact name but I get it at the local Auto Value, here in town. It is Non-Paintable under coating that sets up HARD, remains somewhat flexibal, and has a semi-gloss texture finish. The dryer you spray it, the finer the texture. There are three coats on it and sprayed from 12-18" from the surface. Closer than that and it will have less texture.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Coming out great :thumbs: Glad you kept looking for a fill location . Did you loosen the fill plug in case you need top off as needed ? Al

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:38 PM

The tractor is looking great. It's been a while since we have seen any fresh JD green paint.
  • Trav1s and dave8338 have said thanks

#7 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 12:13 AM

Al... I loosened the drain plug just to see what color the fluid was and the FILL plug (with a little anti seize applied now). If it was dirty (brown-black) I was going to change it out. Turns out, somebody else must have had the same idea, however... they failed to refill it. :( When I removed the plug, there wasn't even so much as a drip! :wallbanging:
All I can hope for at this point, is that the guy I bought it from, was the one that "pulled the plug" and didn't use it much, after that.

Tonight, I buffed out the hood and installed the decals. My wife (bless her HUGE heart), left the room when I started to apply the decals as she knows by now (18+ years), that I tend to get a little "uptight" if things don't go according to plan. It has happened. Posted Image

The decals went on without a hitch and I'm pleased with the results. Here is what it looks like now:

Posted Image

The first two, were taken with the flash... looks like I have a bit more hand buffing to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And one without flash. It would appear that I need to change out a few light bulbs. :D

The tractor should be back together next week about this time (weekend FULL of prior dutys) and with a little luck, it will still run.

Edited by dave8338, October 06, 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Wow! You should be proud of a job well done.

#9 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, ACT.

It, like everything else, has taken too long however, if it lasts as well as the 116 5-speed, I should be done with it for the next decade or more. The front hood mount/bumper combo is the last on the list and then the hood can go on. Have it wired, all fluids changed out, greased, and adjusted. "Should" be ready to go.

#10 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Looking great, Dave! I know the "taking too long" feeling all too well myself.

#11 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thanks, Trav. I just couldn't put it back together knowing that with a little extra work, it would look good. The machine is a low hour unit and having to nearly split the frame rails to get the hydro fan in, meant it was going to be all apart, anyway.

Might as well paint it up while I'm at it. :thumbs:

#12 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:45 AM

When it rains, it pours...

Starter problems on BOTH machines. I knew the one on the 116H was going to need replacement however after work last night, I went to mow leaves with the 116 5-speed and when I turned the key...nothing. Check the battery voltage with my multi tester, 12.86 volts. Connections are all clean and tight so I continue with the multi tester and check for continuity at the starter post. Looks good... then it occured to me to check if there was any resistance between the starter post and the starter housing.

DEAD short. :(

Something must have let go or worn out so I have two new starters on the way.

#13 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:25 AM

I hate that Murphy guy!

#14 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 11:04 AM

I hate that Murphy guy!

... glad I'm not the only one. :ah_shoot:

Hey, at least I already have a tracking number. Ordered them last night at +- 9:30 and they are already on their way. So far...so good...on the service, anyway.

Edited by dave8338, October 10, 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#15 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Starters arrived on my door step this morning ! So far impressed with visual quality but time will tell. The one on the 116H that cracked to pieces, had a plastic bearing plate. Not so much... at least there is stamped steel, on this these.
  • Trav1s said thank you