• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• Member No: 6187
  • 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 03:25 PM

I could use a chipper/shredder around my yard. I've seen the reviews on most of the big box store "commercial grade" units with mixed reviews. Most are fairly good reviews but the bad reviews stand out, like, the thing shakes all the fasteners off, or breaks the tabs off. Or, the motors are the same as Harbor Freight. The blades dull quickly. They clog easily. I could go on, but you get the idea. JUNK!!! Does anybody have any suggestions on what to buy. What really works. I would like to keep a budget of around 1k, but less is better if possible. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 04:52 PM

I have an older Troy-Bilt w/10 HP Briggs, 3" (if I remember right), bought it off CL for $450 a couple of years ago. I've been well satisfied with it. One time I had a stick got behind the drum & had to take some sheet metal off to clear it. It had new blades when I bought it, slightly used machine. Bigger would be nicer, but it does what I need! ~~ Lowell

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I have an older no longer made chipper. It originally came with a 3hp. engine which was a joke. My son was in need of a small engine so he traded me for a 6hp. engine which made a big difference. If a chipper is rated at 1 1/2" limbs and has less than 5hp. don't buy it. I would not purchase a chipper again that is less than 8hp. Your needs may be different though.
Just for your information it seems to me that green woods chips a lot easier than dry wood. Especially hard woods. If you plan on using the chips around your shrubs and trees you will want the chips to be larger. If the chipper you purchase has a hammer mill in the bottom take the screen out and you'll have better chips for landscaping.
Good luck with your purchase.

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 06:10 PM

I have a love-hate relationship with my chipper/shredder. It is a Troy-bilt 47279. Came with a 5 hp Tecumseh engine and should chip up to 2". They sell for less than $500, if you can find one.

The one recurring failure of these is that wood will get stuck between the fan blades & the metal shroud, destroying the fan blades & tearing a giant chunk out of the engine output shaft. My shaft is JB Welded and it seems to be holding. I made fan blades out of an old treadmill.

I love that:
  • it is self-propelled (4 forward, 1 back),
  • it has a giant feed shoot so I can stuff an entire tree into it without de-limbing,
  • I can make the fan blades & cutter knife (the stock knife is to short),
  • the chip size is perfect for mulch,
  • there is a Briggs 8 hp that is a direct swap, if you can find it.
I hate that:
  • you can't get parts for it,
  • the engine output shaft is non-standard (1" x 2 1/4" with a 1/4" key),
  • that it needs to be inspected for fatigue cracks & loose hardware every 3 bag loads,
  • it bogs down when I stuff an entire into it,
  • the small engine department of Techumseh has gone belly up.
If I could find a second one, I would buy it in a heart beat just for spares. (Not my chipper in the picture)

Attached Thumbnails

• troy_bilt_model_47279.jpg

#5 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Here are a few I'm looking at.
I found this Stanley a bit cheaper at either Lowes or Home Depot, 15hp motor, but don't know who makes the motor. Not sure if it's made(assembled)in the USA. http://www.sears.com...6&blockType=G56

Found this DEK(whatever that is)also, similar specs as the Stanley, unsure of origin. http://www.sears.com...05_07143532000P

Went to Harbor Freight web also, left quickly. Nothing but junk...

Then I went to Northerntool. And found something that I think I like, Merry Mac, never heard of this brand either. I like it because it has a Briggs engine(something I'm familiar with), and says made in USA. Smaller engine, 10hp I think it is. But it says direct drive. The others are belt drive. Not real sure if there is any benefit from one to the other. The leaf chute drops down to ground level for easy raking in of the leaves. Pretty cool unit. http://www.northernt...25585_200325585

They all have pros and cons. I like the hitch attachment for pulling with the tractor, but It's not necessarily needed for my small yard.
Can anybody recognize the engines on the Stanley and DEK? I have no idea what make they are. Thanks...

#6 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:34 PM

The Merry Mac is made by Makissick (SP?), I have a 5HP model (Briggs) that I got off ebay for $67. I use it with the screen out to shred green garden waste for the compost bin. It is a good smaller machine, well built IMHO! It was my first chipper/shredder, just not big enough for limbs!

Picture 183.jpg

This is the Troy-Bilt from my previous post:

GARDEN TRACTORS 670 (Small).jpg

~~ grnspot
  • 70Blazer said thank you

#7 70Blazer OFFLINE  

70Blazer

• 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Thanks grnspot. I like the TB you have. I've seen something similar on CL. Just wondering about parts availability. I think I'll look a epay also. I really don't want to spend a bunch of dough for something I wont use daily, and mainly for leaves. The merry mac your showing is dead nuts like the one from Northerntool for $999. Yikes.

#8 coop OFFLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I recently sold a chipper/shedder that looked identical to the stanley exept for the top part of the hopper. Bought at princess auto for $200.00 at thier garage sale 3yrs ago,sold for $500. The motor is a13hp chinese clone. Chewed anything you could stuff in the 3x5 opening worked really well just didn't have much of a use for it and needed the garage space.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 11:11 AM

DEK is a Chinese import. Their diesel engines were imported into this country at one time also. Can't comment on the quality.

i have to agree that of the three you listed I would lean toward the Merry Mac.

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 03:28 PM

I just finished using my TROY Built chipper with a 10 hp Tecky.
Other than the Tecky needing a good carb rebuild, I like this piece of equipment except for 1 thing...
The discharge chute is too level and the chipped wood tends to build up and clog tight.
I have set the 2 wheels on concrete blocks and that helps a lot.

#11 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 09:04 PM

I had an old WW grinder with a 5 hp B&S. got is years ago. it is a great shredder and mixing the compost, but it is not a chipper.
I also have an old Atlas shredder with a 5 hp B&S great for shredding leaves and branches under 1.5 inches dia.

I had an old Bolens shredder that had 6 sicle blades on it. it did a great job. cut branches up to 3"
the motor had better days - but I still that it all but the motor. trying to figure out how to make it work on the front of one of my Deeres