Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 01:46 PM

David Brown,
I assume you will be using the premixed bags of concrete? Most bag products are designed to meet some ANSI code bla-bla-bla, don’t know what that means, what I do know is that they use the least amount of cement as possible, so do yourself and the project a favor by buying an extra bag of pure cement. Add in about a three-pound butter tub of the pure cement to each 80# bag of premix. This will richen the mixture and make for a longer lasting project.

I did this at my home over five years ago and it still looks like it did the day it was completed. I know of other people who didn’t richen the mixture and had failures after a few years. Too much work not to get the maximum bang for the buck.

IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

Edited by Bmerf, September 28, 2012 - 01:48 PM.

• David Brown said thank you

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,634 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 03:25 PM

How many tractors? One to do the work and three to lean on their front plow.
  • IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 06:37 PM

I got my posts poured. The mixer worked, which made it a lot easier. It's a Sears and a bit of a family Heirloom. We bought it in 1977 when I was still in high school and were installing an in ground pool. I spent most of that summer mixing cement. I've ended up with it as dad had no use for it. It's on my list of things to restore/repair. I used 1 tractor (JD2320) to tow the mixer and carry the bags of cement in the loader bucket. I'll likely use the JD314 with a box blade to level the area because the 2320 is too big to get in there. So I guess my total will be 2 tractors.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 06:45 PM

How many tractors? One to do the work and three to lean on their front plow.

I take it you've driven thru a construction zone in our fair state :rolling:
  • JDGuy445 said thank you

#20 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Well, the day is done and the walk is ready to pour. Took longer than I had hoped because of mechanical issues with the tiller but it's all good. Here's what it looked like before I started.

1.JPG

Now I have the steps relocated. They've taken a beating and will be replaced in the spring. Pay no attention to the junk under the porch. If you really want to know what it is, pay me a visit in the next 5 years, it will probably still be there.

2.JPG

Now the temporary sidewalk is moved and the first helper shows up for work.

3.JPG

Some more of the helpers are showing up and getting into position. I think we can count the BCS as a tractor since there is even a little raound baler attachment for them!

4.JPG

Now the first till has been done. Getting ready to scoop it out.

5.JPG

Gettin down and dirty!

6.JPG

Head on view. I love having toys!

7.JPG

Ready for the big pour tomorrow.

8.JPG

A view from the porch. The sidewalk is 3 feet wide but the step are 5 feet wide. I flared the walk out so the steps would have something solid to sit on and enlrged it a little so my wife had a place to set a couple of planters.

9.JPG

So that's the day in a nut shell. It takes me a while because I do work by myself. I hope to have at least one helper tomorrow to pour the concrete. If I don't, it's going to get real interesting.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Jeff, that looks like an honest day's work & seat time to boot.

Thanks for the pics, the walk will look nice when done.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 07:24 PM

Oh, and :thumbs: for getting something off the Honey Do list...

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 07:50 PM

David Brown,
I assume you will be using the premixed bags of concrete? Most bag products are designed to meet some ANSI code bla-bla-bla, don’t know what that means, what I do know is that they use the least amount of cement as possible, so do yourself and the project a favor by buying an extra bag of pure cement. Add in about a three-pound butter tub of the pure cement to each 80# bag of premix. This will richen the mixture and make for a longer lasting project.

I did this at my home over five years ago and it still looks like it did the day it was completed. I know of other people who didn’t richen the mixture and had failures after a few years. Too much work not to get the maximum bang for the buck.

IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

Yes, even the higher test "Ready Mix" concrete at Lowes isn't good enough to last. I used it at the corner of my home where the "trucked in" cement didn't reach to where I laid some pavers. So I used the premium ready mixed bags at Lowes to fill this area in. 7 years later it is GONE! It just dissolved & is totally gone now.....just gravel left There is NOT enough "Portland Cement" in these mixes, and as Bmerf said, adding Portland cement WILL bring this stuff up to a decent long lasting concrete mix.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,634 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:05 PM

You know concrete used to have washed river rock in it. Now, around here they used crushed limestone and I don't think it lasts as well.

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:06 PM

You know concrete used to have washed river rock in it. Now, around here they used crushed limestone and I don't think it lasts as well.

That's part of what makes higher test mixes...different grades/hardness of the aggregate.

#26 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:49 PM

Crushed lime stone is the best aggregate there is for the most extreme environments, such as your driveway which has a big piece of hot metal (your car) parked on it in the winter with salt dripping off of it. Heat, cold, salt and water, everything Mother Nature needs to change the earth back to its original state.
Modern mixes use limestone because cement is made from heated crushed limestone. The bond between the stone/sand/cement is the best that is attainable. In days past, river rock or washed stone was used mainly because it could be locally supplied (cheap). The problem is that the stone is smooth and the cement will not get a good bite onto the surface, and over time, especially in a harsh environment will fail and the surface will pop or delaminate. In days past, to combat this problem, mixes where very rich in cement, now a days this is cost prohibitive.
The bag mixes are designed to meet some building code and have no real use in today’s world other than to hold a post in an upright position, I don’t care what the bag says. Add more cement.

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 06:04 AM

David, great pics! Looks like you accomplished quite a bit in one day, thanks to the helpers. I see the kitty was eyeing it, think it was getting a nice new litter box. Good luck with the pour.

On the bagged stuff, depending what I use it for, I may add a bit more Portland.

#28 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:15 PM

OK, the walk is done! 2 days, 2 guys (on the second day), one sidewalk, no beer. That's why it's straight! Here the water supply shows up for work.

10.JPG

Half way there.

11.JPG

From the porch.

12.JPG

The complete job with mom checking it out.

13.JPG

And a view from the porch.

14.JPG

So, there you have it. What a job! Plenty big enough for my first. Had a heck of a time keeping the cats off the thing until it was set enough that they wouldn't sink in. I started this thread not wanting any advice because sometimes you get way more than you bargained for. This time though, I was very glad to get the tip on adding a little Portland Cement to the mix. I did that and I know I'll be glad I did. Thank you so much for that tip! I had this figured right to the last bag. No bags left over and I didn't have to go get any more. I will post one more pic when I get everything back together. That will be a few days yet. Until then, I hope you enjoyed this thread. Boy, am I glad that's done! one project done, 492 to go before the weather changes!

Oh, I almost forgot, how many tractors. Lets see, 2 Power Kings, a BCS tiller (hey, its a 2 wheeled tractor) and the Satoh with the water supply, so 4 tractors to pour a sidewalk. Something lasting, usefull and seat time to boot!

Edited by David Brown, September 29, 2012 - 08:17 PM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#29 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am so glad you saw the Portland Cement tip before you poured! VERY worthwhile! You did a great job there. Now please bring your stuff....my front sidewalk needs replaced! But not to worry...I'll remove the old before you get here. :smilewink:

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:32 PM

I am so glad you saw the Portland Cement tip before you poured! VERY worthwhile! You did a great job there. Now please bring your stuff....my front sidewalk needs replaced! But not to worry...I'll remove the old before you get here. :smilewink:

Heck, I bet Daniel would even supply the tractors :)

Jeff, great job & I bet everyone is pleased with it. Thanks for letting us watch you work, but I'll warn you... all this supervision has made me tired... I may have to call off tomorrow. LOL