#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 06:58 AM

About any Kohler single will fit in tractor. Needs flat oil pan mount and 1-1/8" shaft and any other items should be able to transfer if diff and really needed, like carb linkage and such. 14 is most popular and best engine for PK's. I have used a 16, not used by them, but still fits same. Have heard of several using V-twin K's or Briggs, just find one with right shaft size. If the new engine doesn't have that built in lip for the bellhousing it still has bolts in right place and will work. I have done that too. V-twin would be my choice if you wanted MORE engine, but single kohler will save you money on install.

#17 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:30 PM

K series motors don't need the special ring on the block to bolt to the bell housing? I always heard it caused problems with the clutch engaging but I have no experience.

#18 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 09:44 AM

I have a K engine with smaller ring from Jacobsen in mine now. No problems yet that I am aware of. I won't be working it hard or such, maybe that will bring up issue? Don't really think so. Use good bolts and lockwashers for mounting bellhousing. I've gotten other engines with now ring for many uses and they all have some type item bolted on them , haven't see trouble. This Jac one even had big pto clutch on it when I got it.

#19 farmer OFFLINE  

farmer
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 12595
  • 9 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 01:40 PM

I'm glad to know that. Thanks for sharing that with all of us!