• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:12 PM

--- I just bought a 314 for $250. It looks OK, not beat up except the front half of the hydro is in a 5 gal bucket. The owner said it just stopped moving and he took it out and apart thinking to fix it but never got around to it. I just picked it up today, the engine seems to have compression rolling it by hand. I'm seeing if the batt will take and hold a charge. He's had the pan?(fender,seat) off and the gas tank out so I'll jerryrig something to get gas to it to see if it will start and run. He said it smokes a little, I ran my finger in the exhaust and didn't get any oily soot so maybe it's not bad.
It came w/ the 48" deck which needs some noisy brgs replaced. The center spindle shaft has some runout, so my first question is: does someone have an extra shaft they want to sell? This a winter project for me so I'll be asking questions once I start on it. I have some other irons in the fire right now so I need to get them done first. I'll try to post some pics in the near future.
This appears to be a very good site and I think I'll enjoy it here. I belong to some other L&G forums but I think this one is more down to earth so to speak.
Thanks,
Mike

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Mike, :welcome: to GTTalk. Sounds like a good deal, even if it needs a little TLC.
Looking forward to the pics, and thanks for the intro.

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Welcome! Sounds like a project I would have considered for myself. Let me suggest picking up a service manual for the 314. It will make your life much easier as you put the pieces back together. If you are not able to get one I can scan the transaxle section for my 120 and pass that on to you.

Travis

#4 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:33 PM

Welcome mike. Keep us posted on your progress.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Howdy, Mike! Good that ya finally found us here. Congrats on the cheap JD, good machine if you keep it, good money maker if you decide to fix it and sell it.

BTW, had any good mail-in rebates on motor oil lately? (this is a test of your memory from a different forum)

:bigrofl: :welcome:

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Mike, WELCOME to GTtalk, Glad you joined us here. You might want to check with out Site Sponcors, they carry a lot of good used parts. The 314 is a great tractor, you are going to love it.

Here's a link;
http://gardentractor...-site-sponsors/

#7 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Glad to say welcome to another familiar face! :thumbs: Sounds like you've picked up a great project can't wait to see it get underway!

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Welcome aboard. Nice to have you with us. Hope your able to stay around for a long time.
Good luck with your project.

#9 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thanks, guys!! Cat, I vaguely remember the rebate deal, can't remember the co. or whether I got it, LOL!!! I'm 65 now so have a valid excuse for CRS!!! I have a bumper sticker that says:"of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most". Boy, that fits me to a t!!
I just checked up on the 314 s/n and it's a 1980. Can anyone direct me to the best price for a service manual? Or better yet a pdf online I can print off? At present I have a Poulan 15/38 and an old Wizard alum. deck push mower and both have served me well. I will use the 314 to mow, but I also plan to adapt a "dump find" snow plow to it I've fixed, beefed up and painted to fit my Suzuki wheeler, tho by the length of the push arms I think it was made for a GT. I'll keep an eye out next summer for a wheeler plow for Suzi and use it for backup if things get too tough for johnny. I'll like johnny better w/ the hydro rather than shift to neutral, pull the reverse lever back and then reverse the procedure. Suzi does have one big advantage besides 4WD, heated hand grips!! HMMM, maybe I can build some curtains like the old farm tractors had,LOL!!
I'm not sure if my idea will work. When I mount the plow to johnny, I'm going to get a hyd top link to use for the plow lift. If I screw the deck adj all the way up will that eliminate it's stroke so the oil will go to the plow lift w/o any time lag? If it doesn't have enough stroke I'll engineer some linkage siimilar to the pickup plow lifts. I figure if I can make this work I might be able to lift the shoes enough so I can scrape packed snow off. Any suggestions before I start down that path??
I plan to load the rears w/ windshield washer fluid and find some cable chains to fit, if not I'll make up some link chains to fit. If I can find some #40 roller chain w/o paying 2 pints of blood for it I plan to put that on the fronts in line w/ the tread center to help turning on packed snow and ice.

Thanks, Mike

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Mike, glad you decided to join us. As I was reading your post about the heated grips I got to wondering why you guy's up north don't invest in heated gear and run a plug (The plug comes with the heated gear) off your battery? I ride my bike year round and when it get really cold I just wear my heated gear and plug it into the bike.

#11 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Mike, glad you decided to join us. As I was reading your post about the heated grips I got to wondering why you guy's up north don't invest in heated gear and run a plug (The plug comes with the heated gear) off your battery? I ride my bike year round and when it get really cold I just wear my heated gear and plug it into the bike.

Good idea, Bill!! I might look into heated gloves once I start plowing w/ it. I doubt I'll be using it this winter since Suzi is all set up for it and I don't want to rush into this tranny job.
Mike

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 04:07 AM

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like a cool project. One of the JD folks should be along to help with the manuals.

#13 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 01:35 PM

314 001 (Small).jpg 314 002 (Small).jpg 314 003 (Small).jpg A short progress report. Replaced the fuel lines, they were plastic air hose like used on trucks. The solenoid is shot so jumped it on the starter post, has good spark. Stuck the fuel hose in my gas can and started and kept it idling w/ ether 'til the fuel pump picked up the gas. Good news, no blue or black smoke!! I'm happy about that!! No knocks or rattles either, also happy about that!! Charging system is also working fine. So all good news so far. Now when I get these other irons out of the fire I'll start on the hydro. Took some quick pics also.
Mike

#14 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 06:01 AM

Mike,

Great news on the lack of tainted colored smoke. Always a good sign!

Glad you found the site here :-)

M

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 07:55 AM

The owner said it just stopped moving and he took it out and apart thinking to fix it but never got around to it.

Have you considered that it might not be the trans? It might be the clutch or the pulley?