• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:10 PM

Many of you know, my neighbor Tesie passed away in mid August. She had a 1964 power king and a few weeks ago her niece's husband told me I could have it; when they had the estate sale I was going to buy it from them anyway. I told him I did not have a place for it now and asked if it could stay in the barn for now. He said that was fine until they started to clean it out.

Today I was mowing and he showed up and cleaning in one of the houses. I stopped and talked to him and asked if we could take the tractor out of the barn, he wants to move onto that soon. So we took the tractor out and the other things that went with it as well.

In the last year or so, I have done a lot of work to it for Tesie. It has a new starter/generator, new choke cable, new throttle cable, cleaned up and painted the front wheels, all new drive belts for the mower deck, all new fluids, new gas line and filter and I remade the engagement lever for the mower deck.

Here it is after Frank and I got it out of the barn.
Posted Image

You can see I used the '75 to pull it home. It does run but being there is a mouse nest in the engine I did not want to start it until I get that out.
Posted Image

This is the original mower deck. Not much is left, it sat outside for a long time and is rotted, parts are already taken off and patches have been cut out.
Posted Image

It also has a snow plow; it got used some but not a whole lot. It was last used in the 80s and sat in the barn since. The plow is is good over all shape. It has two bends on the bottom that can be straightened and it needs a new edge. I plan to use it this winter on the '71.
Posted Image

I also got 2 lift linkages and 3 out of 4 of the side covers for the mower decks. I hope the other one turns up as the barn gets cleaned out.
Posted Image

The original engine blew some time in the 80s (I think). The original engine is sitting on a work bench in the barn and Frank told me I could take it when we start to clean out the barn more. The engine has the covers off (I know where they are) and the head is off. I don't know what the problem is but it might be a rebuild. I doubt it though, Tesie's Husband loved to rebuild engines. He could have the worst piece of equipment that barely worked and should be put out of service. But because of his obsession with rebuilding engines, it would be rebuilt. So, I think if that engine was rebuild-able it would have been. I will have to check it out.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:22 PM

Ryan, I think that was a great thing the family did by giving you that tractor. You have more than paid for it by doing what you did for her. It has a great home now, as I am sure you will take very good care of it!

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Ryan your a good person and am sure you will take good care of your new PK , Al

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:50 PM

Congrats on your new PK Ryan! I'm sorry that you had to get it this way, but glad that it's got a new home with you.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Sorry to hear of your neighbor's passing, but glad to hear that her tractor was given to you by the family. It just goes to show that good deeds do have their rewards, even if they aren't expected. Thanks.

#6 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Ryan congrads on your new to you PK. You have treated tour elderly neighbor well and been reworded. Seems what goes around comes around. ENJOY!

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'm very sure Tesie is happy knowing the tractor is in your possession. Congrats on a nice looking new addition to the herd.

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm very sure Tesie is happy knowing the tractor is in your possession. Congrats on a nice looking new addition to the herd.

Alan was reading my mind, so I'll just add that Tesie will always be with you through this PK. maybe you can name it "Tess".

#9 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yep, good of them to let you have it just b/c they wanted you to have it.
So the mowers have side covers and you just remove whichever side you want grass to shoot out of? And both go in to mulch and make it come out the rear?

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks everybody. Even though I have other tractors that I want to restore, this one cut the line and is now on the top of the list.

You could say this tractor is the cause of my PK adiction. Before my Dad bought the '75 he would watch Tesie use this to mow all the time. He was always impressed with the tractor and wanted one of his own. A friend/customer of his had one and he started to ask about it. He did not want to sell it, everytime my dad saw him he asked about buying it and he always got a no. One day, my Dad went to where the tractor was. He brought a trailer, cash and told him the owner was not leaving without it... and he didn't. Now you all know that tractor as the '75. After the '75 was purchased it was a few years before I ever even drove it. Then I started using it and was impressed with it. Now I have a whole herd of Power Kings! Lol!

Daniel, I have been thinking and when I restore it I think I am going to have a plate (about the size of the serial tag) made up. It will say In Memory of Tesie with her dates of birth and passing on it. Or something similar.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Ryan, good for you for being the good neighbor that have been. Good fortune has come back to your good deeds. Congratulations on your latest PK.

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yep, good of them to let you have it just b/c they wanted you to have it.
So the mowers have side covers and you just remove whichever side you want grass to shoot out of? And both go in to mulch and make it come out the rear?

I am not really sure. When off it comes out both sides, but one side better then the other (I don't remember which side). The front and back of the deck is VERY small. I think that the sheet metal might actually be higher then the blades! Since they are so small it comes out in all directions to some degree.

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Ryan my Jim Dandy didn't come with the side shields and was always wondering why the original owner took them off . Maybe the grass clumped up with them on ? Al

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Today I was helping to Frank again and we where in the barn. He was looking through some draws and found some orange things. He asked if I knew what they where. I knew exactly what they were! They are the skids for the plow!

They don't look like they have every been used! They are not at all worn!
Posted Image

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 02:14 PM

That's a nice find, Ryan! Way to go Frank!