• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 HighPockets OFFLINE  

HighPockets
  • Member No: 12283
  • 4 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 10:02 PM

New here to GTT but have talked to a couple of folks in chat and managed to get a much needed part from Bob.
This little guy came home with me recently and it will begin it's transformation soon. It runs great and rides fine. I'm on the hunt for missing parts, though I realize some will take a ton of time to find. I'm trying hard to find a good clean sample of original paint hiding somewhere. I have found hints of it, but nothing with enough real estate to get a good sample for matching.
I plan to start tearing it apart this weekend and get after it with the sand blaster.

I look forward to talking with folks. I enjoy the hunt and the challenge of making something look new again. I have a 1940 Ford 9N under my belt that belonged to my Grandfather. That took me a year of 2-3 nights a week and most weekends. I'm hoping this little Bolens is a much quicker project.

photo(1).JPG
photo(2).JPG
photo.JPG
  • wilberj, antiquetractors and ipperwash have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 10:15 PM

First I would like to welcome you to GTtalk, glad you found us. I'm sure that one of the Bolens Gurus will be along shortly and give you all the paint codes you need. Good Luck!! :thumbs:

#3 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 04:21 AM

Welcome to GTT. Very nice looking tractor!

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 04:51 AM

Welcome! Cool little tractor. No matter how long it takes, have fun doing it!

#5 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,317 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:04 AM

Welcome to GTt HighPockets! Very glad you found this website!
That is a cool old garden tractor your have. Not too many of those still around. Good luck with the hunt....

#6 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:12 AM

Welcome to GTtalk! Glad to have you, and that nice little tractor, join us!

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Welcome to GTT! :wave:

Do you happen to have the model of the engine or model of the tractor?
Looks like it may possibly be a 21HD with a 6.6HP Kohler

Glad to hear that you are going to be restoring her the right way! I always wonder why some people go through all that work striping down to bare metal then painting it the wrong color :wallbanging:

Once we can determine the model someone may be able to help you out with paint.

#8 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Welcome to the forum! That Bolens will be a great littel GT to restore! Look forward to more pictures of the project!

#9 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:37 AM

Looks pretty nice. Most people would just run it how it is and it does look in really nice shape. I'm assuming you're wanting to sand blast it and re-paint it and restore it right because it bugs you that it looks more like antique dark JD Green or something rather than the correct Bolens green? Good luck with it and hope you'll keep us posted. Hope you find all the parts you need for it. It looks like it has the flywheel cover but it is missing the belt guard cover right away. It also could use some fenders. I take it that this one is just pull start and doesn't have electric start? Did it come with any attachments or just the tractor? Hope you got a good deal on it if you're going to be putting a lot more time, money, and effort into restoring it. Are you planning on making a show tractor out of it?

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hope you find all the parts you need for it. It looks like it has the flywheel cover but it is missing the belt guard cover right away. It also could use some fenders. I take it that this one is just pull start and doesn't have electric start? Did it come with any attachments or just the tractor? Hope you got a good deal on it if you're going to be putting a lot more time, money, and effort into restoring it. Are you planning on making a show tractor out of it?

This model did not come with electric Start. Most of these did not have fenders when they left the factory/ Dealership as the Fenders and tool box kit were optional equipment.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#11 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Glad to hear that you are going to be restoring her the right way! I always wonder why some people go through all that work striping down to bare metal then painting it the wrong color :wallbanging:

Hey! Was that a back-handed shot at me??? :madhop: I know my 850 probably isn't anywhere near the correct colors, but it is hard to find the 100% correct paint unless you're going to be spending lots of money getting custom mixed paint and then you can only use that if you have a professional HVLP spray gun. I had to go for off-the-shelf pre-mixed spray cans (which I know ends up actually costing more than a gallon of paint) since I don't have a compressor or a spray gun... Kinda limits what you can do. Plus, I guess mine is more to just make it look decent from a distance and keep it from rusting further while I use it. It is by no means a "show tractor"... :smilewink:

#12 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:01 AM

This model did not come with electric Start.

As in it wasn't even an option back then or you can just tell that this one came from the factory as a pull start only? I didn't think it was electric start (you can see the pull cord in the photo too) but I thought it was an option at least for these tractors. Maybe not...

Most of these did not have fenders when they left the factory/ Dealership as the Fenders and tool box kit were optional equipment.

I didn't know that either. I thought they came with those half-fenders that are between the wheel and the seat at the top of the tire? Like this:

PICT00181.jpg

Edited by MailmAn, October 02, 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:08 AM

Hey! Was that a back-handed shot at me??? :madhop: I know my 850 probably isn't anywhere near the correct colors, but it is hard to find the 100% correct paint unless you're going to be spending lots of money getting custom mixed paint and then you can only use that if you have a professional HVLP spray gun. I had to go for off-the-shelf pre-mixed spray cans (which I know ends up actually costing more than a gallon of paint) since I don't have a compressor or a spray gun... Kinda limits what you can do. Plus, I guess mine is more to just make it look decent from a distance and keep it from rusting further while I use it. It is by no means a "show tractor"... :smilewink:

No, It wasn't directed towards you, and I'm sorry if it sounded that way or offended anyone. I know some of my comments on restoration color schemes can seem like I'm nit picking every detail but I dont mean to offend anyone. I'm just a passoniate Bolens collector that's looking to keep these machines alive and as close to original factory specs as possible.

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:11 AM

As in it wasn't even an option back then or you can just tell that this one came from the factory as a pull start only? I didn't think it was electric start (you can see the pull cord in the photo too) but I thought it was an option at least for these tractors. Maybe not...

I didn't know that either. I thought they came with those half-fenders that are between the wheel and the seat at the top of the tire? Like this:

PICT00181.jpg

Many changes were made to the Ride-a-Matics over the years they were produced. The particular model that we are talking about in the first post (Which I believe to be an 21HD) did not come with fenders as standard equipment. Starters were not available at this time.
The One you posted a picture of is a newer model that did come with electric start and fenders as standard equipment.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#15 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:21 AM

No, It wasn't directed towards you, and I'm sorry if it sounded that way or offended anyone. I know some of my comments on restoration color schemes can seem like I'm nit picking every detail but I dont mean to offend anyone. I'm just a passoniate Bolens collector that's looking to keep these machines alive and as close to original factory specs as possible.

Lol, yeah I know... I was just giving you a hard time... I know you're passionate about Bolens (sometimes a bit TOO passionate, lol...) but I know you mean well. Don't worry about it. :D