4 replies to this topic

#1 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hey;

Looking to update the front lights on this tractor. I understand that the 12 HP Kohler puts out 15 amps. So how would those 55 Watt halogen ones work out? I believe these 2 would take about 9 Amps, then the PTO is another 4 Amps or so.

What do you fella think on this?

I posted a front end picture of the day I brought her home. Light housings are 2 X 4" each.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• UT 34001.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think the good old fashioned round ones were 20-35 watts each and they actually made light. Might look for a 2x4 light in that range instead of maxing your current. Of course, if you're only doing it for a few minutes at a shot, it'll never be a problem IMHO.

#3 Horvik OFFLINE  

Horvik
  • Member No: 11027
  • 16 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:31 PM

I think the good old fashioned round ones were 20-35 watts each and they actually made light. Might look for a 2x4 light in that range instead of maxing your current. Of course, if you're only doing it for a few minutes at a shot, it'll never be a problem IMHO.

Hey ;
Good idea , just can;'t seem to find any rectangular ones lower than 55 watts. Guess have to keep chopping. You are right in not maxxing out the stator. Don't want to chop up that nice front end.

All the best

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 06:22 AM

I had thought about doing something different with mine, but just don't use it after dark enough to warrant the effort. I did install a small car battery since I use a winch with it occasionally. That can help with some of the amperage to a point. A lot will depend on how long you plan to use the lights at a time.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 06:54 AM

It's a common problem with older GT's. The silly narrow 3 bulb light bar on my JD314 is really weak. I think you could get away with the 55watt lights but I would make sure you have a good battery and that all the connections are good in the charging circuit and light wiring harness. You want your battery and charging system to be working properly before putting a strain on it.