33 replies to this topic

#16 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 07:13 PM

KennyP;

Fine job to all the work and blacksmithing on that blade. I got about the same thing going on, but with the 42" snowblower. I am finishing up the fabrication on the rear ballast box brackets, and will post them as you have soon.

All the best
  • KennyP said thank you

#17 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Kenny ...this thing looks terrific! Hopefully mine turns out this nice. Wonder if anyone has a hard rubber edge we could use for a cutting edge 'vs' the metal one?
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 04:30 AM

Kenny ...this thing looks terrific! Hopefully mine turns out this nice. Wonder if anyone has a hard rubber edge we could use for a cutting edge 'vs' the metal one?

Some use the 'stall mats' from TSC/etc. and cut them for a rubber cutting edge. Here's one!

KennyP;

Fine job to all the work and blacksmithing on that blade. I got about the same thing going on, but with the 42" snowblower. I am finishing up the fabrication on the rear ballast box brackets, and will post them as you have soon.

All the best

I saw your thread. I don't have a blower, so I can't be of any help with your issues there. Good luck with it!

#19 nycub122 OFFLINE  

nycub122

• Member No: 4045
  • 24 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 04:38 AM

KennyP:
What solution have you come up with to increase the lift height of the blade?
Just curious, as I need to increase the height on mine.
GEL
  • KennyP said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 05:48 AM

KennyP:
What solution have you come up with to increase the lift height of the blade?
Just curious, as I need to increase the height on mine.
GEL

Go to post #7, second pic. All I could add in was a 1/4" piece. Much more than that and the blade main frame was against the front axle hanger. I haven't had time to reinstall it as yet. You might get by with a bit more. Check out your lift mechanism under there. I found a lot of slop/wear in the shoulder bolts on mine some time back and had to make new ones. New Holland wanted too much for these and I couldn't find a good replacement for them. Here's what I ended up doing with it.

#21 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:14 AM

Kenny your blade came out wonder full !
I had... had being the key word, one of those blades for mine.... used it once and realized how dreadfully awful it it was. Had poor ground clearance for dirt work and doesn't lift high enough to push back snowbanks :( it did do a nice jod grading after the bulk was spread.
Another drawback , and this is the main reason I scrapped it, it didn't transfer the resistance to the rear wheels well and the tractor would spin way too easy.
I mounted a front quick hitch off of a first generation Craftsman Gt 18 and never looked back! The Sears blade that mounts to it was superior in every aspect except angling it , took both hands to do this and the Ford blade only one ;)
The sears blade was easier to put on too. So that made it even more of a plus! And I could leave the deck on for even more ballast if needed.
  • KennyP and Rock farmer have said thanks

#22 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:26 AM

Nice job on getting things all fixed up on that blade Kenny. Now you've just got to wait for some snow.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Kenny your blade came out wonder full !
I had... had being the key word, one of those blades for mine.... used it once and realized how dreadfully awful it it was. Had poor ground clearance for dirt work and doesn't lift high enough to push back snowbanks :( it did do a nice jod grading after the bulk was spread.
Another drawback , and this is the main reason I scrapped it, it didn't transfer the resistance to the rear wheels well and the tractor would spin way too easy.
I mounted a front quick hitch off of a first generation Craftsman Gt 18 and never looked back! The Sears blade that mounts to it was superior in every aspect except angling it , took both hands to do this and the Ford blade only one ;)
The sears blade was easier to put on too. So that made it even more of a plus! And I could leave the deck on for even more ballast if needed.

This won't get a lot of use here and is the only front blade I have. I hear what you are saying about the weight transfer and lift problems with it, At least it will now do a much better job than before. If we get enough snow, I'll give it a try. I wish I could afford one of your 3-point lift setups (with separate hydraulics). Then I could use it and the box blade for dirt work!

#24 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Here's the first of the pics. The first 2 are the latch I need to add the cable to. Then the PO's chain.

That's a nice blade you got there. I have a very similiiar setup no the 42" 2 stage blower for my LGT 120
I wonder if mine is supposed to have a cable on it as you propose? Don't see on in the field schematic.

Nice job. .

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 15, 2012 - 12:01 AM

That's a nice blade you got there. I have a very similiiar setup no the 42" 2 stage blower for my LGT 120
I wonder if mine is supposed to have a cable on it as you propose? Don't see on in the field schematic.

Nice job. .

I don't know the original way the latch was opened for removing the blade, I just thought the cable would be an easy way to make it work for me.

#26 nycub122 OFFLINE  

nycub122

• Member No: 4045
  • 24 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 05:39 AM

KennyP:
VERY nice job on the blade!!
I've followed this topic and have noticed that most people are not happy with the lift height (me included)
You mentioned that you could only shim the plow main frame up about 1/4".
My problem is that I can shim up the main frame 1-1/2"!!!
I have inspected all the sholder bolts and bushings, no excessive slop ther, however, the cross bar spring
seems to be a little weak.
I have looked at the lift diagram but cannot determine where the upper end of this spring attaches.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
GEL

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 06:30 AM

I'd have to go out and look. It's been a bit since I re did the shoulder bolts and had the spring loose. I'll try to get a look this evening when I get home. I have the mower deck on it right now, so can't peek up from the bottom.
That's a lot of shimming. I originally thought I could get 3/4", but that bound it against the axle bracket when raised. I might be able to get another 1/4" piece in there, but not sure right now. The paint should be set up good by now. Once the jobs are done, I'll have more time to piddle with things and see just how it works.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 06:51 AM

I just looked at the parts breakdown on that spring. It attaches somewhere close to the valve on the closed side models. So, I may have to get the mower off to look up in there.

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Okay! I got a look/see. Need to wash out in there (around the valve). But the spring is either hooked over the valve or on to the bolt holding the valve. This is right below the fuel tank.

#30 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 03:19 AM

That spring will do nothing for the lift height . Older LGT s don't lift as high as the later versions because the frames are different. There was also a part of the lift frame that was also different for the blower or plow equipped tractors and would give them a little more lift height . Still not enough in my opinion .