#1 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,387 Thanks
  • 3,809 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:14 PM

Late last week I hooked the trailer to the Suburban in anticipation of going to a tractor show. The Suburban has been sitting most of the year as I have been too weak to take a full load of tractors to any show. Mostly I have loaded one or two tractors in one of the pickups and went that way - no trailer.
In checking the machine out for the trip I decided I better check the pressure in the spare tire. It is inside with a heavy carpet cover over it and the windows are tinted so dark you can't see in. I leave the windows cracked so heat doesn't built any more than it has to and the Suburban was parked in a mostly shaded spot all summer. When I pulled the cover off, this is what I found.
If driven every day radials hold air good but let them sit two weeks on a seldom used vehicle and they will be too low to drive on when needed. Then they break a belt or throw the tread like this one.
The only good thing about this ordeal is this tire would slowly leak over time and sometime after the tread separated the tire actually blew out. Since most of the pressure had leaked before it blew it didn't take out the quarter panel window. :itsok:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000952.JPG

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,480 Thanks
  • 7,625 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Well that just sux. never had a problem with mine leaking down. Maybe because I don't run Uniroyals.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:26 PM

So if no one is around and a tire blows in a Suburban, does it make a sound?

Like you said atleast the glass didn't break, Luckily!

#4 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 12:13 AM

That reminds me... I gotta check the spare under Wifey's Explorer. Should be OK, I checked it about 5 years ago...
  • Gtractor and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,673 Thanks
  • 28,322 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:56 AM

Only time I had that happen was in a parts car parked 2 years with the spare on the back seat. It took out the dome light, but that was it.

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,322 Thanks
  • 4,917 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Can you imagine driving in rush hour traffic and having that thing blow up inside the vehicle. There would have been more than rubber pieces on the seat when it was over. :o

#7 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,287 Thanks
  • 6,490 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 04:51 PM

That's crazy ! We've had truck tires blow while they where just sitting in the parking lot but never heard of passenger tires now there 2 here !! Al

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,645 Thanks
  • 39,016 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 04:58 PM

I had a spare for my trailer blow out. Took a couple days before I figured out what made that noise!

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:39 PM

We had a radial tire just about blow on a trailer (while sitting) a few years ago. Dad caught glimpse of the bubble in the tread one day and approached the tire carefully to let the air out thru the valve stem.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, October 04, 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#10 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:48 PM

I've seen 3 spare tires do that over the last couple years, just blow up sitting still!! Speaking of that, I had a bus sitting next to my shop about a year ago, and I was in my shop working when I hear the most aweful explosion, and stuff hit the side of my shop! I go outside, and one of the buses tires had exploded leaving a pretty good size hole in the ground. The tire didn't appear to be dry rotted, and had lots of tread. :confuse: It was a radial.

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 07:31 PM

I was on the interstate passing a dump truck and heard an awful "BOOM" one day. I never saw anything, but figure it had to have been one of the tires blowing out.

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:28 AM

I was on the interstate passing a dump truck and heard an awful "BOOM" one day. I never saw anything, but figure it had to have been one of the tires blowing out.

I had a big tridem semi blow a tire beside me on the highway this summer. It was like a cannon going off, and it filled the cab of my truck with smoke. Found bits of rubber on my deck when I got back to the shop.

I wouldn't blame the spare blowing on radials. I've seen that happen on the old bias plies...on a split rim too, so it could have been way uglier.