#1 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

--Crazy about GTTalk-- 'sort of'

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,610 Thanks
  • 8,793 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 01:49 PM

I've seen a lot of threads, here and there, discussing the merits of oil filters. However, I've never seen much concerning various air filters. Does anyone have an opinion on the good and the bad of air filters???
  • Arti said thank you

#2 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 1,783 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 01:57 PM

I haven't noticed much difference. I change them yearly and most still look good when I tose them.

Sent from my HTC One X

#3 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 660 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:25 PM

I can't help much, as most my old iron has oil bath air filters, and no oil filter. :bigrofl: My K301 has an air filter, and I change it regularly, but don't pay much attention to brand.

Matt

#4 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 985 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Stens ,,

They are readily available in this area. Haven't really studied the spec sheets but they seem to fit and are affordable.
  • LilysDad said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,971 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 05:50 PM

I just replace with what ever is available at the local parts shop. Now on the Bike and in both cars it's K&N.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

• Contributor
  • 11,610 Thanks
  • 8,793 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Somewhere I heard that a K&N oiled filter isn't worth a hoot until it gets dirty. What do you all think???

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Here's a eye opener of why any air filter is better than nothing,

The average internal combustion gasoline engine uses about 12,000 gallons of air to burn one gallon of gasoline.
  • MH81 and LilysDad have said thanks

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Somewhere I heard that a K&N oiled filter isn't worth a hoot until it gets dirty. What do you all think???

Kind of true with any filter, regardless of brand. Openings are based on microns, as the filter gets "dirty" the passages
start to clog which in turn reduces the size on the microns that can pass, so in theory a dirty filter, filters better than a new one.. :smilewink:

#9 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 635 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 09:51 AM

The average internal combustion gasoline engine uses about 12,000 gallons of air to burn one gallon of gasoline.

That's a lot of air, I guess I never really thought of it like that. Thanks!

FWIW, the air filter on my older RV recently became clogged with oil in the mountains, and since there are not so many mountaintop car parts stores out west, I simply removed it. Then , I drove 1500 miles ish back home, consuming over 170 gallons of fuel, and thus a tick over 2 million gallons of air. My head hurts just thinking about it . :bash: :D

Edited by marlboro180, October 03, 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

• Contributor
  • 11,610 Thanks
  • 8,793 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 02:13 PM

At that rate every gallon of air we breath has been through at least one garden tractor. :laughingteeth:

#11 enigma-2 OFFLINE  

enigma-2
  • Member No: 13431
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 08:00 AM

I've seen a lot of threads, here and there, discussing the merits of oil filters. However, I've never seen much concerning various air filters. Does anyone have an opinion on the good and the bad of air filters???

I apologize for entering this thread so late, just found it.
Yes, actually there is a larger difference between (both) air and oil filters. I read years ago where a mechanical engineer did testing on the various type of filters to see exactly which was good, and which should be avoided at all costs.

The website is http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

From what I took out of it, avoid racing type filters like K&N (allow too many small particles get through, the size that will scratch cylinder walls) and cheap Wally-World filters like Fram (which is garbage). Basically he found it's best to use OEM filters. (Motorcraft rated high, so did AC Delco.)

Air filter testing:
http://www.bobistheo...iltration-test/

Tried to find the oil filter tests but looks like he pulled it.

Has a good forum on lawn and garden tractor engines. Pick up things like John Deere w/Kawasaki engine oil filter is made by Fram (to JD's specs.)
http://www.bobistheo...Board=14&page=1
  • LilysDad and marlboro180 have said thanks

#12 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 37 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Wow, according to his results, my pickup with 140,000 miles on a K&N filter should have died a long time ago. Instead, it's still running strong, not burning any perceptible amount of oil.

I guess I should add I run a fair amount of dirt roads. Most are on pavement, but far from all.

Edited by thirdroc17, October 22, 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,774 Thanks
  • 43,018 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 06:35 PM

The K&N will filter more than that Motorcraft any day of the week. In fact a dirty K&N will out filter a NEW Motorcrtaft or AC Delco. I just cannot agree with this guy!

#14 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 415 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:28 PM

I like the Fram Air filters but i like Donaldson oil filters or Motocraft

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 703 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:44 PM

The dirtyer(?) an air filter gets "the more it filters"? Now lets offset that fact by the amount of richer mixture from the clogged air filter which is causing more fuel to be burned (richer mixture) hence quicker oil contamination and more fuel cost. Which is exactly why my Stihl 026P saw has a "compensating carb" on it. It adjusts the mixture as the filter loads up keeping the fuel use the same. Most other engines do not compensate for clogged air filters, but do put on a cool black smoke show after a while which is fuel money going up in the air.

I don't know about you guys, but I was always taught that the less "abrasive solid crap" (ASC) that passes into the engine the better. Judging by the amount of ASC the oiled sponge pre-filter catches on my JD Kawi and how much cleaner the main filter stays I don't mind the extra "restriction". Besides, the carb is pre set fo allow for air filter restriction from the factory.

And I wouldn't want any K&N type "less restrictive" filter letting more of the stuff that's actually getting through the sponge getting into my engine either. A less restrictive air filter for "more power" is like putting a less restrictive oil filter on an engine to reduce the power drain on the oil pump to increase power. "More dirt = more wear" and there's just no way around it. Remember the mechanic on TV saying, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later." ANY dirt from the aircleaner getting to the cylinder is causing wear, it's just a question of how much you feel you can live with.
  • LilysDad and marlboro180 have said thanks