skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Well its been a few years now that I have been running my LGT with the diesel and have finally gotten the ambition to duct the radiator intake . When mowing it will suck up all kinds of grass blocking the airflow thus causing it to run hot at the end of the mowing session . Well in the next week or so if not sooner, I am going to Fab up the duct work to force it to draw through the side screens that it was intended to when I made the cut outs in the side covers.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 06:53 AM

This could be interesting! The side screens will filter some, but won't they choke up with an air intake through them?

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 07:31 AM

They have pretty large holes in them and they are up and away from the grass clippings. And are easier to access ;)

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Just thinking. I mowed with mine, and had clippings all over the engine bay. You start introducing air flow into them and I think you'll be cleaning them quite often.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 09:23 AM

Keith is your radiator up front or near the steering console?
The reason I ask is on my Kubota G4200's the radiator is near the console and they get very little grass in the radiator screen I could send photos of how they did it if it would help.

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 10:35 AM

Radiator is in front of the steering column by about 10-12" and this puts it right over the leading edge of the deck or there abouts.
The engine is in just like a Kubota g series with the flywheel right behind the grill .

Edited by skyrydr2, September 28, 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 10:53 AM

On the older 300 JD's they had a belly screen on them to keep the engine from sucking in grass clippings. No flywhel screen at all. Of course a lot of the screens got removed leaving the engines subject to clogging up with grass and over heating. I'm not sure where your grass intake is coming from but is it possible the engine air flow is pulling it up from underneath somehow. In that case screening the bottom might help.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 05:21 PM

On the BoIens I partitioned off the bottom of the engine compartment on the inlet side of the radiator to keep junk form coming up and plugging the radiator. Then all my air comes in through the hood top and console sides. This would be difficult on your application because if I remember correctly you didn't want to alter the hood. Another thing that is a big plus on a mower is a removable screen on the intake side of the radiator. Some clippings still find their way to the radiator screen on the Kubota's.

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 05:46 PM

This is what I need to do but the area is chuck full of steering valve, deck lift valve, hoses, driveshaft and so on so getting a screen across the bottom is a nightmare, no its worse... but off to the sides its open and should flow plenty of air . If not? I'll put a different element in front of the screen the will catch the grass and fluff sooner like they use for ventilation filters .

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Where did I put that cardboard.... once I find my tape and cardboard I am going to mock up my shrouding and then take it for a mowing and see what happens ? Stay tuned for pics and such. :)
Well I am going to have to get more creative with the hydraulic plumbing that's for sure ! ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120929_080944.jpg
  • IMG_20120929_080821.jpg
  • IMG_20120929_081033.jpg
  • IMG_20120929_081109.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, September 29, 2012 - 07:55 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 06:59 AM

That sounds like a very good idea, Keith. My thinking is your screens aren't catching much of the clipping as there is more air being pushed out than sucked in. Once you introduce a vacuum to them, you will see more clippings stuck to them.

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Just from looking at the photos I would say your going to need to keep a very close eye on your coolant temps if you close off the the area between the frame rails. I suspect that the majority of your cooling air is coming from under the tractor and that's the reason for all the clippings in the radiator.
I can see what your talking about when it comes to the hydraulic lines. Rerouting some of those maybe necessary. Otherwise your engine installation appears to be very well thought out and neatly done. Have you given thought to doing another one?

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yup ! See the other LGT in one of the pics, it is just waiting for one to surface and that one will also be dieselized .