• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 02:57 PM

Since this thread pertains more to the Bolens walk behind I will post those pics here and then start threads for each of the other pieces and put links here in this thread to those.

Here are some pics of Dad's new to him Bolens walk behind. This one was easy to get running. Pulled the glass bowl off the sediment bowl and cleaned it out, also got the throttle cable unstuck and lubed it up. The tank was stored dry so it was nice and clean. Put some fresh gas in it and after about 4 pulls it came to life. Engine runs great and doesn't smoke.

Here are some pics of the walk behind and snow blade attached. Dad also got the moldboard plow which I believe is for the Versamatic walk behind or the older Rideamatic tractors.

DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:02 PM

Very nice Bolens tractor George and George. Glad to hear it didn't take much to make her run. Nice plow also Boys!! :thumbs:
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Congrats on adding another Bolens to the collection George :D
That plow should attach to your Power Ho.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Ok next up is a Snapper shredder. This one was easy to get running as well. Just put gas in it and it fired off. There was still some old gas in it that didn't smell too bad. I even chucked a small limb in it to see how it would do. You can see the chips in the grass.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0010.JPG
  • DSC_0011.JPG
  • DSC_0012.JPG
  • DSC_0038.JPG
  • DSC_0039.JPG

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:40 PM

Next we have a three wheeled trimming mower. This one was also easy to get going. Put gas in it and took a few pulls and it fired off. I don't think I would want to use it all the time and the thought of the blade flying out is definitely there LOL. One of my favorite things on this one is the metallic green grips. Brings back memories of the grips on the old bikes.

Hopefully Bruce can chime in and tell us more about it again as the maker's name escapes me right now.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0013.JPG
  • DSC_0014.JPG
  • DSC_0015.JPG

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:44 PM

Since we are on the subject of mowers, this one was easy to get running. As long as you have had enough coffee to get motivated :D

Bruce said it is a "Runsonly"..... runs only when you push it.

It is a Yard-Man Silent reel mower. I used it to cut quite a couple passes in the yard. The grass was still wet from the morning dew but it did an awesome job and was definitely setup right. The handles are in excellent shape as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0001.JPG
  • DSC_0002.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:54 PM

We have another mower, this one is definitely different as I haven't seen one before except for maybe in some sort of literature. It is a Bunton 4hp 22" self propelled walk behind lawn mower. It has a unique setup with the air filter. Has a hose running from the carb to the filter mounted up my the handle.

This one took a bit of work to get running. It didn't have spark. Cleaned and gapped the spark plug, pulled the top cover off the motor and then removed the flywheel. Pulled the points cover off and cleaned up the points and checked the gap on them. There was a bare spot worn on the one wire and I taped that up. Got it back together and checked it for spark and we had some. Put the plug back in and within 2 or 3 pulls it fired up.

I had to adjust the carb a little. It doesn't go as high in rpm as I thought it would but it could just be the way it is. I don't know without more tinkering on it. It did mow without bogging down and the self propelled part works great as well.

Here are some pics of it:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0025.JPG
  • DSC_0026.JPG
  • DSC_0027.JPG
  • DSC_0028.JPG
  • DSC_0029.JPG

#23 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Next up is a Yard-Man snow blower. This one made an ass out of me when we were trying to get it running. Put fresh gas in it, checked for spark and it had great spark. Yanked on it, and yanked on it, and yanked on it and could not get it to fire. Couple of times it sounded like it wanted to do something. So we pulled the cover off at the carb and I turned the high speed needle a couple turns in and then a couple turns out and put it back to about where it was. Grabbed the starter rope and barely gave it a half hearted tug which barely got it through the compression stroke and it fired up.

The carb definitely needs to be taken off and cleaned. I think there is some sediment in the bowl clogging the needle because it will shut off on occasion and a simple movement of the high speed jet adjustment gets it going again.

The augers work great and the drive works great as well. The chute on this is different then other snow blowers I have messed with and that is the chute rotates across as well as the chute itself rotating.

Here are some pics of the snow blower:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0020.JPG
  • DSC_0021.JPG
  • DSC_0022.JPG
  • DSC_0023.JPG
  • DSC_0024.JPG

#24 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:16 PM

Dad also got the moldboard plow which I believe is for the Versamatic walk behind or the older Rideamatic tractors.

DSC_0009.JPG

Just to clarify: The plow, as it is set-up now, fits the Power-Ho. .....The extra bars laying loose on the ground are for use on a VersaMatic or early Ride-A-Matic. (Only 1 is needed - the other is just an extra.)
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#25 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:21 PM

Ok next up is a Snapper shredder.

It is a Snapper model 30-S, which was manufactured by Amerind-MacKissic (Parker Ford, PA) for Snapper.

The Snapper version was painted red, but is otherwise identical to the MacKissic model 5-P which was painted green.

I will be sending you paper copies of the brochures & parts list by snail-mail in the next few days.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#26 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Next we have a three wheeled trimming mower. This one was also easy to get going. Put gas in it and took a few pulls and it fired off. I don't think I would want to use it all the time and the thought of the blade flying out is definitely there LOL. One of my favorite things on this one is the metallic green grips. Brings back memories of the grips on the old bikes.

Hopefully Bruce can chime in and tell us more about it again as the maker's name escapes me right now.

This was known as a model ST-12 Super Trim Power Trimmer sold under the Quakermayd brand name. ....It was manufactured by the Sterner's Company, which was located on Rte.309 in Quakertown, PA. (Hence, the brand name.)

They were made in the late 1960's and early 1970's. ....The code number on the B&S engine will give you an idea of when it was built, as that is the original engine.

We sold them at our dealership for $99.95. .....It has a 3-1/2hp B&S engine and a 12-1/2" cut.

As long as the blade is tighly fastened, there should be no threat of the blade flying off, unless you hit an immovable object. ....It is not any different than most of the rotary mowers that were on the market at that time.

A paper copy of the brochure will also be sent to you.
  • NUTNDUN and Bolens 1000 have said thanks

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Bruce, thank you for the follow up info on the trimming mower. I did use it for a little bit and trimmed around the old raised garden. I believe it is safe as well, just weird with how open it is compared to a regular rotary mower.

#28 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Ok, not done yet. Next up is a Leco edger. It has a Lauson engine on it. This one fired up pretty easily as well. Just pulled the sediment bowl off and cleaned it and put gas in it. Took a couple of pulls because of thinking the choke lever was supposed to be one way but was actually supposed to be opposite of what I thought. Once I got that figured it it fired up and ran great. I think it might need new blades on it but it definitely works and I am going to take this one to shows. The wooden handle is in really great shape as well.

Here are some pics of this one:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0016.JPG
  • DSC_0017.JPG
  • DSC_0018.JPG
  • DSC_0019.JPG

#29 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:43 PM

George:

I didn't realize that the Reo engine was seized. .....It could only be from sitting, because I was told that it was operational when it was parked many years ago. ....Before dismantling anything, I suggest pouring some penetrant, ATF fluid, or rubbing alcohol into the cylinder after removing the sparkplug. .....Give it some time to work, then try rotating the engine by hand.

I have to locate any paperwork I have for the Reo Trim-A-Lawn and the Bunton self-propelled rotary.

I will also be sending an Owner's Operating Manual and Parts List and some brochures for the Yardman SnowBird model 7010, which was a 1969 model. .....That is a 6hp Tecumseh engine and the unit has a 24" cutting width.

As a side-note, the Danuser CD-1 post hole digger was an attachment offered for the Bolens tube-frames, starting with the 1050 tractor. .....There was also a version for the large-frames, as well as for other brands of tractors. .....I e-mailed your Dad some files with info about the digger.

When's the raffle? :laughingteeth:

#30 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Here is the Reo power reel mower. Wasn't able to get this one running as the motor seems locked up. I will tinker with it some more once I have some more time.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0030.JPG
  • DSC_0031.JPG
  • DSC_0032.JPG
  • DSC_0033.JPG
  • DSC_0034.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, walk behind