15 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • Member No: 11780
  • 20 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:38 PM

John Deere 318 Tractor

If you have heard about what the best lawn and garden tractor of all time is, then you may have heard of John Deere 318 tractor. Ask any lawn mower or a gardener, they would no doubt tell you that the John Deere 318 tractor is the best tractor that they have ever seen.
Posted Image
Way back in 1983, the John Deere 318 tractor was developed introducing a new breakthrough in gardening.

This happened when John Deere completely redesigned their 300 series, wherein the John Deere 318 tractor was released with new design features, which make it the best garden tractor available. What makes it even greater is that the attachments from the previous designs released, namely the 140 and the 300 series, can be used in this revolutionary garden tractor. So if you have one of those, then you can surely use those attachments if you also buy a John Deere 318 tractor.
So what are the features of the John Deere 318 tractor that make it revolutionary? First of all, it has an Onan engine made of two cylinders that is air cooled, with cast iron cylinders. With this feature, you can now be assured that your John Deere 318 tractor will not overheat, even if you use it for over a few hours. Also, the Onan engine operates with 18 horsepower, which is indeed powerful, which is exactly what you need when mowing. It also has an incredible heaving ability making it very easy to utilize. Unlike other tractors that have to be put off for a few minutes to cool down, the John Deere 318 tractor will continue working because it has its own air cooler. This also has an Open Frame configuration system, contrary to the closed system of the previous products. Furthermore, the John Deere 318 tractor has annunciator lights that are added into the dash panel.
When working with a tractor, the first thing that you have to consider is your safety while handling your machine. With the John Deere 318 tractor, your safety is ensured for it has an electromagnetic clutch at the front and rear of the power take off part. For both your protection and comfort, the fender deck of the John Deere 318 tractor was redesigned for it to have a more squared off look. Talking about comfort, the John Deere 318 tractor has a hydrostatic power steering that has drastically improved operator comfort. You no longer have to suffer from back aches and other body pains after mowing your lawn with a John Deere 318 tractor. Other garden tractors take a lot of effort and energy to operate which won’t be a situation you have to deal with when working with a John Deere 318 tractor. It runs smoothly, with an engine that will not just run the tractor but will also save you a lot of strength and sweat.
Durability is a very important factor to be considered in a garden tractor. With the John Deere 318 tractor is sure to last despite being used for a lot of time. It doesn’t matter if you use it for a couples of times in a week, for the John Deere 318 tractor has a lot of years to go. You can use it anywhere, whether in a flat lawn, or in a hilly environment. What’s even better is that you can use it in places where you get to have regular snowfall. The John Deere 318 tractor actually comes with snow blowers. So when winter is approaching, you can wipe the frowns on your forehead for clearing the snow would really be simple. What you need to do is just attach a snow plow or blower to the John Deere 318 tractor and you’re good to go. You can now get rid of the snow in your backyard in a very easy way, and you might even enjoy doing it. The gloomy days of dealing with your lawn during winter are now gone.
Contrary to what some people think, the John Deere tractor is actually very cost-effective. The price starts at about $10,000, depending on the model you are getting if it has two cylinders or just a single one. You might think that this is a bit on the high side but think about the quality of the tractor you are getting. John Deere is a name that is one of the most trusted when it comes to garden and agricultural equipment. Over the years, the company has been producing equipment that are trusted by most people. The John Deere 318 tractor is one of the best that they have ever made, and paying a price at that range would yield a very satisfactory result.
Now that you are aware of the features of the amazing John Deere 318 tractor, you don’t need to think twice about which garden tractor to buy. That would definitely be the John Deere 318 tractor, the best garden tractor of all time, with the most trusted name.
  • york0060, MH81, 101 senior and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks!

As much as I love me a nice 318, the yanmar-powered variants turn the volume of the 318 up to "11"

318 + Yanmar 3 cyl diesel = 330 and 332
318 + Yanmar 3 cyl gas = 322

The 322 is the tractor that I hope to own some day. :smilewink:
  • twostep said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Nice Writeup on a nice tractor :thumbs:
Although I disagree that the 318 was "The best Garden Tractor of all time" as there were a couple other brands out there at the time that In my opinion Had a slight advantage but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

#4 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:19 PM

How about the 316?
this is the cheapest one I have seen for a while
http://kansascity.cr...3287884655.html
  • Trav1s said thank you

#5 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:29 PM

I think the 318 raised the bar for what a 'garden tractor' came with for features. 2 spools of hydraulics. Power steering. And a nearly indestructible hydro.

But just imagine if all the brands would of gone to a 540 rpm pto and cat 0 implements around 1980 or so. Sears, Bolens, WH, JD, Simplicity, Gravely (well, not them) but virtually everyone. We'd be in attachment utopia.

#6 Kyocum ONLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 07:55 AM

Cub Cadet built an equivalent tractor 4 yrs prior to the 318 with larger tires and a bigger frame. The Super 982

#7 Gary400 ONLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 03:59 PM

why why why did i sell mine :mecry: .

#8 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm glad I bought mine.

#9 clopen42 OFFLINE  

clopen42
  • Member No: 58096
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 10:58 PM

318 engine cranks but no spark.  Have an old 318 that has been extremely good/reliable; Started a usual, ran a few seconds, then just died. I checked fuel before realizing no spark at plug.  Coil is good, plug wires good, new plugs, points appear to work. Safety switches ok, otherwise I don't believe starter would engage.  It has been such a good machine I don't want to give up on it. Anyone have a similar experience and know solution?

#10 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 01:44 PM

318 engine cranks but no spark.  Have an old 318 that has been extremely good/reliable; Started a usual, ran a few seconds, then just died. I checked fuel before realizing no spark at plug.  Coil is good, plug wires good, new plugs, points appear to work. Safety switches ok, otherwise I don't believe starter would engage.  It has been such a good machine I don't want to give up on it. Anyone have a similar experience and know solution?

If you deside to sell that thing let me know, I have been looking for one.

#11 Hammerdown ONLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:23 AM

Hello clopen42

You most Likely have a bad condensor. The Onan engines are known to eat condensor's. I eliminated mine as it was always giving up the ghost. David KirK engines sells the cure to problematic condensors it is called the Point's saver. It is an electic Moduel that takes the place of the Ignition condensor. It takes less than 15 Minutes to install comes with good direction's and you will never have any ignition issues again. I have had mine for a year and a half now running on my Onan in my 318 with no issues and it only cost's $32.00 shipped to your door. Here is a link to them. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

http://www.kirkengines.com/

• crazyhorse said thank you

#12 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Hello BiFoot

I have had my 1983 John Deere 318 about Eight year's now. it mows two full acres of grass per week. I restored it a year and a half ago and Placed a new fresh built Onan P-218 in it. I like it so much that I recently built a 1991 John Deere 316 for my son in law that also has an Onan P-218 in it. Here is the pair Both shown restored. Regards, Hammerdown

004526.JPG

001736.JPG

002649.JPG

003600.JPG

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#13 chuckerfarm2014 OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm2014
  • Member No: 62364
  • 27 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Yea cub cadet 982 didn't have power steering so that's a big bummer. Still to this day I haven't seen a garden tractor compare to frame size and the ease of attachments the waY deere did it.

#14 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 09:10 PM

318's are nice but I enjoy it's bigger brother the 420, three spool hydraulics, power steering, two speed rear and a diff lock, with the 400 and 430 they pretty much were the forerunners of the sub-compacts.

#15 TheJDMan OFFLINE  

TheJDMan

• Member No: 708
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:07 PM

The 318 is a nice tractor, but the 322 and 332 are even nicer.  I own one of each so I have first hand experience with each.