• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 09:50 PM

got back to working on my Mighty Man this weekend, and as i was cleaning the gear case off outsides, some water started dripping out of the lid area. I drained it out, removed to top and found a bunch of greasey, lumpy oil with a little bit of rusty stuff in it. After cleaning it up with some brake parts cleaner, i got to studing the case. It has no vent also no fill hole, just a drain plug. Apparently you had to remove the whole top to check or add any oil. Inside the case are are only four cut steel gears and assorted bearings

So now that its clean, i dont know what type oil to put back inside. Normally i would just go get a manaul, and turn to the correct page, but i dont have one, and theres little chance of finding one for this odd duck tractor. Now in the past i would find that some trannys used 30#, or 50#, some even used 90#. Once in a while we find a tag on the case that tell you what it was.

What would be the general opinion on type weight or type of oil should go in there. Sorry no pictures this time as i was busy cleaning and didnt have anyone home to take them.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Jeff, I went back and looked thru the posts & pics in your original thread: http://gardentractor...an/#entry114031

If it were mine and the gears are as I'm envisioning them, I would go with 80-90 gear lube. I've used it in lots of different heavy gear tractor applications & it has yet to let me down.

Internal pics might change my mind, but, as long as you don't plan on running it in the winter, that would be my suggestion.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the unit posts an answer.