• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Put a pulley on that bare crankshaft and suddenly it's a PTO. :smilewink:
That's how they power the snowblower.

That's a good idea! Maybe I can power my Ford Snowblower with it since it doesn't look like my Fords will be running before winter...

Steve

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Spent some time using it today... it works well, but the drive shaft to the tiller rubs the transaxle and the cross bar for the mower lift when it's raised all the way... I now know not to leave it running in the raised position, but it's hard to know how high you can safely raise it. The shaft seems to be about 1 1/2" diam. tube. Can a person run a smaller shaft on this--it would allow more clearance.

Steve

Edited by Utah Smitty, October 03, 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#18 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:15 AM

You know.... I think you just explained the heavy wear on the bottom of my transaxle. :smilewink:
There is a deep wear groove on the bottom and I always wondered what it came from although I never gave it a huge amount of thought. Plus I always wondered how there could possibly be enough clearance for a tiller driveshaft. I just never put two and two together. :blush2:

#19 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:29 AM

I like what you came out of the deal with. Great looking White. I'd say you did well, but you already know that. Isn't it nice hearing it over and over though. lol
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 09:33 AM

Is there some way to fabricate a stop for the lift? Might be easier than a new shaft.

#21 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Is there some way to fabricate a stop for the lift? Might be easier than a new shaft.

I'm looking into that... problem is, I'd like to be able to raise it as high as possible so the tiller doesn't drag when I'm loading it on my trailer. The thing must weigh 300 lbs--it's too heavy to muscle up by hand.

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 03:35 PM

I can understand where your coming from but there is an answer for that also and I've used it with good results. Idle the tractor down and then engage the tiller and let it push you onto the ramp with the tractor in gear. My ramps are at a pretty shallow angle and my tiller still hits once in a while and have had to do this with good results. Backing off is where it can get sticky. I have found that being a little fussy about where I unload makes the biggest difference.

#23 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Hey Utah Smitty, sure glad you are enjoying my old White GT-1650, and I sure hope you treat her right. I was sorry to see her go but now I have been able to narrow my tractors down to Case only which is neither good or bad but better for the room I have to store them. I replaced the hoses on the tiller and it works fine. I will more than likely pull it apart this winter and go through it so it's ready for spring. I mounted up the sickle bar mower and with a few minor tweaks it will go right on the 444. Have also started playing with your old 444 and might put a small diesel in it just for kicks. Good trade!!! we both got what we wanted and a road trip too, catch you later. HW
  • olcowhand and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 04:37 AM

Welcome, Case-Closed! Glad you joined the forum. We would like to see pics of your tractors, help with uploading them can be found here.

#25 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hey Utah Smitty, sure glad you are enjoying my old White GT-1650, and I sure hope you treat her right. I was sorry to see her go but now I have been able to narrow my tractors down to Case only which is neither good or bad but better for the room I have to store them. I replaced the hoses on the tiller and it works fine. I will more than likely pull it apart this winter and go through it so it's ready for spring. I mounted up the sickle bar mower and with a few minor tweaks it will go right on the 444. Have also started playing with your old 444 and might put a small diesel in it just for kicks. Good trade!!! we both got what we wanted and a road trip too, catch you later. HW

Good to hear from you, and welcome to GT Talk!! I'm glad you got the tiller and the sickle bar working. I have some pics of my grandson riding the White... it was the first time I let him drive by himself... he was scared, but also proud...

Kenny on White 1.jpg Kenny on White 2.jpg
  • Cvans said thank you

#26 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 07:24 PM

What year is or White and whats your serial number, I'm always curious how many were built . it seems like 74 was a very prodominate year even though the hydro 1650 was built from 74 to 78.

#27 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted October 19, 2012 - 07:50 PM

As I recall the White is a 76 model, I think it is written on the outside of the owners manual.