• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 10:51 AM

I cut the PTO coil/low voltage example as it is incorrect after a few of us talked about it via PM. Ohms law prevails. In another lifetime I was an electronics technician, but am obviously rusty.

#32 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,631 Thanks
  • 8,517 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Many, Many, Many moons ago when I was going through training to learn how to work on Jet engines I was required to take classes in basic and advanced electricity and I also leaned how to troubleshoot using a meter (analog at the time). That training has served me well not only when I was in the Navy but right up to today working on equipment. I also realized reading this thread it is something I take for granted everyday with out thinking about it. Kenny this was a great Idea and I hope many members will benefit from it.

One thing I might add is to be mindful of what you are doing and what function you are on, on the meter. If you are on the ohm scale and touch a live wire you will more then likely blow the internal fuse. Years ago there was no fuse and when you did this you could say good-bye to your expensive meter. I try and make it a habit to put the dial back on a voltage setting when I'm done with the ohm scale.
  • KennyP said thank you

#33 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:51 AM

Excellent thread guys and should be a big assist to all who read this! I use a multi-meter almost daily and assume others know how to use one also, but you know what that assume means.