• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#46 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Right now, I'm reading a book by Roger Welsch - Old tractors and the men who love them. It's a journal, sort of, of an amateur's attempts to restore an old Allis Chalmers.

You sure that ain't LTG's " Guide to rebuilding Bror, Ernie et all " ???? :rolling:

#47 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 11:58 PM

I wonder about "electronic books"... How does one pass them along to others that need less expensive reading. At least print books get used over and over again or am I somehow missing yet another "benefit" of the electric gadget age?

#48 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 06:50 AM

Another mechanical book is simply titled "Truck". It is also an amateur's attempt to restore an old Dodge truck with mixed results.
  • caseguy said thank you

#49 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I wonder about "electronic books"... How does one pass them along to others that need less expensive reading. At least print books get used over and over again or am I somehow missing yet another "benefit" of the electric gadget age?

That's achievable with the Nook at least, but you have to sign up for the Barnes and Noble "club" (or whatever they call it). Your friends also have to sign up and you have to list them as "friends" on the site and then they can "borrow" the digital copy from you. It's not the easiest thing to do and there are some titles that it's not allowed with. On the up side, as was mentioned before, there are thousands of free titles available, and some of the new releases are just a few dollars. Without the cost of materials, printing, and binding, the publishing companies and authors can make the same money and charge a lot less for the book.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#50 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 11:56 AM

Right now, I'm reading a book by Roger Welsch - Old tractors and the men who love them. It's a journal, sort of, of an amateur's attempts to restore an old Allis Chalmers.

Is that the same
Roger Welsch that did the Post Cards from Nebraska feature on SUNDAY MORNING program years ago?
He had been a sucessful journalist out east and moved back to his home in Danenbrog,Ne. That is a predominently Danish community north of Grand Island.
He always cracked me up and had an interesting look at life.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 20, 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#51 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 05:10 PM

One and the same.

#52 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 01:41 PM

I just finished reading "The Loop" and it was well worth it! Great book! I've also read another book that Hydro Harold suggested. I'm going to need a new list by the time Christmas rolls around.

#53 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,872 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 12:31 AM

Good greif, where do we start? Every thing that Louis L'Amour ever wrote, Elmer Kelton, Elmor Leonard , Dorothy M. Johnson, Ralph Cotton, Larry McMurtry, and that's just a starting lineup. In mysteries we're currently reading Ian Rankin, Elizabeth George, P.D.James, Ruth Rendell. Sci. fi./ fantacy, Anne McCaffery, Guy Gavrielle-Key, Robert Jorden, --- my head is spinning, will add more later.

#54 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 11:43 AM

depends on what you like to read i love history type stuff right now im reading "fire UNDERGROUND" BYDavid DeKok its on the centralia mine fire ill be getting a few more bokks on this topic my wife is reading about ghost stories in the area. almost any western is a good read Louis L'Amour is a great author my grand pa has his complete colection

#55 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 01:57 PM

Of course I've got several mag's I like to read when sitting on the thinking chair... but I have a hard time sitting around reading when I'm at home... I'm usually out tinkering or playing with the wife or the kids. When I do manage to read I really enjoy the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. There are 13 books and I'm on my 7th one.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#56 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 12:08 PM

Okay! We're out of here tomorrow early. I want you all to have a Blessed Christmas. Those of you who enjoy plowing snow, may you have 40". To those who don't may you have blue sky. I hope your all here when I get back, barring an international power failure.

Anyone between Illinois and Virginia who has a GT in pristine condition you don't want, just push it over by the Interstate and I'll snag it as I go by. :thumbs:

#57 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Is there any room for GT's in the caravan, or is it full of books?

Maybe you should post your route, so some folks can meet you along the way:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I don't know your guys' impression, but to me those dogs look hungry.

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 16, 2012 - 04:29 PM

Okay! We're out of here tomorrow early. I want you all to have a Blessed Christmas. Those of you who enjoy plowing snow, may you have 40". To those who don't may you have blue sky. I hope your all here when I get back, barring an international power failure.

Anyone between Illinois and Virginia who has a GT in pristine condition you don't want, just push it over by the Interstate and I'll snag it as I go by. :thumbs:

Have a safe and enjoyable 'vacation'! See you when you return!

#59 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 07:55 AM

I very much enjoyed both of these and just now finishing the Knight Story-If you're a round ball fan it has lots of insight and
personal stories.

Attached Thumbnails

• PC170127.JPG

#60 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 18, 2012 - 12:31 PM

Well, let's see.

Sci-Fi: Anne McCaffrey's Dragon riders series is really good, as is Jean M. Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear series.

For mysteries, it's hard to beat Tony Hillerman's mysteries that take place on the Navajo Reservation. It's a good look into the Navajo culture and religion as well.
  • oldedeeres said thank you