33 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Alright i will admit,the blower is in the garage and it can put it on the 318 in about 20 minutes.
And can have the rear blade on the Ford 1500 in about 10 minutes.
Last year we only got about 3 snows of any significance. That was so wet and slushy it just plugged up.
I vowed I would have a blade to compliment it this year and that is one of the reasons i bought the Ford
Probably the biggest chore would be putting the chains on the Ford they are in a 5 gal bucket in the shed and are so heavy i can barely carry it.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 05, 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#17 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:04 AM

I bought my first snowblower a couple days ago.

It is a 1978 Gilson 5hp, 26" model 55133. The wheels are rusted to the axle shaft, and every bolt that I checked was loose, but I hope to decarbon the head this weekend and put new gaskets on the fuel tank and carburetor. I need to get a muffler, belts, change the oil, clean, lube and grease everything. I hope to have it in dependable working condition by the end of the month.

From what I’ve read the Gilson snowblowers were manufactured between late 1950’s and mid 1980’s by the Gilson Brother’s Company who had their roots in foundry work in Plymouth, WI.

By the way, I've read that a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF does a good job of loosing rusted parts. I've been using Kroil for years and always considered it superior to other rust penetrants, but I plan to try this mix tonight on my rusted wheels.

Pic's will follow.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#18 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:20 AM

I bought my first snowblower a couple days ago.

By the way, I've read that a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF does a good job of loosing rusted parts. I've been using Kroil for years and always considered it superior to other rust penetrants, but I plan to try this mix tonight on my rusted wheels.

Pic's will follow.

Cool hopefully you get a chance to use the snowblower. ,You're gonna be shocked at how effective the mix is!

#19 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:27 AM

Cool hopefully you get a chance to use the snowblower. ,You're gonna be shocked at how effective the mix is!

So you've used the 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF? From what I read rusted parts are twice as easy to disassemble than the best penetrating oil.

#20 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:29 AM

So you've used the 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF? From what I read rusted parts are twice as easy to disassemble than the best penetrating oil.

You'll see...I even ust it with taps/dies it's good!
  • TerryD said thank you

#21 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:30 AM

readying the tractors for winter around here mean changing the oil and running the fuel out of them... either that or just finding a reason to run them every couple of weeks. No need for a blade or blower in these parts. we get an average of one decent (read: 6") snow a year... I use a normal old steel transfer shovel as my show shovel.

#22 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 11:35 AM

I have a little time yet but as soon as the wood is all hauled in I'll get the weights, chains and blade mounted on the Power King and be ready. Between that and the FEL we'll be fine with whatever the winter brings. Then, once the leaves are done, I'll mount the chains and blade on the Wheelhorse to take up to my dads so there's something there to do his driveway aside from his snow blower. Is it winter already?

#23 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 01:59 PM

If it comes, I'll have to put a blade on one of my Gravelys or perhaps I'll put a blade on a Massey. Of course, my driveway is about 30 feet long, and we MIGHT get one decent snowstorm; but even that will be mixed with ice somehow.

Years ago, my wife and I had planned a trip from NC up to Snowshoe, West Virginia and spend a couple of days skiing. We actually left several hours before we had planned, because a large storm was coming in, although the Raleigh forecast was for a cold rain. It started snowing about an hour before we reached our resort, and then it continued to snow off and on for the next several days, I think the resort area ended up with about a foot of snow. The day we were to leave, the sun came out and all around was beautiful white snow. We drove into and through Virginia, and nothing but snow, lovely white snow everywhere. I kid you not, we crossed the NC border, and the "Welcome To North Carolina" sign was frozen and dripping icicles. The final 5 hours of our trip, nothing but ice. We stopped in Winston Salem to get gas and fresh drinks, and the service station parking lot was COVERED by about an inch of ice. And ice was all we saw, all the way back to Raleigh.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#24 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Howard, my sister lives in Burlinton ...Just a gorgeous place to live. The people are very respectful and hospitable...

#25 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Great place to live......Awful place to have a winter ice storm LOL.
  • CASENUT said thank you

#26 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Will be the first winter for my Case 448 with Blower. So I am looking forward to that. I also picked up another GT today. It is a John Deere 216 with a 37A Snowblower. It also came with a tiller, so looking forward in trying it out.

216 003.JPG

216 002.JPG

It is still on the trailer!

#27 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:29 AM

i dont think im going to let it snow here this year . it was nice last year with no snow .

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:41 AM

i dont think im going to let it snow here this year . it was nice last year with no snow .

Now that's the right idea!

#29 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:21 AM

If you can pull that off, I'm going to be looking to buy property in your area, you da man :rocker2:

#30 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:29 AM

Not getting any GT's ready here,just my big Ford 6640 4x4. (changing fluids,greasing,etc.)