#16 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Missed this post and I do need to say a big Thankyou to daytime Dave for the pictures and the info.I never knew that there was such a thing as electric gt's made.Agreed that with everything going green nowadays if the price wasn't to bad I'am sure they would go over pretty good.Always nice to learn something new.I've seen electric push mower's and have run electric powered forklifts but never seen or heard of electric GT's.They look pretty nice as well.Again thankyou.Larry

#17 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,620 Thanks
  • 3,857 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 08:50 PM

Being in the forklift industry I have had the opportunity to work on a few.
Older units just had a resistor system. Not the most efficient system.
I do keep Curtis, Danaher, and GE SCR and Transistor Controllers that come back from warranty with "no problem found".
These control systems are much more efficient than the older resistor system that dissipated a lot of your power as heat. There has been a lot of advances in electric drive system in the last 3-4 years making them very efficient.

#18 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:33 AM

hydriv
It has neutral in the transmission. It's a regular transmission powered by one or two belts off an electric motor. The number of belts depends on the model. My E20 has two drive belts. I probably won't be able to measure until this weekend. When were you going to have yours shipped? What did you get?

Glad you got to see this massey driver.

I'm working on posting my accessories next.

#19 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 09:56 AM

Dave, I bought an E-20. It comes with a deck and blade. There is a chap who wants the blade but I'm not sure what the value is. Perhaps you can help me in that department. Right now, the tractor is sitting in AZ and is paid for. I'm trying to find the most economical way to get it to Michigan where mastiflawyer's farm is. I will eventually retrieve it from his place and bring it home to Ontario where it will undergo a full restoration. It won't see much use after that as I bought it primarily to show it since Elec trak's are almost non-existent around here.

In the meantime, I will continue to gather information off of the Elec trak owner's website and elsewhere to prepare me for the tasks at hand. Apparently the charger is no longer functioning but I'm sure that isn't a big deal. I intend to replace the bearings on all three deck motors immediately as well as checking them for other problems in advance of asking them to perform any work. I understand that there is a special procedure that must be followed in dismantling these motors so I will obtain those instructions prior.

I had tried to buy an E-12 that came with a spare deck from another e-Bay seller but thanks to him blocking non-US bidders, that deal did not materialize. I even sent him 2 e-mails about it because not a single person bid except me and my bid did not go through. No reply. I took the hint, moved on and bought this one instead. My interest lies with Colt and Case tractors only but I am making a single exception for this one because of what it is. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed one bit.

#20 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 04:39 PM

That was a decent looking rig in Arizona. Good for you. I see you made it over to the other site.
I'll bet that Elec Trak will turn a few heads up north. People I know could usually care less when I get a new (used) GT, but they ALL were impressed with the Elec Trak. People have asked a lot about it.

#21 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:58 PM

hydriv, daytime dave,

The guy you want to talk to is "mr electrak" I haven't seen him here but he's on MTF, if he doesn't know I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#22 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 08:26 AM

DH1

Great to know. Thanks!

#23 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,620 Thanks
  • 3,857 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 09:12 AM

Just ran across this when checking on METI.
Replacement parts and manuals are still available from Bill Gunn in Wisconsin (Technical Service & Parts, 7898 North Pineview Drive, Edgerton, WI 53534, 608-868-6220).

#24 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 07:44 PM

That was a decent looking rig in Arizona. Good for you. I see you made it over to the other site.
I'll bet that Elec Trak will turn a few heads up north. People I know could usually care less when I get a new (used) GT, but they ALL were impressed with the Elec Trak. People have asked a lot about it.

Yes, I figured I might as well join there since they have a pretty good repository of tech info and since I know next to nothing about these tractors, it's a good place to start. The E-20 does look to be in fair shape. The fact that it has spent all its life in AZ bodes well when it comes to lack of rust. The seller as been great to work with so far. He's very happy that I bought it because he wants to see it restored instead of being parted out. I'm sure that it will draw alot of interest at the shows. Garden tractor collecting is truly in its infancy here in southern Ontario but I expect it will grow over the next few years.

Some of these shows also have pulling contests. I think that one of these could do quite well in such a contest and would certainly be a novelty.

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 08:28 PM

I think that one of these could do quite well in such a contest and would certainly be a novelty.

It would certainly be the quietest pull through ever seen, & only seen...because it can't be heard!

#26 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,620 Thanks
  • 3,857 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hydriv
What will you do when that dang thing needs an oil change?

#27 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 13, 2010 - 10:29 PM

Actually, I haven't thought that far ahead. I am in the process of gathering all the manuals. When I get all of them, I will do a thorough review and get back to you on that issue. No doubt, there will be someone who will come along and extol the virtues of synthetic oil from one brand or the other. And of course, what would a mowing deck be without a fresh set of Gator blades?

#28 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 14, 2010 - 05:22 PM

hydriv
Keep us posted on your progress.

#29 meb OFFLINE  

meb

• Member No: 1042
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 14, 2010 - 11:14 PM

Very cool find!
meb

#30 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 15, 2010 - 06:39 AM

hydriv
Keep us posted on your progress.

At the moment, the only progress to report is that I sold the blade for $125.00 to one of the unsuccessful bidders. That means that the E-20 cost me $85.00 where it sits in AZ. The next bit of progress will be to get that tractor to mastifflawyer's farm in south Michigan so he can drool over it.

Ducky,

I've been unable to find any info so far that tells me how often I need to perform decarbonizing. Do you have any insight into this?
  • sacsr said thank you