#16 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I also have a 116 XC. A lot of motor in a small frame. I am considering a Ingersoll 4020 that is for sale nearby. Other than the 20 horse I think its the same mower.

#17 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 11:50 PM

the XC I think is the xtra compact so it is a midget in spite of it's horsepower rating. the Mower will be no comparison whatsoever to the 4020...none of the attachments corssover to the 4020. Look it up in the planning guide...

#18 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 10:54 PM

Well, the 1984 line All implements were 'power white'...although it was not uncommon for a dealer that had the 'power red' implements to sell them with the tractor in that they would work just fine. But officially all the implements manufactured in that year were power white. And yes, the Seats were also white. Across all models from the midgets to the big guys...

And from what I understand there were a few manufactured in 1983 with 1983 serial numbers that had the 'black frame' options and characteristics...but they were made for the 1984 model year...so it was very late 1983...

Wanted to run this "black frame" I found on CL by you. It is a 84 Case 222 thats looks pretty nice. I have not actually seen it yet. As you see it has the white deck. I own a black frame 448 and 116 XC. I also own a 1987 222. The only drawback is the price is $950. I think around $700 is more in line. I know I will make a offer but would really like your opinion.

black frame 222.jpg
  • CASENUT said thank you

#19 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 11:12 PM

Well Steve, my spin is much like yours...this appears to be a clean example of the tractor...the front wheels are typically the first thing to go. I picked up ..
I picked up this ...
Posted Image

for ~$350 tractor runs great and is a real workhorse...not quite the condition of the one in the picture...however 3x the price, looks like something weird is going on with your choke cable and hoses, they shouldn't be white ...looks like there may have been a battery problem at some time in the past...and they didn't clean it.

Beyond that you're gonna love this tractor if you get it...really they are 'super fast' and great running tractors...

When done...

Although there was no snow last winter...LOL

Edited by NutCASE, October 09, 2012 - 11:16 PM.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#20 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 11:26 PM

Thank-you. The 1987 222 I got for $400.00 but does not compare to this one. I might have to take a look and make a offer. I was trying to save some money for the consignment auction coming up. I got a John Deere 60 that runs real good for $185 at the last sale.

#21 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:57 AM

As a brand new Case owner I just experienced the rush you're feeling this past Sunday. Nothing beats it. Congrats!
  • CASENUT said thank you

#22 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 01:17 PM

As a brand new Case owner I just experienced the rush you're feeling this past Sunday. Nothing beats it. Congrats!

What'd ya get?

#23 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 07:06 PM

NutCase,

I bought a 1971 Case 444 with attachments.

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

Matt & Tractor.jpg

#24 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 08:37 PM

NutCase,

I bought a 1971 Case 444 with attachments.

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

Matt & Tractor.jpg

Wow! now that is some tractor...and look at all the goodies...so with winter setting in...now is the time to refurb the deck and tiller..:-) then in the spring you can do your 'blower' man this is a nice setup...
  • Moosetales said thank you

#25 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:32 PM

NutCASE,

Thanks. I'm actually doing a little work on the blower now to ensure that it will serve me well this winter; removing surface rust on the inside of blower, looking at the bearings for possible replacement, lubing, assessing the chain, etc.

2012-10-10 20.28.27.jpg

2012-10-10 20.28.16.jpg

2012-10-09 20.49.47.jpg

2012-10-09 19.53.43.jpg

2012-10-09 19.54.31.jpg
My chain appears to be lose (i.e. rubs on the blower housing when in operation) but I'm not certain yet if the chain has stretched or if there is an adjustment mechanism I can use to tighten it. I know on my JD I can manual adjust the tension a bit.

#26 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:44 PM

NutCASE,

Thanks. I'm actually doing a little work on the blower now to ensure that it will serve me well this winter; removing surface rust on the inside of blower, looking at the bearings for possible replacement, lubing, assessing the chain, etc.

My chain appears to be lose (i.e. rubs on the blower housing when in operation) but I'm not certain yet if the chain has stretched or if there is an adjustment mechanism I can use to tighten it. I know on my JD I can manual adjust the tension a bit.

The Case blower has a cam type adjuster on the ends. Loosen all those bolts and rotate the auger assembly one way or the other and it will tighten or loosen the chain. If there is no more adjustment to tighten then the chain and or sprockets are worn out.
It would be wise to order a Service Manual for all your equipment. or search out other ways to obtain a copy free online.
Nice buy! :thumbs:

Edited by Mjoe7, October 10, 2012 - 11:09 PM.

• Moosetales said thank you

#27 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:58 PM

Mjoe7,

Thanks for the pointers. I've downloaded the Parts Manual for my Snowcaster but I can't find the Operators Manual anywhere on the site. I'll keep searching. Thanks again.

#28 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I also have a 116 XC. A lot of motor in a small frame. I am considering a Ingersoll 4020 that is for sale nearby. Other than the 20 horse I think its the same mower.

Its not even close to being the same other than who made it. As you will soon find out. :thumbs:
4020 is a great machine!

#29 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 11:24 PM

To get this back on topic I want to say. Awesome find NutCASE! I'm really happy for you. I think the 448 is one of the hardest Blck/Frm's to find. I also recently got one, but not near as nice as yours.

Those being unique to only 1984 will surely make them collectable in the near future.
Anyone looking for any Power White Attachments will want to look for the "L" series models. Like L46 mower deck or L84 snowcaster.
I recently bought a L45 rear discharge Power White deck. Very hard to find.

If your planning on using this mower for every day jobs it would be wise to replace the seat with something else and preserve the white one you have. When and if they happen to come up for sale they are very expensive to buy.

#30 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 11:40 PM

If your planning on using this mower for every day jobs it would be wise to replace the seat with something else and preserve the white one you have. When and if they happen to come up for sale they are very expensive to buy.

You're right , so for now I cover the seat and when I get to Jacks I'll most likely grab one off of one of my 'fords'...I have a couple with some seats on em...not sure of the cond...

moose..
My chain appears to be lose (i.e. rubs on the blower housing when in operation) but I'm not certain yet if the chain has stretched or if there is an adjustment mechanism I can use to tighten it. I know on my JD I can manual adjust the tension a bit...

Let me explain this a bit.
on each end of the auger is what appears to be a center pivot point...held in place by 2 bolts on each end.

if you remove the 2 bolts you can remove the center piece and the auger will essentially fall out...then when you examine those you will see that they are 'offset' and by rotating the end cap you will change the distance between the auger and the housing... one of the tricks is to mark each of the center caps and put a mark on the housing...then when you find the optimum setting you may have to remove a link, but pay particular attention so both sides are the same and the auger isn't 'twisted' in the housing which is possible.

note the bearing inside are 'hex' shaped (like the pivot) not round as you would expect so to just 'fit a bearing while it can be done is kinda tricky....

the closer 'without hitting' the auger is to the housing the more efficient the blower will be. Then you can keep it greased up and viola...you're good to go...
  • Moosetales and Mjoe7 have said thanks