UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 04:49 PM

EDIT: In order to try and stop people from reading the first post here and giving me the same tired answer I am going ot include this at the top I will leavy my original post below, but I would really like an answer to the quistion I have asked now a million responses saying it cannot be done.

REVISED POST

Ok lets try again. Take the tractor out of the equation. Lets assume I have a super monster oversized commercial 750000 pound industrial tractor that I am going to build a loader for.

What PSI pump and diameter cyls and hoses are needed to make it lift 1000 pounds .

After I posted the original post I was contacted by a guy I have been trying to reach for a couple of days about a bigger tractor that would become the basis for the loader. .

original post

I am thinking of building a loader for one of my tractors. Haven't decided which one yet. (yes I know I will have to beef up the front axle) But I have been looking at different sites about hydraulics trying to educate myself. Only problem is that the ones I found were for engineers and by engineers. I am not an engineer, I have only ridden on a train once. So what I need is some hydraulic help. Can someone tell me in simple terms without a lot of math what kind of Hydro system I would need to lift approximately 1000 pounds + the weight of the loader arm and bucket so figure about 1300 tops. I want to be able to lift it around 5 feet high to be able to load a pickup truck over the side so there will be a bit of lift needed. What size pump and cylinders am I looking at needing?

The reason I am wanting about 1000 pounds of lift is it will be picking up scrap metal and I want plenty of leeway on the lift.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, October 04, 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 05:01 PM

1000 lb lifting capacity is quite a bit for a GT , that might be into the compact tractor range but I'm sure there will be someone that will be able to get you some suggestions , , Al

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 05:12 PM

I know it will be a stretch for GT it won't lift that much often but having the ability would be nice. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

#4 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 04, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Alc is on to some thing. How do you expect to lift 1000 lbs with a 800lb gt.
The skidsteer at work is only good for 1100lbs
You are gonna need some bigger tools

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 05:16 PM

1000 lbs on the front will equate to nearly that at the rear. not sure if a GT can handle that much.

#6 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 04, 2012 - 05:21 PM

I have never owned a gt with a loader, so I am not an expert on this. What little I have seen is they do great with mulch and horse doodie but anything more than that is kinda pushing it. Anyone ever lifted a full bucket of wet sand with theirs?

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Ok now that everyone has told me that I can't do it can someone tell me what it would take to do it?

I may have a line on a larger slightly unconventional tractor, but I am not counting my chickens until it is in the yard.

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:00 PM

You also need to figure that 1,000 lb. will multiplied some due to the distance from the bucket center line to the front axle center. Also better figure on adding lots of weight behind the rear axle. On a more positive note, if you're talking loose scrap I don't see how you could get 1,000lb in a GT bucket unless you build it really deep.
Mike

#9 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Ok now that everyone has told me that I can't do it can someone tell me what it would take to do it?

skid steer is the easy answer.
With out getting into all the "engineering math stuff", the higher you raise the load ,the higher and more forward the center of gravity moves. To counter act that you need to add weight to the back which will get transferred to the front axle, until all of the weight is on the front axle (if the load is heavy enough and the hydraulics can lift that much. A typical 1" spindle (unless it has a crap load of KPI) will not handle more than a few hundred pounds. Picture a right triangle, once the back end of the tractor comes off of the ground, all the weight will be on the front axle. Getting the bucket far enough out front to dump in the back of a pick up bed without beating the hell out of the fenders, will require more weight in the rear of the tractor.

Edited by rat88, October 04, 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#10 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:06 PM

This is not the first time someone has asked these questions :) 1000 lbs in the bucket, plus the bucket weight around 200 means 1200 lbs out front. Put counterbalance on the rear, and you are asking the front axle to support 2400 lbs. And you'll need to add enough weight on the rear so that the rear tires can actually bite. I think previous answers have been to limit the bucket to between 3 and 500 lbs max capacity. I'll try to find one of the other threads.

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Ok lets try again. Take the tractor out of the equation. Lets assume I have a super monster oversized commercial 750000 pound industrial tractor that I am going to build a loader for.

What PSI pump and diameter cyls and hoses are needed to make it lift 1000 pounds .

After I posted the original post I was contacted by a guy I have been trying to reach for a couple of days about a bigger tractor that would become the basis for the loader. .

#12 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:32 PM

If you are looking to load scrap, you might look into building a rear fork lift. there is a pic of one around here some where.
Rear axles are a little more suited for the heavier weight. You should be able to handle 5 to 600 lbs depending on what kind of tractor you are putting it on. I use my LGT195 with a 3 point fork to load scrap around the house but I have a ramp where I can back right into the bed.

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Would something like my 3400 Ford be something you would want to use ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1218100850.jpg

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Ok, here is one of the threads I had in mind, talking about the loader and GT.
http://gardentractor...hl__loader help

Lots of good stuff there.

#15 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

The next question is what parts do you have to work with. A scratch built loader could run into a big chunk of change.
A used loader might be the quick and dirty , cheaper route. And no engineering required