#1 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 11:01 AM

The majority of people in some country of Southeast Asia, such as Thailand, have to tend their own yard. Because the average yard size of most people is not as big as the yard in the United States. So people will go out and shop for their own lawn mower from a retail store, which some time the shop owner do not has an experience enough to suggest the most suitable one for the customer.
Unlike in the United States or the European country that usually go for a riding mower. In Thailand, the riding mower will only be used by the golf court, Mower Company, or a house with a huge lawn which is not commonly seen in the city. So the most popular lawn mower type in Thailand is a typical modern gasoline-powered push mower, which is the most suitable choice for most of the house in Thailand. This type of mower seem to be the best choice for a house with a fair amount of yard and tends their lawn regularly, since this type of lawn mower isn't capable of operating in the lawn that the grasses are too tall.
The second ranking is the handheld one, not the electric handheld but it's the one that use gasoline. The second most popular lawn mower tends to solve the problem of the gasoline-powered push mower. With this gasoline handheld mower, it doesn't matter how tall the grasses are, it is capable of clearing out the untidy fields. From the experience, people in the rural areas, usually use this handheld one to clear out the tall grasses, then later use the gasoline-powered push mower to finish the job.

Next is the corded rotary lawn mower, with a rear grass catcher. Not all houses need a typical gasoline-powered push mower. So for a small size house with limited yard size, the corded rotary lawn mower is an attracting choice, due to its small size, light weight, and also acceptable price. In the past decade, there is another type of electric lawn mower that was sold widely, but it is already vanished from today market. That type of lawn mower is Hover Mower.
Choosing lawn mower seems to be a complicated job when you have to start from zero. Different types of lawn mower have their advantages and disadvantages. By just choosing from what you think is best might not be a good idea. Because after choosing what types of lawn mower you want, next is the branding problem. Which brand is the best one, which has the best materials and last the longest. These problems will just disappear if you have professional consultants.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#2 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:42 PM

"These problems will just disappear if you have professional consultants."

Absolutely right! In my case 45 minute sessions by a professional consultant made my problems disappear... Well, most of 'em.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,926 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 07:05 PM

"These problems will just disappear if you have professional consultants."

Absolutely right! In my case 45 minute sessions by a professional consultant made my problems disappear... Well, most of 'em.

I'll disagree, in your case, strongly. And I only know you from a distance.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 08:30 PM

I know this article may seem a little strange or boring or what ever. I liked it because it made me think, does a professional consultant make things easier? It made me think of choices I have made, good and bad.
When I was younger I went looking for a car that got decent mileage. I could not get anyone to really help me. I mean really take the time to listen. Because of that experience I ended up in the car business for over 22 years. Hopefully making a positive purchasing experience for some. Its really about relationships. If I ended selling only 1 car in his trade cycle, I failed.
I have bought a few (very few ) new riders and equipment. I have found someone that knows his product and listens. So I stay with them. It really does not matter if it is Thailand or the Twin Cities. People want to deal with someone they trust.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 08:52 PM

Steve, thanks for your last post, as it explains better your reason for posting. At first, many were perplexed at what you were trying to get across with it, and at first we thought it strange. I understand exactly what you were getting at now.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:02 PM

I had a customer wait for me for about 45 minutes on Wednesday. I was out of the office on a call & they came in to find me not there. They asked that the office call & see how long. I told them about an hour & they asked for a chair for their older father.

While they are very interesting folks, it does my heart good that they trusted me & my opinion mattered enough that they waited.
They were having a problem with a used fridge that they had bought from us, & I was able to discuss the situation with my boss & make it fair for everyone. They now have a different (better) used fridge and we did the exchange the first thing next day.

I work with a good crowd, only one person I don't advise people to when I'm not there, but it's nice to be wanted. This seems to be something that the kids asking me if I want fries with that dont seem to understand. While I may not be pretty enough to stare at, I can do so in the mirror with only a small wince.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Steve, thanks for your last post, as it explains better your reason for posting. At first, many were perplexed at what you were trying to get across with it, and at first we thought it strange. I understand exactly what you were getting at now.

:iagree:

Thanks Steve, that helps a lot.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:00 AM

Out DIY culture kind of leads to a need for consultants. Previously we used to hire writers, photographers, carpenters, etc. at a much higher rate. People think they can do it themselves now. Things are rarely that simple. Complicating that is the number of people, most of who know little about the product either, trying to sell things for quick buck.

When I first started looking for a GT, I knew almost nothing about them. I remembered my uncle having an old Case, but that was about it. I knew a fair bit about older field tractors, but they are quite different. When I started to research on the internet. I got a lot of contradictory information. I didn't really figure things out until I had a short conversation with a JD mechanic who had nothing to sell me, but did have a fair bit of knowledge.

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'll disagree, in your case, strongly. And I only know you from a distance.

:D X 100 = Fallen Ass

Re: "Consultants" It has been my lifelong learned experience that it, on the average for an average guy asking average advice, it will take approximately 5 meetings with various consultants and 7 cases of failed "consultant recommendations" and the ensuing costly disappointments before one finally has to admit the guys weren't "consultants" at all but SALESMEN.

A Sears salesman/used car salesman could be called a "consultant" and we know how that usually turns out. Your trusted JD salesman in a dealership doing pretty good business would fall more nearly in the area of a consultant but more on the side of propagandist... Having learned my lessons, I want to use the internet, common sense, other owners (forums), etc. before I ever take anything for "Gospel" anymore from anyone. Just make sure your trusted "consultant" isn't working on commission.

"Consultants" are used by big busines/companies to access knowledge that they feel none of their staff is qualified for. I don't know of ONE person I've ever met (or even heard of) that could be considered or even considered himself a "Lawn Mower Consultant", and really was. I'm sticking with my own research, B.S. detector and internet forums and the combination of all of those to reach any conclusions regarding anything "lawn mower".

Edited by HydroHarold, October 05, 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:03 AM

A Sears salesman/used car salesman could be called a "consultant" and we know how that usually turns out. Your trusted JD salesman in a dealership doing pretty good business would fall more nearly in the area of a consultant but more on the side of propagandist...

See, that's why that JD mechanic was so important for me. First thing he said about GTs was, "They're all pretty similar, just make sure you get one with a full oil system and a solid frame." No propaganda, no pushing his favourites. Then he went on to explain that I was likely going to end up with a John Deere because they were about all that was available around here in my price range, but that if an old Case or Massey popped up, not be afraid of it.

Of course he wasn't hiring himself out as a consultant, but he did what a good consultant does...gave solid, unbiased advice.