12 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 06:41 AM

Do you restore a tractor? Or at least give it a paint job? If a deck is bad what do you do? Paint it and put it with a faded less than perfect tractor?

Sent from my HTC One X

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:31 AM

First, let me admit I do not 'restore' tractors. I like the term 'refresh'. My Homelite T15 is a good example. (cousin to your 410)

When I got it, it would run well, but wouldn't start worth a darn. So, carb clean and new battery. New fluids all the way through. (engine, rear end, hydro, BGB) Then I had a tractor that ran well, but looked rough.
Homelite 2 004.jpg Kayla's program, Homelite 006.jpg

The hood looked good, the frame, seat pan, and the rims (rears) were faded and starting to show rust. The fading I can handle, but I hate rust. So I removed the hood, the battery and fuel tank, and seat pan, and cleaned, wire wheeled, and sanded what I could get to. Then I slapped on a couple of coats.
repaint 001.jpg repaint 003.jpg

On the attachments, I strip them down as far as I am comfortable going, then clean up, prime and paint from there. I got lucky with this one. The mower deck and tiller were nice, the plow was the only thing that had some work to do on it. It had been re-worked for a 4 wheeler, I had to torch that off and build new attachment arms.
Homelite 002.jpg deck redo3 001.jpg
Kayla's program, Homelite 008.jpg tiller 002.jpg
Homelite 006.jpg blade.jpg

The rear vac blower unit didn't have a darn thing wrong with it, but I was on a roll:
Kayla's program, Homelite 013.jpg 2010 Henning Christmas 016.jpg

The snowblower didn't work well (strike one) had some rust going on the bottom, (strike two) and was now the worst looking attachment. (strike three)
Homelite 008.jpg Kayla's 12th Bday 036.jpg

The Jacobsen I picked up this summer won't get touched until I figure out why the hydro isn't putting out full pressure. Then I'll go nuts.
Jacobsen 422D.JPG

(is that enough pics for one post?) :laughingteeth:

Edited by Cat385B, October 03, 2012 - 04:22 PM.

• MH81, KennyP and Delmar have said thanks

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:47 AM

I dont restore either... I refurb as well. Nice equipment you have.

Sent from my HTC One X

• Cat385B said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Thus far, I am along the same path, refresh/refurb. I like the refurb term better, cause I try to fix issues as I have it apart for paint. Both the tractors I have done were refurbs. Now the Cub 108 I have may be a different story. It will be Forty years old next month, so I just may do a restore on it come spring. I have the paint guns to do a 'better' paint job and someone to help with putting it on. Just have to go stay a LQ one night so I can gets my ducks in a row!

#5 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hey that is nice work Cat. I like the Homelite looks nice.

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 11:02 AM

I have refurbed one but I think on my wifes Sears 8E I might go the full blown restore route. when Heath is old enough to work on his I will let him decide whether to restore or refurbish.

#7 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 02:36 PM

Restore is when there is little to no paint and tons of issues in my opinion. I like refurb better though. That is when the tractor needs new paint and it has some mechanical issues. The 630 when I got it was refurbed and same for the 2520. Both ran good but not great and paint wasn't the best. So they got "renewed".

Attached Thumbnails

• Oldcamera080.jpg
  • 160.JPG
  • 184.JPG
  • 235.JPG
  • 245.JPG
  • 271.JPG

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 03:01 PM

The Jacobsen I picked up this summer won't get touched until I figure out why the hydro isn't putting out full pressure. Then I'll go nuts.

Scott...are you talking lift pressure or hydrostatic (to move) pressure? Start a thread on it. I had issues with my JF F935 front mower with hydraulic pressure.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:39 PM

I am definitely not in the restore category either. Probably more of the refurbish kind of guy. My Fordson ran like a clock and looked like a boat anchor. I like to take off everything that is easily removed and then if there is something needing fixed it gets done. After that it's clean and paint.
painting 003.JPG

It is back on it's wheels and running again. Just painted the rear fenders today. Hood, grill, and tool boxes are left and then she's done. Did weld the extra holes in the fenders shut and took out the major dents.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Do you restore a tractor? Or at least give it a paint job? If a deck is bad what do you do? Paint it and put it with a faded less than perfect tractor?

Sent from my HTC One X

So many variables for answers David. It's pretty much a case by case personal decision.....then there's the financial limits that hit us a lot of the time that control how much we can do!

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:22 PM

I am definitely not in the restore category either. Probably more of the refurbish kind of guy. My Fordson ran like a clock and looked like a boat anchor. I like to take off everything that is easily removed and then if there is something needing fixed it gets done. After that it's clean and paint.
painting 003.JPG

It is back on it's wheels and running again. Just painted the rear fenders today. Hood, grill, and tool boxes are left and then she's done. Did weld the extra holes in the fenders shut and took out the major dents.

Thats looking good Chris!

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Im also in the refurb group. I"ve never seen a restore where those who know more than me, would pick apart and point out all the errors. So if I DO IT MY WAY, ITS MINE.

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:44 PM

In my opinion, a restoration is putting a tractor (or whatever) as close back to original as possible. If something is missing or broken, you find one from a donor that is model/year correct. And you repaint it to factory correct colors.

Steve Guilder's work is what I think of when someone says 'a restored GT'.