• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 schleprock OFFLINE  

schleprock

• Member No: 986
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 08:39 PM

I'm new to this forum and I'd like to say it's been great reading and enjoying the all other garden tractor lovers threads. I look forward to being a member and meeting more people who like the things I do.

I just got a Case 444 with 3 point hitch. The hydraulics work but I have to really tach it up to use it and it makes a whinning noise. I've checked and topped off the hydraulic fluid with 20 weight fluid but it didn't help. Is this a sign of the hydro pump going bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rick:confuse:

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 08:49 PM

Welcome to the Forum, schleprock :welcometogttalk:

You will find this to be a fun and informative place :wave:

One of our members hydriv is really good with the case tractors. he should be able to help you out if you have any questions.

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 08:51 PM

Rick,
Welcome to the forum.

First thing??? Change the hydraulic oil. Install fresh 20W50 brand name motor oil. Don't know how? Then ask.

#4 don wyatt OFFLINE  

don wyatt

• Member No: 580
  • 0 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hi everyone. I bought my first GT, a Case 444, back in 1976. I got the repair manuals with it and I still have them but not the 444. I wish I still had it as it was a great little machine. I also have some of the hydraulic manuals. I could probably copy and upload them with some help on how it is done. Don.

#5 schleprock OFFLINE  

schleprock

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the info hydriv. I'm afraid I really don't know much about that either. Any additional info would be very helpful.

#6 schleprock OFFLINE  

schleprock

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 10:15 PM

Don, Thanks for responding! I'd really appreciate that. Man, I wish I'd found you guys a long time ago. I also have a Allis Chalmers 916hydro and a Sears Suburban 12. I'm sure when I get the time to get back to them, I'll need more help.
Thanks again, Rick

#7 don wyatt OFFLINE  

don wyatt

• Member No: 580
  • 0 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 10:35 PM

Hey Rick. After I put my finger on rhe reply button I remembered that my X got the repair manual and the GT in the divorce settlement. HOWEVER, she didn't get everything. Check the Case group posts. I left a list of te manuals I have for the 444. I'm sorry you have a Sears. As far as I'm cincerned they are only trouble. There are dozens of them for sale on C
L out here and they are all broke. I know I have one of them. I went green. See ya. Don.

#8 schleprock OFFLINE  

schleprock

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 08:20 AM

Thanks Don. Any of the hydraulic manuals you could share with me would be helpful and you're right about the Sears tractors. I have one with a plow, drag harrow, disc, cultivator, and sickle mower. It's never been painted or had anything changed on it and it looks like it has always been stored inside and runs great but it rattles like a paint can. I think it's the rod so it'll be a winter project. Rick

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 09:53 AM

Rick :welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the info hydriv. I'm afraid I really don't know much about that either. Any additional info would be very helpful.

If you have the three-point, then you should also have the optional rear hydraulic PTO valve.

The easiest way to change the oil is this.

Get a nice clean, white plastic bucket that will hold at least 2 gallons. Remove the quick coupler end from the hydraulic hose that is on the rear PTO. Make sure the hose is clean. Put the end of the hose in the bucket. Start the tractor and run it at idle. Shift the PTO lever in one direction. If you chose the correct direction, then the oil will exit the hose. If not, the engine will stall. Restart and move the lever the other way. When the oil stops flowing in a steady stream and begins to spurt air, shut the engine off immediately. Put the coupler back on the hose using some thread sealer and mate the coupler half with the other coupler half to complete the hose loop. Fill the hydraulic tank with 20W50 MOTOR OIL or 15W40 and start the tractor. Try the tractor out and see if there is a significant difference in performance. Report your findings back here.

One more thing. Take a good look at the oil that came out. Leave it sit for a few day and see if any crap settles out of it onto the nice white pail bottom. See. There was a reason why I spec'd that pail.