#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hello I'm aquiring a snapper LT16 Hydro in a few days and I have a couple questions.

It's shaft driven hydro with a 16hp Briggs oppossed twin.

It has 3 bolt hubs on the back and the tires are junk on it.I would like to stick a set of 5 bolt 23x9.50x12 AG tires on her but,will I need to change the hubs?And does anyone know of a Hub that will fit?

Also does anyone know anything about these transaxles?Are they as tough as one of the bigger 1650s? or are they weak like one of the cheap MTD built hydros they are selling at Home Depot now a days.I plan on pulling a fairly heavy cart loaded with wood and plowing my garden with my 12" moldboard every year with it and mowing because it has a nice big deck.

The original tires are Aprox 21 inches tall 9 inches wide and 9 inch bead.

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Eric, I don't know anything about it, but I'm interested in what you find out. From the "LT" designation, it sounds like it should be an inexpensive lawn tractor and you wouldn't want to try plowing with it. Ditto with those relatively small tires. But then, it has a shaft driven hydro, which seems to fit more the garden tractor mold.

Anybody else?

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 06:11 PM

Oh it's a Snapper Hydro but the original engine was an 18HP Kohler oppossed twin.It has been swapped out for a 16hp Briggs twin.Went down and looked it over,he wants $250 for it.I need a dependable tractor to mow the community building lawn.It's a little over an Acre.The tractor has a 48" deck and I know they mow really nice.It comes with a Lawn Sriper that hooks to the back of the tractor.It's just a weighted 5"x50" roller with bearings.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 03, 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well I finally went and picked up the snapper LT16 It has it's original engine and It's not a Hydro but I got a good deal on it IMO.It runs very very well but it needs 1 spring for the drive disk.I have allready ordered the spring and a new drive clutch as the one in it is a bit worn.Spring was $4.95 + 1.95 shipping and drive clutch was $14.00 locally.It has a 48" 3 blade deck with caster wheels on all 4 corners.It is going to need the rear tires replaced but I have a line on a set of ATV tires that will fit.

I really don't think this one was used that awe-full much.It's fairly clean and nothing really shows any sign of wear other than the drive disk but the tensioner spring being broke would cause alot of clutch slippage so that explains that 1.It sat outside and uncovered for 3 years with a flat rear left tire.

I cleaned the tank and carb,put fresh gas and my good battery in and it fired up.It Runs super smooth for sitting.I'm surprised it didn't need a fuel pump kit but is runs and Idles perfectly without having to have the choke pulled out.It has 6 speed forward 1 reverse and Hi/Lo range.Friction Disk tranny with Hi/Lo is so cool and simple to work on.And it's got a Twin cylinder briggs with Dual Mufflers hehehe :rocker2: :rocker2:

Here are the Pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 000_0106.JPG
  • 000_0108.JPG
  • 000_0107.JPG
  • 000_0111.JPG
  • 000_0110.JPG
  • 000_0109.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, May 04, 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have the same tractor, but it was a LT (Lawn Tractor) 13 with a flat twin Briggs, shaft drive but friction disk clutch. I put an 18 hp Briggs in it--pretty much bolt in job.

There was a snow plow for it so it may work for you, but the LT means it's essentially a mower.

The manual should be here on the forum for download. I'm thinking of parting this one out. I'm in UT, but it may still be worth your while...

Regards,

Utah Smitty.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 03:44 PM

I downloaded the Accessories manual for it.They sold a tiller,wheel weights,tire chains,2 different sized dozer blades,dump cart,bagger and a bunch of other stuff for it.I wouldn't mind finding a Bag-n-wagon,tiller,plow and a set of wheel weights for it.

I got my clutch spring today and installed it.She moves again.I do have to get a clutch disk for it yet.The one on it looks to have been chewed on by some sort of critter.It may last for a while though but you can feel it skipping in the clutch pedal.

I did a compression test on the engine and got around 132lbs on the left cylinder and 130lbs on the right.Had to try out my new harbor freight compression tester lol.

I mowed with it today and I'm very very impressed in the power and cut quality of the 48" deck.I leveled the deck after I figured out where the leveler was located.I put the deck down to 2" and set the scalp wheels and away we went.I mowed in every gear and found that the engine will keep up with the deck in 6th speed in Hi range just fine.It doesn't bogg down at all.I mowed our 3/4 of an acre yard in well under 20 minutes.I'm happy happy happy.:) :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, May 06, 2013 - 03:45 PM.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Does anyone have a parts machine?

I'm missing 1 small important part.Snapper part #7014447 which is listed as NLA through Snapper.

I need this part As soon as possible.I ordered a new drive disk and main drive spring that should be here any day.This is my only mowing machine now as the others need more parts than just a small metal button to make them mow again.

After I took mine apart and went through the manual and was trying to figure out why the drive disk was chewed up the whole way around I found that the button is missing.The bearing is still there but the button is gone.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg
  • 000_0113.JPG
  • 000_0112.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, May 08, 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 03:24 PM

If I park it in Neutral without setting the brake it will chew up the disk.I'll just have to remember to set the brake if I get off of it while it's running or it will ruin the new clutch disk that I ordered.

It takes the same Clutch disk as some of the older RER Snappers.But this one has Hi/Lo range gears in the transmission.It's quite a bit faster than a RER in Hi range and a tad bit slower than a RER in LO range. The maunal says 0.6mph to 5.5mph mine feels like it's a bit faster than 5.5mph in 6th Hi.

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I ended up buying another clutch disk that still has the Neutral button in it.The disk that I bought is all scored up but the button is in good condition so I'll press out the bearing and button and put it in My disk.

The Button is NLA from Snapper.I talked to a Snapper dealer on the phone and he says I could take the bearing out and run it without a button but I have to set the spacing Perfect so it doesn't drag while in neutral and still operate through the entire speed range.It sounded like more of a Pain in the butt than it is worth. 

Here is what I got for $23.00 shipped on ebay.Good button and junk disk.I needed the button because I bought a new main spring and a new friction disk.Don't want to be replacing the friction disk every couple months.

Attached Thumbnails

• $(KGrHqJ,!lgFF-C0ytthBRjFN7d+cw~~60_57.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, May 10, 2013 - 05:40 PM.