#16 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm wondering if the rods in that video are the same as the ones that we use at work with the air arc cutter?

Yes but in a smaller diameter as I remember. They are also available for use with AC or DC.
  • caseguy said thank you

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'm wondering if the rods in that video are the same as the ones that we use at work with the air arc cutter?

Steve,The rods in the video are solid carbon with a copper conductor wrapped around it. If you are not careful with them, they will break easily.
  • caseguy said thank you

#18 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:37 AM

That's neat. I need a metal working shop. I would think it would be easy to make one.

Sent from my HTC One X

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 09:08 AM

I've had a Century arc torch for some time and have never been comfortable using it as it is very awkward to hold and set up. After seeing the one in this video I was able to locate and purchase a torch like it. I will report back here next week when it arrives and let you know how the Lincoln works compared to the Century.
  • Alc said thank you

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:31 PM

WHY bend it at all? I think in the plans section someone(maybe CHUCK?) Posted plans for a sleeve hitch that was welded up out of straight sec ions with no bend.

#21 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 08:51 PM

were are the old blacksmiths when you need one.
a good old forge, anvil and several big hammers

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 10:27 PM

were are the old blacksmiths when you need one.
a good old forge, anvil and several big hammers

They are stilll around but are more often into arts and crafts. There is at least one group in our area. i understand they have a meeting every month and do demonstrations at the restored Blacksmith shop in Haverhill in Marshal County. My father-in-law used to tell about hanging out at that shop after school.
Its something that interests me a lot, but I have never set up a forge.
There are some forums dedicated to blacksmithing, when i get the urge to read up on it.
I am registered on the I FORGE IRON forum. anvil fire is another good blacksmithing forum.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 03, 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Black Smiths are getting to be a rare breed. Not many people want to work that hard anymore and it is hard work. Working around a hot forge on a hot day is a tough way to make a living. You have to be made of stout stuff to want to go out and do it for fun.

#24 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 03, 2012 - 10:44 PM

I have seen plans for a mini forge using a charcoal grill and a hair dryer. Cant remember the site but I think there is a youtube on it

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:08 AM

I have seen plans for a mini forge using a charcoal grill and a hair dryer. Cant remember the site but I think there is a youtube on it

Yes i have seen those. there is a 22 inch weber kettle on the junk pile i have not had the heart to scrap for just that reason.
The anvil is the big thing holding me back. so many have been melted down for scrap good ones are hard to find.
the only anvil i have is one i sculpted out of a RR rail with a 4 1/2 inch grinder. i would not recommend anyone do that, but i can be very patient and determined when i get a crazy idea in my head.

#26 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 07:40 PM

JDDannels - I have been to Haverhill to see the old blacksmith shop a couple times, each time I go to Living History farm in Des Moines I always stop the they blacksmith shop.
I remember going to the blacksmith shop in Stuart, Ia when I was a kid on the farm. I could spend hours there.
We had a old small forge on the farm and somebody thought they needed it more them we did. Wish I had it now.