• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• Member No: 7686
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 07:03 AM

hi me again i have a 16 hp yardman which is same as mtd 995 i have a lever which is broke off that goes fr 1 to 6 which i think are the gears but i cant seem to shift with lever is there any kind of procedure i need to do to shift, there is a rod that sticks out back that went to 3 pt hitch if i push forward on that seems to push lever up fr 1 to 6 think that it is shifting seem to go faster in 6 th then 1st just wondering if there is something i must do to shift with lever cant seem to find anything in manual thanking u in advance john

#2 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 07:59 AM

reading always helps what i was looking at was height of lift that is y it changes when i push in on back bar guess it doesnt go faster in 6th or maybe i may have had it in hi when it was in 6 lift position hope i was able tyo give somebody a laugh this morning haha john

#3 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:24 AM

As you probably already know, if it's 995, it's hydrostatic so your speed will be determined by the forward/neutral/reverse lever off the side of the dash. There should also be a hi/lo lever for the transaxle.
And yes, the numbered lever is going to be your deck height.
  • johnlewis51 said thank you

#4 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 09:07 AM

thanks, first 1 i ever owned, from reading says u will have more torque by pulling closer to neutral wondering if when in neutral and tractor goes back a little will that have any effect on low speed going forward, when first taking it out of neutral doesnt feel as powerfull as it does when i put it in reverse seems to have more torque when in reverse first engaging then it does when first engaging in forward

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 02:12 PM

It sounds like your neutral position is in need of adjustment. If you can find a service manual it should tell you how to do this. If not you will have to give the linkage a good look see and figure out what's up. A good cleaning and lube job may help the problem.

#6 johnlewis51 OFFLINE  

johnlewis51

• 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 03:48 PM

yes i did as directed in manual have another thread on alignment of neutral which i may just have 1 more go at it and double check everything and try once more thanks john