Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kohler Service Engine Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 08:06 AM

When you have so many forums, you're never sure quite where to post certain things. I think I'm ok here but we seem to be not quite as anal as some other places. Anyway, here's my situation. This spring I bought a brand new kohler k321 service engine to put in my Power King with FEL. It was one of two they had left so I was fortunate to get it. Once installed it fired right up with no adjustments and I've been running it like that ever since. It's now through it's 5 hour break in period so I will change oil and whatever else needs done as soon as possible. The thing runs great except for one thing. If I lift the FEL or the back blade OR I let the clutch out to move (this thing is heavy) the engine acts as if it wants to quit. Usually it picks right back up and everything's cool until the next time. Sometimes it will quit unless I choke it real quick. Anything that puts the engine under load. Now the carburators that come on these do not have the adjustments that the old carbs do. I think I have an idle and a fuel adjustment only. I played around with the fuel adjustment last night and that really didn't seem to do anything. As I see it, there can be one of two problems here. Either it is a carburator problem and I just need to have some patience and get it tuned in or it's a governer adjustment. Could this just be a break in thing that will eventually go away?

Edited by David Brown, October 04, 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Could be breakin but with 5 hours on it that's mostly done IMO. I'd look at the governor linkage and move it one hole in the direction that increases sensitivity. I'd check out all the other systems that support the engine, fuel tank and lines, battery and wiring for instance, just to verify everything is OK. I'm wondering if you have a fuel restriction or maybe a low voltage on the coil causing weak spark.
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 08:37 AM

I thought about the fuel restriction issue because that's exactly what it acts like. I haven't had the time to dig into it that much but I plan to look at all possibilities whenever I do this oil change. The coil is brand new and came with the engine but I guess that really doesn't mean anything. I'm really leaning toward the governer adjustment but I was curious as to what others come up with. Usually someone comes up with something that I never considered. Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind when I bring it in for the oil change.

Edited by David Brown, October 04, 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 08:54 AM

Could be a few drops of water in the bowl. When you move it a bit, it sucks a little up.

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'd say a governor adjustment or its in the transition from the idle circuit to the main circuit in the carb. You would want to adjust your man mixture at more of a full throttle. If you can't make anything change with that adjustment then you definitely have a carb problem. Is your old one still usable? I've heard that when this engine was in production that there were different carbs for different horsepowers. Now its a one size fits all sort of a deal.

#6 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:31 AM

I will also jump on the gov sensitivity issue. Sounds like it is set a little on the stiff side.

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Well I played with the sensitivity on the governer and it made a little difference. I went to the book that came with the engine and saw that the governer may need adjusted when it comes out of the box. Pays to read I guess. Anyway, I adjusted the gov. tonight but I never put the sensitivity back where it was. Now the governer doesn't kick in at all. Can this adjustment go too far? It's very tight in there and I did the best I could but it seems as though I need to find a happy medium. I did some stuff with the tractor and it never missed a beat but the gov never kicked in either. Perhaps I need to put the sensitivity back where it was before I adjusted?