Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Whats Your Prized Possession In Your Bolens Collection?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 05:36 PM

Here's a fun thread for you Bolens collectors out there :D
If you had to choose your "Prized Bolens in your collection" what would it be?
Answers can be based on a variety of things such as Rarity / Uniqueness, Family history with the machine, ect.

This can be for any type of Bolens equipment ( snowmobiles, Chainsaws, Tillers, Tractors, ect.)

I know a few of us are really attached to some of our machines (Myself included :D) So I will make this your top 3 Bolens in your collection
Please post a short response as to why you chose that particular piece of equipment and as always :picsoritsnotyours: !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll Get the ball Rolling and post my top 3

1). Bolens 1000 (1965)

My Bolens 1000 will always be my favorite in my collection as this is the first Bolens I ever drove and has been in the family since 1966. My Grandfather originally purchased it 1 year used to cut the grass and snow blow the driveway at his house.
It may not look the best right now but it will always be my favorite and someday Be restored back to the way it was in 65'.

bolens 1000 3 012.JPG

2). Bolens Green Brier (1960)

Although I have owned this for less than a year the Green Brier is #2 on my list mainly because it is a neat piece of Bolens history and is pretty Rare ( I have yet to see another). Its amazing how well built these were for such a small mower!

GB.jpg

3). Bolens Heavy Duty Versa-Matic (1958)

This was a tough decision but I would have to say #3 would be my 1958 HD Versa-Matic due to the variety of attachments available at the time and how ruggedly built these were.

HD versa matic 008.JPG
  • grand, Texas Deere and Horse, brownboystoys and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm not a Bolens collector but I have a neat one can I play

#3 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:54 PM

010.JPG HERE ARE MY TOP THREE BOLENS PRIZED PIECES. 1956 RIDE a MATIC WITH BOLENS CART THAT HAS FOOT BRAKE AND METAL TAILGATE. 1959 RIDE A MATIC ANT THE ENTIRE BROWN BOYS GANG. AND A BOLENS PLANTER WITH ROW MAKER. tHIS PLANTER IS A BOLENS BECAUSE THE MOUNT IS MARKED BOLENS AND IS NOT BEEN USED AS FAR HAS WE CAN TELL. LOOKING FOR SEED BOX LID.

Attached Thumbnails

• 023.JPG
  • 036.JPG

• Bolens 1000, grand and MailmAn have said thanks

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 12:17 AM

Pretty easy for me.

#1 would be the 800. It was my FIL's and was buried in the back corner of the garage. It had the front blade on it, and the Brinly Dump attachment was in a side room. It's the Bolens that started the 'madness' :D

100_3441.jpg

#2 would the the first G11...the 'Holy Grail" of the tube frames.

100_4173.JPG

#3 would be the HT20D.

100_4312.JPG
  • Bolens 1000, grand and MailmAn have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 06:45 AM

010.JPG HERE ARE MY TOP THREE BOLENS PRIZED PIECES. 1956 RIDE a MATIC WITH BOLENS CART THAT HAS FOOT BRAKE AND METAL TAILGATE. 1959 RIDE A MATIC ANT THE ENTIRE BROWN BOYS GANG. AND A BOLENS PLANTER WITH ROW MAKER. tHIS PLANTER IS A BOLENS BECAUSE THE MOUNT IS MARKED BOLENS AND IS NOT BEEN USED AS FAR HAS WE CAN TELL. LOOKING FOR SEED BOX LID.

Very Nice!
Those Dump carts are pretty rare
Whats the model # on the ID tag of that Seeder?

Also, if you don't mind would you be able to get a picture and measurements of that decal that is on the chain guard.I'm going to need to get it reproduced when I restore mine.
Is that original green paint on that 56'? Looks like its in pretty good shape if it is!

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 02:31 PM

Anyone else want to post ?
I know there's more out there :D

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 03:12 PM

here is my stuff i started out with a bolens 1254 that was given to me from my uncle Tom (thanks) i learned alot from that then i got a 750 then i was told by my other uncle about a scrap yard he thought he knew where it was (turns out he was wrong nearly got shot ) we found the place and i asked if the fellow if he had any Gt's so we walk to the second field and on the way there was a tractor on its side and there was grass growing out OF THE TIRE i get closer and realize its a h14 i had never owned a hydro and had to buy it so he said 75 bucks came back the next weekend and got it and got her home rolled off the trailer and smashed into the tree then i stated work on the engine (it was beat) cleaned the carb and replaced seals then i tried to start it ran like crap and lit fire and would not drive (turns out there was water and next to no oil in the trans )so i tryed to fix the carb (and forgot the tighten the throttle plate screws the bolts got sucked in to the engine i had a 10 hp engine that i bolted on then i got a free Gt that i traded for a twin briggs 16 hp mounted the fuel tank under the seat and performed a heart trans plant now i have added many things such as 10 amp alternator and power steering and aux hydraulics (thats on the way) its a awesome tractor
my second favorite thing is my shredder it was given to me this is the first one i have seen when i got it it was in mint shape next to no use i need to get it out and use it
and my third favorite thing is 1254 that started it all
cheers
Tyler

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0620.JPG
  • IMG_0199.JPG
  • IMG_0201.JPG
  • IMG_0200.JPG
  • IMG_0195.JPG
  • IMG_0197.JPG
  • IMG_0198.JPG

• grand and MailmAn have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 05:48 PM

I have 4 tube frames and 2 large frames that don't run but I plan to fix up. I have a 1250 that runs and by default is my favorite. The other 1250 will become my favorite when it is fixed up. It belonged to a WWII vet whom I bothered about it for almost 20 years. We had some nice long talks about tractors and the Army. When he was dying he told his daughter to sell it to me after he was gone. Unfortunately other projects keep taking proirity over fixing it up..
My old Raider 9 Wheelhorse that I've had for over 30 years but isn't running is my third favorite. It is my first GT and has done alot of work for me.
  • grand and MailmAn have said thanks

#9 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:44 PM

The only Bolens that I have are my collection of Ridemasters.
My favorite is this 1948 that is restored.

Posted Image

I am also very pleased to have found a 1947 Ridemaster but it is not restored.
This was the first year for the Ridemaster and these models were built in the FMC plant out in California before the Ridemaster production was moved to Wisconsin.

Posted Image

Edited by jdcrawler, October 04, 2012 - 10:00 PM.

• Bolens 1000, grand, Bruce Dorsi and 1 other said thanks

#10 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Nice Ridemasters you have there and a really interesting piece of Bolens history! It is interesting too that the 1947 you have there was built in California and not Wisconsin. I had always found it odd for some reason that it seems all the lawn and garden equipment that was made in the U.S.A. was made in Wisconsin for some reason. It seemed like every company had their manufacturing plants out there: Briggs and Stratton, Techumseh, Ariens, Bolens, Wisconsin engines (of course!), and I'm sure many, many others...

It is a very interesting design as well. I wonder if Bolens modeled this Ridemaster after a kid's tricycle at all? :rolleyes: It even drives the front wheel like one, even though it isn't pedal powered! The steering wheel is a bit different though. Still, it's just an interesting tractor to look at and a neat piece of history. I'm sure there weren't all that many produced to begin with (just after WWII) and I'm sure even fewer have survived all these years later! Hold onto those and keep them in good shape! :smilewink:
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#11 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Nice Ridemasters you have there and a really interesting piece of Bolens history! It is interesting too that the 1947 you have there was built in California and not Wisconsin.

It is a very interesting design as well. I wonder if Bolens modeled this Ridemaster after a kid's tricycle at all? :rolleyes: It even drives the front wheel like one, even though it isn't pedal powered! The steering wheel is a bit different though. Still, it's just an interesting tractor to look at and a neat piece of history.

The Bolens Corporation was located in Port Washington, Wisconsin and had been making walk behind tractors since the 20's.
FMC ( Food Machinery & Chemical ) corporation of San Jose, California bought out Bolens in the mid 40's.

In 1946 FMC built a self propelled garden tractor that the operator could ride on.
They basically used the design of a walk behind tractor and a sulky and put them together to make the tractor.
The factory called these tractors "Ridemasters" but that name was not put on them anywhere,
The tractors were made in FMC's Bean Cutler division and that is where the tractor got it's name.
Here is a photo of a FMC Bean Cutler.

Posted Image

After FMC bought out Bolens, they modified the Bean Cutler a little and brought it out in 1947 as the Bolens Ridemaster.
Because they were already setup to build the tractor out in California, they went ahead and built the first Ridemasters out there while they were getting the Wisconsin plant setup to take over production for the 1948 model.
The Ridemaster was manufactured from 1947 thru 1958.

Edited by jdcrawler, October 05, 2012 - 07:46 AM.

• grand, Bruce Dorsi, redcarkids and 1 other said thanks

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 07:59 AM

The Bolens Corporation was located in Port Washington, Wisconsin and had been making walk behind tractors since the 20's.
FMC ( Food Machinery & Chemical ) corporation of San Jose, California bought out Bolens in the mid 40's.

My Literature states that the "Bolens products company" was aquired by FMC cooperation on September 1st 1946 which then the company name became "Bolens Products division"

#13 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 01:59 PM

Very Nice!
Those Dump carts are pretty rare
Whats the model # on the ID tag of that Seeder?

Also, if you don't mind would you be able to get a picture and measurements of that decal that is on the chain guard.I'm going to need to get it reproduced when I restore mine.
Is that original green paint on that 56'? Looks like its in pretty good shape if it is!

#14 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hello. Thanks for the comment. If you are looking for decals Mr Hank Watkins of wisconsin makes the complete set for the trractor and they look great.The paint is not orginal and has been painted 15+_ years. The 59 is a closer match and everyone seems to lik it . Mr watkins phone number is 715-228-4862 Great load of knowledge.

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the info.
I have heard all good things about Mr Watkins from quite a few people over the years but have yet to deal with him yet.
Does he have a website or does he just deal over the phone?