• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I was chainging the oil in thee '75 and I jacked up one side so I could get as much as I could out. When it was in the air I lent on the front right tire and I saw the axle move in the spindle! I thought all the movement was bearing play. But, it is partially bearing play and then the movement of the axle.

Where the axle goes into the spindle it is tapered and I don't have to take it apart to know that the taper is going to be worn. I took one of the spindles off of the '65 parts tractor. The '75 has studs and lug nuts, the '65 has lug bolts. So, I am going to switch the hubs. I am also going to buy new bearings for the hubs and also thrust bearings that go between the spindle and the main axle.

The spindle came out of the '65 very easily.
Posted Image

I will go to get bearings in the next few days, I hope. In the meantime, what do you think the best place to get them is? I thought either Autozone or Napa. Which do you think is more likely to have them in stock and cheaper? The hubs are the same as most trailer hubs. I listed what I need below

12 hub bearings
8 corresponding races for the hub bearings
2 thrust bearings

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Ryan do you need the bearing and race numbers ? Sometimes they get rusty and are hard to read . You only need 4 bearings and 4 races or are you getting spares ?

#3 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I would also look for a store that sells bearings exclusive. We have a place near called Tri-State Bearing, and they have matched every bearing I have taken to them.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I took the hub off, and a PO definitely kept his stuff greased up well!

Al, I can read the numbers on the bearings. I am going to look up the numbers in my manual and take the ones I took out to match up. The part number might have changed between then and now; I want to make sure I get the right ones. I am getting 4 bearings for the '74 another 4 to go on the '71 and 4 more to go on my economy trailer. The '75 and '71 are getting new races but the ones from the trailer are perfectly fine.

KC9, I don't know if there is a place like that here, I will have to look into it.

#5 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Ryan,
Is there a nut on the end of the spindle? If so you may be able to just tighten it up, this would pull the taper farther into the spindle and stop it from moving. Maybe a washer under the nut might help.

spindle.png
You also said the PO kept the bearings well lubed, If that is the case the bearings probably are not hurt and do not require replacement. Replacing bearings can get very expensive. Just my $.02

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:57 PM

This place has served many well including me on bearings... http://www.vxb.com/

When I need real help, though, I go to motion industries. They have an online site, but any time I go there it's because I either need the bearing right now or need a seal measured or whatever. Though I'm sure that not everyone has a Motion Industries just down the street, either.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 02:15 PM

Ryan,
Is there a nut on the end of the spindle? If so you may be able to just tighten it up, this would pull the taper farther into the spindle and stop it from moving. Maybe a washer under the nut might help.

spindle.png
You also said the PO kept the bearings well lubed, If that is the case the bearings probably are not hurt and do not require replacement. Replacing bearings can get very expensive. Just my $.02

Yes, you can tighten the nut but if I tighten it I don't know how long it would stay tight for. And, I think that the axle would spin in the spindle if I tried to tighten it.

It did not even cross my mind to use those bearings. And, I think I could get away with using them.

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 08:28 PM

Ryan I read your posted and didn't realized that the part on the axle was worn :bash: Good project to take into welding class , just weld the axle right to the spindle, Al

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Today I was able to get everything switched between the '75 and the '65. All of the better parts are on the '75 and the worn parts are on the '65. I also greased everything up. As long as the owner keeps up with greasing the tractor like it should be... the bearings should last longer then the other ones.

Here is the spindle with the wobbly axle. Just as I thought, the taper in the hole is worn out from the axle being loose.
Posted Image

Edited by Ryan313, October 07, 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:39 PM

Wow that's really egged out !!! I bet your welding teacher would be able to help you repair that , Al

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Wow that's really egged out !!! I bet your welding teacher would be able to help you repair that , Al

Repair the hole? Or just weld the axle into the spindle? The problem with repairing the hole is that it is tapered.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 07:03 PM

I'm not if this would be the correct way but I would remove the axle, clean everything , grind a chamfer in the spindle drill some holes so it can be plugged welded along with the area that was chamfered . Once it was all lined up ..Maybe some other would have a better way . I didn't do my 2418 but someone shorted the spindles right at the taper section your working on . I never had a problem with the welded spindle , Al

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,461 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hubs just use common trailer bearings. Even Walmart has them in auto/trailer section. Usually 3/4" or 1" kits, so get right size. My local tractor store has those too. Bushings for the spindle in end of axle I get from McMaster-Carr online and they send in a day or two, real quick. Good prices too. They are common size, just measure, no odd sizes there. The thrust ones are little harder to find number for. Again, common size, just measure. Center axle pivot can use same as outer bushings even tho they may have needle bearings in it now. Later years had the bushings. Never had to deal with the axle joint wear before, not sure what is best. Think a good weld job sounds about easiest. You can always find PK spindles in future if you wanted to change them. Easy to find. Bearings Inc is now Applied technologies or something close. Good place to go.