#16 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:06 PM

In this Gt family opinions on this topic are as plentiful as arses anxious for seat time and range from lil or nuthin to just a touch and across the spectrum to museum collection quality, pimp my ride & monster trucks. And you know what.,? YOU'RE ALL RIGHT! IMO.

...Journey or Destination...

:big_hug:

• CASENUT, LilysDad and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#17 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,696 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 07:26 PM

The essence of 'spraying' paint is for looks....if you wanna spray, why not make it look 'great' even if you're only gonna use it...it will look better and give you a greater sense of pride in your work...Nope still won't work better...but, it will look better and be worth more when you do decide to sell it...IMHO

I agree with you there.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers here but If your going to do something (Such as painting) you mine as well do it right the first time and you will be satisfied with the results.
When I restore my tractors perfection and attention to detail is always top priority.
I always ask myself, would the guys who made these Bolens be satisfied with my work? Would this be allowed to leave the factory and be rolled out onto the showroom floor?

I'm not an expert in restoration and painting by any means.
Practice makes perfect. Each restoration you do will be better than the first, so don't be afraid to take a chance and try new ideas. Like NutCASE mentioned there's plenty of good how to videos out there :thumbs:
  • CASENUT and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#18 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Just to point out 'no ruffling' I didn't mean to do so anyway...I just wanted guys who may not consider the internet resources to do so...Bolens thx for pointin it out...

For those of us who do restoration jobs...we all strive for perfection :beerchug:
  • Bolens 1000 and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#19 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Going down the list of threads under this category, I see a LOT of talk of using spray cans. So you're saying ALL of those guys are doing it wrong simply because they aren't trying to use a spray gun. Don't deny it, that's EXACTLY what is being said.

Perfection is all well and good. Then there is the real world.

I see it as two choices, do what you can do, and do it well, or try to do something you can't do, and have a crappy outcome. I wonder which would give the best results, the most often, in the real world.

If you have the ways and means to mess around with 15 coats of paint, with hours of prep and clean up time, by all means, DO SO!

But DO NOT diss those without those resources.

In my original post, I stated, "Stay within your capabilities." I fail to see where that is wrong. If that's a spray can, fine, if it's $10,000 of paint booth and equipment, fine. But DO NOT DISS me for not living up to the money and time YOU CAN AFFORD to spend on painting.
  • BairleaFarm and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#20 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 11:48 PM

Well, I tried to point out that there are a few 'real world' choices and they can be found on google and youtube...so I will refer to one of those choices...
the firs is a roller job from youtube...nothing fancy here, some mineral spirits, paint and a roller...

So the specific requirement was spray...(same guy)

My capabilities tomorrow will exceed my capabilities today...I pray. The internet is 'free' so is the time to learn a new skill. Hence, if you don't have money does not mean you cannot attain knowledge, and the fact you can use a computer means you may use that device to learn new things,...So, perhaps you cannot afford all the best stuff, to know that it exists and how to use it will only further your skill level...

Besides, this guy in the videos gives a pretty good demonstration of what can be had with some rustoleum...right?

I did not mean for this to come across as a $ ?

Edited by NutCASE, October 09, 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#21 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 03:41 PM

I guess I'm happy to stagnate then. I tried a different way. Invested time and money into it. The results were not as good as if I'd just stayed with what I knew. Rather than keep wasting more time and money, I'll just stay inferior and happy as hell.

I have way more important things in life to worry about than whether or not I can see myself in the paint.
  • MR Simplicity 6111 said thank you

#22 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,696 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Going down the list of threads under this category, I see a LOT of talk of using spray cans. So you're saying ALL of those guys are doing it wrong simply because they aren't trying to use a spray gun. Don't deny it, that's EXACTLY what is being said.

Perfection is all well and good. Then there is the real world.

I see it as two choices, do what you can do, and do it well, or try to do something you can't do, and have a crappy outcome. I wonder which would give the best results, the most often, in the real world.

If you have the ways and means to mess around with 15 coats of paint, with hours of prep and clean up time, by all means, DO SO!

But DO NOT diss those without those resources.

In my original post, I stated, "Stay within your capabilities." I fail to see where that is wrong. If that's a spray can, fine, if it's $10,000 of paint booth and equipment, fine. But DO NOT DISS me for not living up to the money and time YOU CAN AFFORD to spend on painting.

I dont think anyone in this thread was " Dissing" and I dont believe anyone here intended to.......

#23 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 07:56 PM

Okay, folks! :ah_shoot: Time for a group hug!!! :big_hug: Come on. We're all friends here.
  • Bolens 1000, CASENUT and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#24 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hi, Just asking for some tips on spray painting the bodywork for my tractor. Thanks

When I saw this post I never intended for this to take the route it went. I most inaccurately thought it was 'open game' for any spray painting advice...so I took it that way and the thread quickly twisted and turned on me...so in the end it ended up being not spray painting with a gun...but spray painting with a can that he was specifically after...no where did it claim on a budget, or low cost...or quickie...just spray painting advice...definitely NOT what he wanted...Oh well next time I'll be a little more 'cautious' and reserve my opinion till later in the thread when this type of q is asked...

#25 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 11137
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 01:27 AM

When I saw this post I never intended for this to take the route it went. I most inaccurately thought it was 'open game' for any spray painting advice...so I took it that way and the thread quickly twisted and turned on me...so in the end it ended up being not spray painting with a gun...but spray painting with a can that he was specifically after...no where did it claim on a budget, or low cost...or quickie...just spray painting advice...definitely NOT what he wanted...Oh well next time I'll be a little more 'cautious' and reserve my opinion till later in the thread when this type of q is asked...

Yeah, well i did mean spraying with a can ( i should put more detail in my post)but I am looking into getting a spray painting gun, but not for this project. Thanks

#26 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 02:05 AM

Yeah, well i did mean spraying with a can ( i should put more detail in my post)but I am looking into getting a spray painting gun, but not for this project. Thanks

No problem...if there is anything I can do to help you at all let me know...

#27 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:12 AM

Okay, folks! :ah_shoot: Time for a group hug!!! :big_hug: Come on. We're all friends here.

:iagree:

THANKYOU!!!

#28 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Mr. Simplicity,

I think that post by NutCase sums things up very well, the video link of the guy painting with a spray can. He started with a clean workpiece, worked slowly, and I bet for a lot of folks his first finished coat of color would be fine enough. He takes it a step or two further with the clear and sanding in between coats though to get a superb shine, then buffed it some more. I happen to think this is pretty cool, but I am kinda geeky that way.

Do you have Rustoleum over there in the UK? If not, what is the major player in spray cans then?

There are paint shops here in the states that will put auto / impliment paint in a can for folks, real handy for touch -ups later on down the road.

If you can get your hands on some SprayMax paint from a shop, they are just amazing . A bit spendy, but the resulting finish is just great. Posted Image

Here is a fella doing a car body panel with cans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=08iHSCxza2o

And though I have not tried one of these gizmo's , it is next on my list of " Tools to Add " . Basically it takes the paint, charges it " + " , then a ground wire goes to the metal workpiece " - " and is supposed to help rattle can jobs , which I always seem to have a few of :-) Seeing as the parent company is a leader in electrostatic painting, I'm in for one . https://paintwrappro.com/helps/

Posted Image

Edited by marlboro180, October 10, 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#29 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:43 AM

If you go the spray gun route and never used one before you can practice on something that you might have just brushed anyway . I had an electric cement mixer that needed a painting , it gave me a little experence with the HF gun on something , Al