67 replies to this topic

#31 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 05:07 AM

I hear that the good Reverend Blair has a couple of published stories as well that he may repeat here so that you might find them to digest as well!

Not much on the internet except some dull how-to stuff. Here's one from the Walrus (Canadian magazine). It's shorter than when I wrote it...they cut the whole bit about buying potatoes in a bar in Minnesota and most of the black hole stuff, as well as the part about using obscene words as punctuation. I'm not sure if that made it better or not, but it did make it publishable.

http://www.thewalrus...-event-horizon/
  • caseguy, Michiganmobileman, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#32 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 05:30 AM

Not much on the internet except some dull how-to stuff. Here's one from the Walrus (Canadian magazine). It's shorter than when I wrote it...they cut the whole bit about buying potatoes in a bar in Minnesota and most of the black hole stuff, as well as the part about using obscene words as punctuation. I'm not sure if that made it better or not, but it did make it publishable.

http://www.thewalrus...-event-horizon/

Thanks for the read this morning Blair. Never stirred the Event Horizon before, but now when making any stew I will think of you , rolling a smoke sliding sideways in yer truck . :bigrofl:

#33 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,661 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:30 AM

Not much on the internet except some dull how-to stuff.

I have got to have the collected works! Any idea where I can find them?

#34 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have got to have the collected works! Any idea where I can find them?

:ditto: I loved it! If more recipes were written that way I'd cook more!

#35 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,469 Thanks
  • 39,703 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Great recipe! Now to find that 10 gal. pot to make it in!

#36 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:59 PM

I can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned or I somehow missed it,either way it's a great read!
Garden Tractors by Oscar H Will IIIimages.jpg
  • LilysDad said thank you

#37 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Were the last 4 as good as the first 3?

Don't feel bad about rereading your favorites, as a teenager, I read the Lord of the Rings 3 times.
Even had a poster. (nerd alert). (that admission will probably haunt me at some point)
And as for crazy, you got a long way to go.

As a late answer to your question Alan, yes I think they were.
The usual mix of keep you on the edge passages surrounded by the normal SK stuff. They are a continuation of the journey started in the first three, told in true King fashion. As the travelers continue their quest you get some background from Rolands younger days including some forbidden romance for him as a young man and the ensuing consequences. An encounter or two with some ferocious beasts, a request from a town for the Gunslingers help with the towns problems. The results of the meeting between Susannah and the beast the second time that Jake was drawn in to the "Ka-tet". The culmination of the long journey is worth the trip for us dedicated readers, now as far as the ending goes.......................................................

Yes Alan if you like Stephen King you should continue the journey. I can box em and send em to ya, on loan of course, as I wont need them again for another 8 years or so.
  • MH81 said thank you

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:58 PM

I think I'm going to add the series to my Christmas list. I saw all 7 on Amazon for $35.

#39 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like a good deal for all of them. My series is a hodgepodge of hardcovers and paperbacks but the story stays the same. Enjoy!

#40 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hey I just had a thought. There is a 1/2 price Book store in Des Moines. And may be in othere areas.
I've found I can save a lot of money buying books read by others first. I am a book horder and never sell one after I've bought it. But my parents buy a number of books, read them and swap them out for new ones every couple months.

Another way to stretch your reading dollar is with a Kindle or Nook.
There are thousands of books available for download, that the copyrights have run out on and are free downloads. This I know because there are 3 in my home, belonging to my wife, grandaghter and daughter.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 12, 2012 - 11:48 AM.

• caseguy said thank you

#41 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:48 PM

We have the "Paperback Book Exchange" in Mt Pleasant. I can usually walk out with 4 or 6 PB's for 10 bucks or so. Trade in the old ones that you are done with for someone else to use. CANT throw a book away. That is something that was ingrained in to me at a young age by my Grandma and my Father. The only time my eyes see a brand new PB is at Christmas time as Kathy knows my favorite authors and the latest books out are usually a safe gift idea.
  • caseguy and LilysDad have said thanks

#42 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,661 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Right now, I'm reading a book by Roger Welsch - Old tractors and the men who love them. It's a journal, sort of, of an amateur's attempts to restore an old Allis Chalmers.

#43 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:24 PM

...Another way to stretch your reading dollar is with a Kindle or Nook...

I know what you mean! We have 5 Nooks and one Kindle. Last Christmas, that was the "big" gift for the entire family. Barnes and Noble was clearing out their 1st generation Nooks to make way for the "new & improved" version and they were reasonably affordable. My youngest daughter killed her's within the warranty (yes, she reads THAT much!)and it was replaced by a 2nd generation model. The Kindle had more kid friendly titles available (Wife did all the research), so we got that for the youngest son who is 7.
I'm very proud to say that all four of our kids are very good and avid readers! My youngest daughter scored at a 12th grade level on last year's aptitude tests. She was in 6th grade at the time.
We used to get them a scad of books for Christmas, but for the price of digital copy books, they can get 4 times as many "books" for the same money.
We bought my oldest son 25 books (the thickish Star Wars novels) one year for Christmas and he had them all read by the end of January!
Sorry. I seem to have gotten on the Proud Daddy train there for a minute...I guess my point is that I think the Kindle / Nook route is a good one. They take up very little room and the charge lasts a long time. That said, I still like the feel of a good, old fashioned, real paper book. But for trips (or extended seclusion LOL) It would make packing much easier.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#44 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm very proud to say that all four of our kids are very good and avid readers! My youngest daughter scored at a 12th grade level on last year's aptitude tests. She was in 6th grade at the time.
...I guess my point is that I think the Kindle / Nook route is a good one. They take up very little room and the charge lasts a long time. That said, I still like the feel of a good, old fashioned, real paper book. But for trips (or extended seclusion LOL) It would make packing much easier.

Good to see any young people into reading.
Congrats to your youngest. :thumbs: :thumbs:
I too like the feel of a real, paper book, but may try out an E-reader at Christmas time.
  • caseguy, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#45 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 10:27 PM

Boy I.m all for that! Been a reader from the time i first learned and it has done me well. Im of the opinion that you dont have to be smart if you can read. Anything you want to know about someone smarter than you has already written a book about the subject.
  • caseguy and LilysDad have said thanks