#16 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,194 Thanks
  • 5,214 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:36 PM

As in it wasn't even an option back then or you can just tell that this one came from the factory as a pull start only? I didn't think it was electric start (you can see the pull cord in the photo too) but I thought it was an option at least for these tractors. Maybe not...

I didn't know that either. I thought they came with those half-fenders that are between the wheel and the seat at the top of the tire? Like this:

Hey thats mine!

HighPockets,
Welcome to GTtalk nice little Ride A Matic you got there.

Edited by wilberj, October 02, 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:00 PM

I kind of figured it was yours due to the fact there was a Ridemaster lurking in the background.
I'd like to see more pics of that ride-a-matic you have if you want to post them in a separate thread. I'm curious how the deck is setup.

#18 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hey thats mine!

ROFL!!! HAHAHA... What are the odds, eh? I didn't even search this site for tractor pics. I did a Google picture search and posted the first picture of a Ride-A-Matic that I found that had fenders on it. So, I guess you'll be happy to know that you have the very FIRST picture of a fendered Ride-A-Matic on Google search, lol!!

#19 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,194 Thanks
  • 5,214 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:25 PM

ROFL!!! HAHAHA... What are the odds, eh? I didn't even search this site for tractor pics. I did a Google picture search and posted the first picture of a Ride-A-Matic that I found that had fenders on it. So, I guess you'll be happy to know that you have the very FIRST picture of a fendered Ride-A-Matic on Google search, lol!!

Lol I come up alot in Bolens searchs.

#20 HighPockets OFFLINE  

HighPockets
  • Member No: 12283
  • 4 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi folks! Thanks for all of the comments. I'm not up to speed on the mechanics of this message board yet but it'll come to me.

To answer some of the questions...

Bolens 1000

Do you happen to have the model of the engine or model of the tractor? yes
Looks like it may possibly be a 21HD with a 6.6HP Kohler. I believe so as well.

Here is a photo of the engine ID plate.
2012-09-25 19.55.21.jpg

MailmAn

I'm assuming you're wanting to sand blast it and re-paint it and restore it right because it bugs you that it looks more like antique dark JD Green or something rather than the correct Bolens green? I really do not care for the dark green, burnt yellow, & black look. I want it to look as close to original as I can while still making small concessions here and there.

I take it that this one is just pull start and doesn't have electric start? Pull start only is correct. Electric wasn't available yet on this model.

Did it come with any attachments or just the tractor? No attachments to speak of no. Once I get this the way I want it, I'll start looking for things to go with it.

Are you planning on making a show tractor out of it? Doubtful that I will make a show tractor out of it. Or rather, it's doubtful I will ever enter it into any shows. I hope to have it in a worthy state once complete though.

I tend to go the route of restoring to as close to original as possible if I undertake something like this.
Only once have I not done so and that was with my 9N. The paint on it is in the red/grey style because that's what my grandfather had liked and the way he had re-painted it many a year ago. When I stripped it down, I painted it the way he'd had it rather than the solid grey that was original for the 1940 models.
Here is a link to pics of the 9N and some back story if any are interested. http://ytforums.ytma...7776&highlight=

Edited by HighPockets, October 02, 2012 - 06:29 PM.

• MailmAn said thank you

#21 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,415 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:53 PM

NICE work on the 9N. Thanks for the link. Your Bolens is in good hands.
Thanks again for joining this forum and posting your pics. Happy tractoring!

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Ok,
The K160 would make it a 21HD Like I first thought and the year of manufacture would be 1957
The Ride-a-Matic I have is a 21HD as well (and is next inline to be restored)

Attached Thumbnails

• s 006.JPG

#23 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hello. Great little tractor. Appears to be a 57 ride a matic. I have a 56 and 59 in my collection. I have gotten alot of parts from Mr. Hank Watkins. He has great knowledge and great parts and decals. I had paint costom mixed for the 59. Would love to see the tractor. I see your in maryland. Where are you located. I am in pa 14 mile from gettysburg close to maryland pa boarder in Littlestown pa. Hopefully we could meet up and talk some time.
  • MailmAn said thank you