6 replies to this topic

#1 HotRod OFFLINE  

HotRod
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10342
  • 3 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Picked up a MF 85 for $50. Its all there and not in bad shape other than the paint peeling off. I took the original 8 hp engine off because it was missing alot of parts and replaced it with a newer 11.5 hp briggs. More than likely ill have to redo the wiring and some other odd and end stuff but its a good project. My question is are these rare? Or just not very popular? Anybody got any information on them? Ill get some pics tommorow when i get home.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:41 PM

They aren't that common, but not sure if I'd call them rare. I used to own one, and I converted mine to hydrostatic, and put in a 12.5 IC Briggs in mine. It mowed great with the side discharge deck I had. Some had rear discharge decks. The original tranny was prone to failures, so when mine joined that club, that's when I put hydro under it. Sold it a few years ago though as I just never used it.
Here's a video clip of me mowing with it: MF85 Video

Here is a pic after rebuilding her:

MF85.jpg
  • HotRod said thank you

#3 HotRod OFFLINE  

HotRod
  • GTt Junior
  • 3 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:54 PM

This ones side discharge also, But ill prolly take the deck off. My plans are to paint it and use it around the house. Hopefully ill have it moving under its own power tommorow.

#4 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:03 PM

I don't think they are rare.I have one that i paid the same price you did.I bought it from a mower shop as a parts unit.Shop rebuilt motor 3 yrs prior to me buying it.They sold it.Owner brought it back 2 yrs later said it no longer moved.The owner didn't want to put any money in it.So they parked it with there junk,parts machines.I stopped in to pick up some parts,and he knew i collected Masseys.Said boy do i have a deal for you.I went and looked at it and he said make me an offer.I was a little leary of this because i thought he would want top dolar for it.I offered him $50 for it and he laughed.I said isn't that enough.He said i wasn't expecting that much.I was thinking to my self i should've offered less.I brought it home thinking the trans needed rebuilt.I decided to first check the belt.It was off.I put it on fired it up up and away i went.Motor runs excellent,trans is working good also.I used it to mow a couple of times now.Nice little mower.

#5 HotRod OFFLINE  

HotRod
  • GTt Junior
  • 3 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:13 PM

I thought $50 was a good price. Hopefully the trans works ok. It seems to go into every gear when you roll it so id say its ok. I really liked where the shifter was located.

#6 HotRod OFFLINE  

HotRod
  • GTt Junior
  • 3 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 04:23 PM

Heres a pic
Posted Image

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Nice looking red tractor! Hope it all works well for you!