#1 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 06:26 PM

Check this out,anyone ever heard of one of these?This write up was originally written by " Uzzors 2k " .
A ragtime classic given new life through SCIENCE! The music you hear is being emitted from the streamer discharge on the Tesla coil. This is a demo of the ATtiny2313 MIDI player being used to interrupt a solid state Tesla coil. A MIDI song is played on a computer and MIDI signals are sent to the interrupter with a USB to MIDI interface. The interrupter then decodes the MIDI signal, plays each note, and sends them down a fiber optic link to the Tesla coil. When a note is ON, the coil turns OFF for a very brief amount of time (It runs 95% duty cycle when playing a single note). The frequency the coil is interrupted at corresponds to the frequency of the note being played. The result? Audible music! The MIDI interface allows keyboard players to play music directly on the coil as well!

Edited by mjodrey, August 05, 2010 - 04:43 AM.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 06:52 PM

That was phenomenal! I'm not really sure what the practical applications are, but I think the guy (or girl) is a genius!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 08:27 PM

Tesla Coils are fantastic devices. We used to play with them in electronics school, didn't have a lot of practical applications, but that was REALLY cool. The explanation helped. I believe what is happening is modification of the (?white / pink?) noise created by the arc. This would remove all the other wavelengths, leaving only the input frequency. Kind of like taking a lens that absorbs all light but blue, when you look thru it you see... blue light. Can anyone say "Heathkit"? I'm gonna send Caseguy a link, he'll eat this up. (and correct me where I'm wrong LOL)

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 11:10 PM

Upon thinking about it...as opposed to just marveling at it...I believe that it's really more straight forward than that. The interruptions occur at the frequency of the signal being sent to the coil. The coil becomes a transducer and simply "modifies" the natural sound of the streamer discharge to match the frequency of the notes being fed. It would be interesting to see if the notes are a true tonal representation of the sine wave being fed or if there's a "base" level of sound that is added by the coil.
Upon rereading the original description, mjodrey, I see that you said it was your MIDI player being used. Does that mean you were involved with this setup?

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 04:31 AM

caseguy,
No,it wasn't mine,I just copied and pasted the write up about it.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 04:46 AM

Here is one more.

#7 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 07:48 AM

Tesla coils have been used by Hollywood for many movies such as Frankenstein and Young Frankenstein. Whenever you see high current leaping from one dome to another dome, that effect was created using a Tesla coil.

Nikola Tesla was one of the brilliant minds of the day when it came to developing electricity into something useful for mankind. In my opinion, he should be elevated to a status far above Edison. Believe it or not, Edison wanted to wire the country with DC and had it not been for George Westinghouse and Tesla, we might not have the AC power we enjoy today. Tesla is also the father of the AC induction motor and easily could have become the wealthiest man in history just from the royalties that he eventually turned away from. His story is fascinating. While we associate his name with the Tesla coil, which was simply an experiment on his part to show how alternating current could be transformed from low voltage to high voltage, he remains relatively unknown to the general population. Imagine where we'd be today without AC motors or the ability to convert high voltage to low voltage and then back to high voltage?

Forty thousand volts comes down your street, reaches a transformer and enters your home as 240 volts with a neutral that gives you 120 volts as well. Those old TV's we had before the flat screen models of today, took that 120 volts and converted it back to thousands of volts to make the picture tube work. I'm not saying that someone else might not have come along and discovered what Tesla did but at the time Tesla did his work (prior to 1900) electricity was simply a toy.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 04:12 PM

Tesla is one of my heroes as well, Hydrive. He worked for Edison when he came to this country and it was the debate over AC versus DC that led to their falling out and Tesla going to work for Westinghouse. I agree, his is a very fascinating story that more people should know!

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:47 PM

Tesla is one of my heroes as well, Hydrive. He worked for Edison when he came to this country and it was the debate over AC versus DC that led to their falling out and Tesla going to work for Westinghouse. I agree, his is a very fascinating story that more people should know!

Yes, I watch every time a documentary is on about Tesla. It makes my blood boil how Edison ripped Tesla off. Edison was NOT a nice man at all. Funny how when I was in school, no mention was made about Tesla & how Edison was a thief. Many things were glossed over in our earlier years of schooling.

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:16 PM

They still are! I read a good book called "Lies my teacher told me". A real eyeopener! I recommend it highly.