• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Okay, so winter will soon be upon us, so I'm trying to get this snow caster working for my Bolens 850. I need a few parts for it though to make it complete. Does anyone have any leads on parts or a parts snow caster that I can get the parts I need off of? I need the "hitch assembly" (what Bolens calls it in the parts manual) for it as well as the complete crank assembly for the chute. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty complete. I am concerned though about the chute control support that the crank handle goes into on the blower itself. It looks like it could be broken to me, but I don't have another one to compare it to, so IDK how it is supposed to look. Not sure if it would work even if I got a good chute crank for it if the place where it connects is no good. Here are some pictures of the blower:

Bolens18538-SnowCaster_01.jpg Bolens18538-SnowCaster_02.jpg Bolens18538-SnowCaster_03.jpg Bolens18538-SnowCaster_07.jpg

So, here are the close-ups of the chute control support showing what I'm talking about:

Bolens18538-SnowCaster_06.jpg Bolens18538-SnowCaster_04.jpg Bolens18538-SnowCaster_05.jpg

Anyone have any ideas or help on this one? I'm also looking for some cheap Bolens wheel weights that I can use with this setup as well to help get better traction.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MailmAn, October 01, 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 01:48 AM

Well personally I would look for a different blower for your gt. By the time you find all the missing parts for this one you could of bought a different one. Just my opinion.
Put a want ad in the classifieds section you never know what you'll come up with. I have a extra snow caster, but it would cost more than its worth to get it to you.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:31 AM

:ditto:
Finding individual parts would most likely cost you more than what you can get another one for.
You can normally find an older (Square back) Yellow snow caster for Under $100.
Your missing $100 worth of parts on the one you have now.

#4 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Well, then I guess my next question is, if I do find a yellow snow caster cheap enough, could I rob that one of parts to fix up this red one and then I have a good red one? I've heard the yellow ones are cheap because they don't work as well as the red ones and have a harder time moving the snow and don't throw it as far. But are the parts from the yellow and red ones mostly interchangeable (or at least the parts that I need to get this one working)?

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:48 AM

Well, then I guess my next question is, if I do find a yellow snow caster cheap enough, could I rob that one of parts to fix up this red one and then I have a good red one? I've heard the yellow ones are cheap because they don't work as well as the red ones and have a harder time moving the snow and don't throw it as far. But are the parts from the yellow and red ones mostly interchangeable (or at least the parts that I need to get this one working)?

Most of the parts will not interchange.....
The Yellow ones do a decent job, but the red ones work much better IMO.

#6 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Most of the parts will not interchange.....
The Yellow ones do a decent job, but the red ones work much better IMO.

I've got one of each and the only difference I can see is the chute on the yellow one is round verses square on the red one. Is that what makes the red one better with the chute having more of an opening to throw the snow? We haven't had enough snow the last few years to try them both out to see which one I like better.

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:30 AM

But are the parts from the yellow and red ones mostly interchangeable (or at least the parts that I need to get this one working)?

Can you read the model number of the red one that you have?

#8 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:57 AM

Sure. I actually even have a photo of the Serial Number tag on it in case anyone asked:

Bolens18538-SnowCaster_08.jpg

It is Model #18538-01, Serial #6852, in case it is hard to read in the photo. (The tag is a bit on the worn side, I guess... :rolleyes: )

I've got one of each and the only difference I can see is the chute on the yellow one is round verses square on the red one.

:ditto: I'm with Nato77 as well. I would have thought that most of the parts would be interchangeable between them. Maybe like the gearbox or chain drive components might be different and a few other minor things (like the round vs. square back, etc.), but the hitch assembly and chute control crank should all be the same if they all were designed to fit on a tube frame tractor, you know? That seems to make sense...

Edited by MailmAn, October 02, 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 01:31 PM

I dont think the hitches will interchange.
Take a look at the manuals.....

http://gardentractor...ruction-manual/

http://sonnys_bolens...ments/18538.pdf
  • Bruce Dorsi and MailmAn have said thanks

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 01:36 PM

Here's a pic comparing the two:

http://gardentractor...&attach_id=2038
  • Bruce Dorsi and MailmAn have said thanks

#11 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 02:29 PM

:ditto:
Finding individual parts would most likely cost you more than what you can get another one for.

Id sell my square back blower for 75 HEHE as i now have got my 2 stage built mentioning that i build it for under $150 and its a berco

#12 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:45 PM

I dont think the hitches will interchange.
Take a look at the manuals.....

Here's a pic comparing the two:

Hmmmm... Well, when you put it like THAT, yes they do look quite a bit different. I didn't think ALL of the yellow snow casters looked like that though. I could be wrong though. But when you put it like that, yes they do both look pretty dissimilar. Unless some were re-painted the wrong color or Bolens did just paint some of the later ones in yellow as well? Like this is yellow but doesn't look like that:

2662.jpg \

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:00 PM

The pic you posted is a Largeframe Blower and all of those were Round back and painted yellow.
All the Tubeframe Yellow Snow casters are square back. A few "square backs" were painted red (Around 1969-1970) as shown in the picture I posted earlier.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#14 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Ah, that's why it looks like that then. Yeah, I was in a hurry to find a rounded yellow snow caster and didn't notice that it was a large frame. It is indeed though. IDK why they made all the lage frame snow casters the good ones but made the other ones for the tumbe frames... odd that.

Edited by MailmAn, October 02, 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#15 pgcg4life OFFLINE  

pgcg4life
  • Member No: 8646
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 05:49 PM

You can contact Sam at Samsbolens.com. He's a former Bolens dealer who has bought former dealers lots. He helped me with some clevis pins for my square back tiller that I use on a H-14.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, snow caster, snow blower, tube frame