• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:03 AM

In the pic of the versa from the back it looks like the tractor is running crooked to the furrow. Maybe its just the angle of the pic, but it looks like to me that if you would narrow the wheels up it would track better in the furrow.

Also do you got them tires loaded on the versa?

I had to "wedge" the plow into the furrow to take the picture because the tractor kept wanting to tip up due to having the plow on.
The tires are not loaded. I was surprised how much traction it had as it didn't slip.
  • Nato77 said thank you

#17 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 01:26 PM

Very nice Brian.The little walk behinds are serious work horses but they are a hand full for sure.If you can keep them in deep they're not so bad.Our old 50's model gravely walk behind down at the farm is a bear to keep in the dirt if the soil is hard.The Sheer is a bit worn on the gravely so it walks up out of the furrow pretty often.If it's walking out then it's your sheer or angle of the plow is to shallow.If it's popping out then the ground is hard and your going a bit to slow.

How did the 850 do for power?My neighbor has an 850 and he runs out of power plowing in 2nd gear.Same thing with mowing.His governer may need some work to as it must be turning 4500 rpm at WOT.I'm thinking about getting it off of him because he doesn't use it that much.

It's freshly restored.New paint and parts.He even found a NOS Zenith carb for it when he restored it.I remember him saying that the guy he got it off of had 2 NOS carbs and and a few boxes of other NOS odds and ends.I think he charged him $80 for the Carb.

#18 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 02:31 PM

How did the 850 do for power?My neighbor has an 850 and he runs out of power plowing in 2nd gear.Same thing with mowing.His governer may need some work to as it must be turning 4500 rpm at WOT.I'm thinking about getting it off of him because he doesn't use it that much.

It's freshly restored.New paint and parts.He even found a NOS Zenith carb for it when he restored it.I remember him saying that the guy he got it off of had 2 NOS carbs and and a few boxes of other NOS odds and ends.I think he charged him $80 for the Carb.

The 850 Did great. I normally plow in 1st gear and it has plenty of power.
I dont think these were designed to plow that fast in second gear.....In the manual it is recommended that you plow full throttle and in 1st gear.
What size deck is he running on the 850? They were recommended for a 32'' or 38'' deck.

#19 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Looks good, Brian! Do you have a tiller attachment for the Versa-Matic or the 850 as well? That plough looks like it did a decent job, but it leaves too many big clumps of dirt. The tiller will do a better job of breaking those up. Unless you want to leave it like that over the winter and then till it up better in the spring? Gotta love the hydraulic lift on that 850 too. Did it come with that or did you buy it separately and add it on? It looks newer than the rest of the tractor (at at least it has fresher looking brown paint on it).

Can you hook up other attachments to your 850 with that sleeve hitch that would normally hitch onto the short plate mounted to the transaxle case, or does it only fit certain ploughs and bigger attachments designed to use with a sleeve hitch? I'm wondering if you could tow like a small garden/utility trailer with the sleeve hitch. That plough looks like it has a taller hitch gap in it than like a utility trailer would. Also, since it goes up and down with the attachment lift, I'm wondering if it would be good to even try to tow a trailer with it...

Edited by MailmAn, September 30, 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#20 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 02:40 AM

The 850 Did great. I normally plow in 1st gear and it has plenty of power.
I dont think these were designed to plow that fast in second gear.....In the manual it is recommended that you plow full throttle and in 1st gear.
What size deck is he running on the 850? They were recommended for a 32'' or 38'' deck.

It's a 32" I'm starting to think that either one of the fly weights come off the governer or something else is messed up.It has no power up to WOT.It doesn't smoke and seems to have good compression.The throttle is very very touchy to.

#21 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Looks good, Brian! Do you have a tiller attachment for the Versa-Matic or the 850 as well? That plough looks like it did a decent job, but it leaves too many big clumps of dirt. The tiller will do a better job of breaking those up. Unless you want to leave it like that over the winter and then till it up better in the spring?

Tillers were never available for the Versa-Matics, but I do have a couple tillers for the Tubeframes.
I plow in the fall then till in the spring. Turning the dirt over in the fall makes for much easier tilling in the spring.

Gotta love the hydraulic lift on that 850 too. Did it come with that or did you buy it separately and add it on? It looks newer than the rest of the tractor (at at least it has fresher looking brown paint on it).

I bought it separately on ebay a while back.

Can you hook up other attachments to your 850 with that sleeve hitch that would normally hitch onto the short plate mounted to the transaxle case, or does it only fit certain ploughs and bigger attachments designed to use with a sleeve hitch? I'm wondering if you could tow like a small garden/utility trailer with the sleeve hitch. That plough looks like it has a taller hitch gap in it than like a utility trailer would. Also, since it goes up and down with the attachment lift, I'm wondering if it would be good to even try to tow a trailer with it...

There were a variety of attachments Brinly made that attached to the sleeve hitch. Dump cart, Discs, plow, Cultivators, Seeders ect. I guess you could tow a small dump cart with the sleeve hitch but thats not what it was really designed for.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#22 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 764 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Great pics Brian, But now you have reminded me of whats to come, WINTER!!! Guess I have work to do before the white stuff falls!! Time to turn the garden over soon and pack everything away to get ready for winter!!