28 replies to this topic

#1 MR Simplicity 6111 OFFLINE  

MR Simplicity 6111
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 11137
  • 14 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi, Just asking for some tips on spray painting the bodywork for my tractor. Thanks

#2 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Well I hate to tell you this but I dont have any tips or tricks to tell you, but I do know there has been alot of discussions about this subject over the past few months. AQll I can really say is whatever brand you do go with, follow there directions. I decided to go to the store and pick up a few more cans of the paint I use for my project and saw they raised the price.GRRRRRRR lol They only raised the price on the " farm & implement " paint,the rest of what they sell is the same, instead of it being $5.49 /can its now $6.49/can ,It doesnt suprise me! I try to wait till I find it on sale and stock up.Cant beat buy 1 get 1 free
  • MR Simplicity 6111 said thank you

#3 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Stick with your abilities.

I've used spray cans for years, decided have a go at quart cans and a paint gun. Without someone standing there to teach you, you'll never get all the settings on the gun set right, and the resulting paint job will show it. At least for me.

I'm going back to what I know.

Edited by thirdroc17, October 05, 2012 - 07:57 PM.

• johndeereelfman and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Stick with your abilities.

I've used spray cans for years, decided have a go at quart cans and a paint gun. Without someone standing there to teach you, you'll never get all the settings on the gun set right, and the resulting paint job will show it. At least for me.

I'm going back to what I know.

Amen Brother, I'm with you! Spray cans are what I use, and what I'm good at, and my motto is.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

#5 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 01:19 AM

Please, to me this is a 'stick in the eye' Stick with what you know? Really, with http://www.youtube.com/, and https://www.google.com/ the internet you want to keep 'status quo' ...information has never been easier to find and gain. Thomas Edison is one of my heros why? ...In case you didn't know...
http://www.positivit...ps-for-success/

then there are sites like
http://www.hotrodders.com/ may deal with cars but the concepts are the same...forum membership is free!

http://www.autobody101.com/content/ another great free forum

Youtube one of my favorites is..
http://www.youtube.c...re=results_main

with a nominal investment in tools from http://www.harborfreight.com/ you could be well on your way to perfect paint.

The whole notion of 'sticking with what you know' to me is a 'cop out', Never be afraid to learn a new skill or task. The very process of learning is the process of growing... Sure you're gonna screw up, and it isn't going to be free, but if you make it fun and try there is nothing to do but gain for you.

There ae thousands of tips...right at your fingertips...and just because somehting is posted on the internet does not make it 'true' so go in with your eyes wide open, and ask quesitons of people your buying stuff from...and others that do this kind of thing...you'll see the rewards far outweigh the costs...GL

My Dad always taught me "Whether you think you can or you can't ...you're right"

Edited by NutCASE, October 06, 2012 - 01:26 AM.

• Bolens 1000, AcreFarm, bgkid2966 and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:11 AM

I made a mistake of using primer that wasn't compatible with the top coat and the finish wrinkled . Had to redo it with a different primer , Al

#7 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hi, Just asking for some tips on spray painting the bodywork for my tractor. Thanks

Are you gonna rattle can it or use an automotive sprayer? Either way, prep, prep and more prep make a job go great.

If rattle canning, test out your paints on an inconsequential piece, such as a shovel or something. This can let you know how it is gonna look, and if you might end up with the dreaded alligatoring.

Use gloves to handle the work, the oils on your hands transfer easily

Thin coats, applied wet on wet, allow for a good bond

If sanding after primer, shoot a guide coat prior to wet sanding

wash parts off with water prior to finish paint

be patient

Wear a respirator

If you get a run or sag, don't fret- paint cures eventually, and that is the perfect place to try your hand at wet sanding all the way up to 1000 grit paper ( or 2000_ ) , and learning the art of buffing LOL

mmm, What else do we have ????

Oh yeah Prep, prep, and prep....
  • sacsr, bgkid2966, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#8 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 03:55 PM

I've said this b4 , my next project I would like to use a spray gun. There is a harbor freight close by ,and I've heard people using them and having good luck. I dont know much about spray guns but I've been eyeballin one at lowes.Thought about buyin there smaller gun,think they call it a touchup gun whatever,I know they only hold so much at a time,but I dont plan on painting a whole truck. lol My oppinion that might be the one to go with,mayb e I'm wrong but I dont paint a bunch a parts at once,just a few. any advice on that? I'm sure I could get 1 a lil cheaper at harbor freight,but I like the one at lowes.Its under $40 .I know it takes practice to learn somthing new,esp. painting with a gun. lol
  • LilysDad and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 06:03 PM

I have the touchup gun from HF. It's just the right size for a GT, and you can buy one for the price of 2 spray cans. A spray can is okay if it has a good nozzle. I've had the cheap paint spit and sputter. With a spray gun you can mix custom colors.

#10 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ok now for some specific advise...
The guys have pretty much 'touched on it' Paint is 90% prep so sand sand sand...
Keep things perfectly clean, and keep dust down...
Typically use good automotive grade 'systems, from filler,epoxy primer, High build primer and a primer, sealer, and paints, - clear. In the end you wind up with products that work together and have no negative adverse chemical reactions. Which can cause a lot of frustration.
Once you have the 'system' and have all the stuff, hardeners, reducers, clear, make sure you review the product sheets for dry times...The sheets will give you specifics, like which gun tip to use, how much pressure at the gun dry times, touch flash times and times to remove tape.
Like someone else said use a nice light coat in the begining, making sure to wear some lint free clothes, and some rubber gloves. When the light coat is super tacky then you apply the next 'real' coat called a wet coat...making sure to overlap base by 50%. After the 1st coat of base has been shot and flashed...shoot the next coat. Most good paints will coat after 2 wet coats ...but you may need a third. (again this brings to mind if your painting a light color, yellow, white grey, silver etc get a white primer, if your painting green, blue red, black you could get by with a dark primer sealer combination. some people even if they don't have a specific color will get a color between the primer color and shoot a cheap base over it to 'darken' or 'lighten' the primer coat...which cuts down on cost...if your painting white and have a very dark primer your gonna need extra base if you don t' do it.
Take your time and follow the directions...pay attention to times and temperatures...
Keep everything clean. gun, tables, floor etc...many spray floors with water just before they shoot paint to keep 'dust down'...

buy some good sanding blocks durablocks...or others...but they are super important so your metal doesn't look all 'wavy'...

Harbor freight guns are great for what we do...if you're painting a show car then you will want some better equipment but harbor freight has this set...which has a good primer tip 1.8 a good base clear tip 1.4 and a detail gun. http://www.harborfre...-kit-94572.html they are a good gun set for $50.

Get plenty of sandpaper from 40-600 grit, for sanding the surfaces and fillers...all the way from the epoxy primer which requires 80 grit scratches to the final sand before base / clear which is 600.

did I mention keep everything clean?

Watch some of the youtube stuff I sent you, google and join the forums many of the guys are very helpful and knowledgable...have fun with this...it is cool once you 'get it'...GL

Edited by NutCASE, October 06, 2012 - 09:13 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#11 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:49 PM

NutCASE said it very well above. One little tip we forgot to metion is to attacha little clip of wire from the workpiece being painted, to ground. Soemitimes it matters not, sometimes, a lot, but it never hurts.
  • Alc and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 07:24 AM

..... and house flies are not your friend!

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 07:55 AM

..... and house flies are not your friend!

That's why they are called 'house flies'. Leave them in there so they don't get in your paint!
  • Team_Green and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#14 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 12:52 PM

I guess if one has hours and hours and hours of time to invest in painting, go for it. I simply don't have the patience to "grow" in my painting skills when it'll all look the same in a couple of months under dirt and scratches because I use my stuff.

Now if you have gobs of time, and want show queens, well of course devote those hours. Me? I've painted, cleaned up (All I had to do was tip the can over and spray a few seconds) and moved on to other areas of self improvement while some people are still adjusting their spray pattern.... :peace:

Getting something done in a perfectly acceptable manner, and moving on is not a "COP OUT". It's using ones available time and resources efficiently and wisely. Wasting time trying to improve something that doesn't need improving is just wasteful.

Edited by thirdroc17, October 07, 2012 - 01:49 PM.

• johndeereelfman and MR Simplicity 6111 have said thanks

#15 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 12:29 PM

You're right...it isn't a cop out if you just wan to spray on some paint and 'go', but if that were the case you probably wouldn't haveto many questions? No?

The essence of 'spraying' paint is for looks....if you wanna spray, why not make it look 'great' even if you're only gonna use it...it will look better and give you a greater sense of pride in your work...Nope still won't work better...but, it will look better and be worth more when you do decide to sell it...IMHO

Edited by NutCASE, October 08, 2012 - 12:48 PM.