• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:07 PM

The '75 leaks gas a little, and has been for a while now. I just turn off the gas line when not using it. I know, safety hazard but that is not why I am here. Today, I finally got a minute to replace the bad line. And now, it seems like the float is stuck. If the gas line is on, then gas POURS out of the front of the carb. When you take off the air filter, the gas is coming from the hole on the bottom of the intake. I am not sure where that hole goes.

I already took the carb off and cleaned it once. Could I have not cleaned it enough? I thought when I changed the line I probably got a piece of gunk in the system some place. But, I think if I cleaned it it should have gotten that piece out? What is everybody else's take on this?

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,616 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Could be the float is not adjusted right. I don't know what engine/carb your talking about. Is it supposed to have a donut gasket on the needle seat? Does it have two donuts on the needle seat? If it has a plain steel needle, then there should be a gasket on the seat. But your right, it is getting gas past the inlet.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:29 PM

What is the motor/carb?

You could have the float set to high.
Or yes it could be stuck.
Give the bowl a love tap, with the handle of a screwdriver.

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Did you blow out the fuel inlet on the carb with an air hose? If so you may have blown out the seat that LilysDad is referring to.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Sorry, it is a K321. It has the original carb, not sure what carb that would be.

I don't know how the float could be out of adjustment, it ran perfect until I changed that feul line.

I don't know what donuts and seats are there. I did not blow air through it, just sprayed brake cleaner through it.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Float should be set at 11/64 (use a drill bit) when the carb is held upside down.
That measurement, is between the float, and the machined face of the carb, that the bowl fits in to.

#7 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:02 PM

did you check for gas in the float?

#8 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Now I gotta go check my kohler. Half of the OP sounded like a flojet (hate'm hate'm hate'm)

Is the hole in the bottom of the carb for the air filter hold down screw?
I have had small chunks of fuel line come off when changing fuel line and hang up in the needle.
I have also had the float pin fall out while putting on the bowl.

is this a rubber seat or rubber needle. if it is a rubber seat. make sure the seat is in the right way. If you put it in backwards it will leak.(not a problem if you didnt take it out but make sure there is one)
I use a Q tip to clean the needle seat. Some needles fit tight in the bore to the seat. any grove in the needle may snag and stick.
Fine grade emery cloth will take the burs off.

That part is probably the simplest part of the carb but the biggest pain in the a$$

Edited by rat88, September 27, 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#9 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:34 PM

These are about the easiest carbs in the world! Take it off, Completely disassemble it...paying particular attention to the 2 screws (Start with the High speed screw which is at the top...pay attention to how many turns it takes to completely seat it, (write that number of turns down) then remove it...same thing for the low speed screw) then disassemble every part every jet...every last component. Put anything that isn't rubber into a carb bath let it soak overnight. Then when you remove it physically take a piece of safety wire or a piece of very fine wire through every passage and use some spray carb cleaner, (wear safety glasses...carb cleaner will be very bad in your eyes!!!) make sure every passage is clean. Once that is done make sure the Needle for the float is flawless and the jets are clean and look like new. Then when all of this is done wash each component in a nice warm soapy water bath, rinse thoroughly. Then use compressed air to make sure you get rid of all remanants of water...

Then lay every thing out like new...reassemble it making sure all the 'feed lines' and shut off valves have been cleaned and are like new. including the shutoff valve...

Take your time and reassemble it paying attention to the float setting like Sherwood said take an 11/64 drillbit to get the precise measurement...reassemble it. if you still have a leak it would either bet your needle or seat and you'd probably want to replace both. But make sure your float doesn't have a hole in it (I've seen it in the past) then take it from there...you're fuel issues will be resolved, wont' be expensive and your tractor will run like new...GL

Edited by NutCASE, September 27, 2012 - 09:40 PM.

• KC9KAS said thank you

#10 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 05:45 AM

I'd suggest changing your oil to, if you've had gas running out the front of the carb, if may be running into the motor also, depending on how its pareked, thinning your oil !
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,306 Thanks
  • 4,659 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:24 AM

The only way that gas will enter the engine is if he tried to start it. The carb is below the intake port so that's why it runs out there.. ('stuff' flows downhill...)

2 different carbs are available on that engine- A Kohler or a Walbro.. All I ever did with the float setting was this- Invert the carb top (bowl removed) and adjust so the float is level with the carb top's surface. The spring orientation is critical or the float/needle will stick open causing your trouble. Consult the Kohler manual (aka the bible) for more information: http://gardentractor...service-manual/

A nice thing to have when working on the old K series.. Save it to your Hard disk or even a zip drive/ memory stick for easy access (like @ work!) Posted Image

#12 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 12:16 PM

Could be the float is not adjusted right. I don't know what engine/carb your talking about. Is it supposed to have a donut gasket on the needle seat? Does it have two donuts on the needle seat? If it has a plain steel needle, then there should be a gasket on the seat. But your right, it is getting gas past the inlet.

Hmm I wonder if the Brake Cleaner ate up the Rubber Donuts? I know for a fact some of them eat up my hide.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 28, 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#13 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 06:31 PM

Well WNY , Did u read the part where I said it depends how its parked , I've had a Tecumseh do that before, it was parked on an inline, so which way is downhill then ? Thats why it was a suggestion.....
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#14 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Consult the Kohler manual (aka the bible) for more information: http://gardentractor...service-manual/

A nice thing to have when working on the old K series.. Save it to your Hard disk or even a zip drive/ memory stick for easy access (like @ work!) Posted Image

Just ran across this link to the manual. Thanks for sharing.

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hmm I wonder if the Brake Cleaner ate up the Rubber Donuts? I know for a fact some of them eat up my hide.

This carb seat doesn't use rubber in the seats, but many do have rubber tipped needles, which carb cleaner & brake cleaner attack in a bad way! Once you check the needle & seat out again, once the bowl is back on, flip the carb slowly back & forth upside down & listen to hear that the float is moving freely.