Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Installed A Buford Loader On Their Jd?

loader

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • Member No: 11780
  • 13 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 03:16 PM

How many of you folks have bought and installed a Buford or other type of loader on their machines. If you have any photos, bring um on!

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 7,189 Thanks
  • 12,411 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 05:27 PM

I'm not familiar with this loader. I'll have to do a search and see what comes up.

#3 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 141 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 04:13 PM

I don't have the Buford, just a Johnny Bucket. The Buford looks interesting though.

Posted Image

#4 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 223 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 04:40 PM

hope this helps

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/SwJt6zZssGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • KennyP and fishman have said thanks

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4243
  • 2,410 Thanks
  • 2,781 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 05:29 PM

I watched the video, and it is a neat installation. However, it seems to sit very far away from the front wheels. That means that when you get much load on it, the rear wheels will be lighter than with another loader. Also, more strain on the front wheels, axle and spindles. Not trying to be a downer, just saying what I see to be drawbacks.

#6 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,024 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 07:39 PM

HPIM7834.JPG

my is an old Wright-Way loader
the company went out of business in the early 90. I bought the frame from a guy that bought all their loaders and he sold they over the years.
I had to remove all the rust and paint and but all the hydralics and put it together

#7 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • 13 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 06:34 PM

I watched the video, and it is a neat installation. However, it seems to sit very far away from the front wheels. That means that when you get much load on it, the rear wheels will be lighter than with another loader. Also, more strain on the front wheels, axle and spindles. Not trying to be a downer, just saying what I see to be drawbacks.

Yes it seems that it does sit out far in front and that is a drawback, but I like the simplicity of it. I'm kind of caught in the middle between a mid mount type and a front mount. They both seem to have their good and bad points. appreciate your opinion. Thanks Howard

#8 ajcan OFFLINE  

ajcan
  • Member No: 10208
  • 20 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Oh contrare it does not sit too far.It is a front mount design.I have no action shots but I have used mine quite a lot for not only digging/grading but as well as hauling.
Some light stuff,some full of the dirt I was grading off.
I like the fact that the bucket is square at the bottom.Perfect for back dragging and back filling.
Will lift whatever your hydraulic system will lift which is roughly 600 pounds on my 322.
Lifts about 3 1/2 feet off the ground.A few inches over the tailgate of my truck.
I have used it with a set forks to load and unload a Yanmar diesel engine and 15 plow on a palet.
Once it is installed initially it is as easy to remove as a snow plow.
Undo the springs,unbolt 2 bolts and use the hydraulics to lift it off the frame.
I love mine and now wonder what I ever did without it.
If you guys want I can go out and get somepictures of the bucket in the raised position.
Cheaper than a loader or Johnny bucket.If you need a full size loader then this is not for you.
If you need a quick attach unit to move/haul dirt and materials as well as digging
and you don't need it to lifyt higher than your tailgate THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!
The photo of it lifted with the tooth bar is one Pete sent me it is not mine.
Pete is the builder of the loader.

AJ

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0110.JPG
  • bucket_tom_011.jpg
  • DSC_0112.JPG
  • DSC00005 (3).JPG

Edited by ajcan, September 30, 2012 - 06:07 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,189 Thanks
  • 12,411 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the pictures AJ. I see what you mean by simplicity. Only 2 cylinders and minimal metal work due to how it mounts. Pretty smart design and it would be easy to deal with when not on the tractor. I imagine power steering would be pretty much mandatory when using one due to all the weight being on the front wheels.

#10 Bigfoot OFFLINE  

Bigfoot
  • 13 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Oh contrare it does not sit too far.It is a front mount design.I have no action shots but I have used mine quite a lot for not only digging/grading but as well as hauling.
Some light stuff,some full of the dirt I was grading off.
I like the fact that the bucket is square at the bottom.Perfect for back dragging and back filling.
Will lift whatever your hydraulic system will lift which is roughly 600 pounds on my 322.
Lifts about 3 1/2 feet off the ground.A few inches over the tailgate of my truck.
I have used it with a set forks to load and unload a Yanmar diesel engine and 15 plow on a palet.
Once it is installed initially it is as easy to remove as a snow plow.
Undo the springs,unbolt 2 bolts and use the hydraulics to lift it off the frame.
I love mine and now wonder what I ever did without it.
If you guys want I can go out and get somepictures of the bucket in the raised position.
Cheaper than a loader or Johnny bucket.If you need a full size loader then this is not for you.
If you need a quick attach unit to move/haul dirt and materials as well as digging
and you don't need it to lifyt higher than your tailgate THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!
The photo of it lifted with the tooth bar is one Pete sent me it is not mine.
Pete is the builder of the loader.

AJ

Nice photos,
Great Photos, How does this type of mini loader attach to the tractor? Is it easy to install?

#11 ajcan OFFLINE  

ajcan
  • Member No: 10208
  • 20 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Thanks Guys.
The loader mounts almost identical to a 54 blade.Two posts stick out on the bottom to go in the curve on the bottom of the frame.
Two spring pins snap into the same holes the blade would attach to.
Then a bolt on either side in yet another frame hole.That hole is already there.No drilling in your frame.
It could be run without the bolts like a 54 blade.He added them just for added strength.
It is indeed easy to store when not on the machine.Takes up just a few feet of storage space.
I would not run one without power steering myself.
Very simple design.Very simple and similar to what Deere already uses for a snow plow.
It was originally designed by George Liskey who lives in Buford Georgia,Hence "buford" loader.
George is a retired engineer.I originally saw his before it was ever produced.
He became very ill with Cancer and passed the design onto his brother Pete who lives near Lousville Kentucky.
Pete makes them for sale.He is a one man operation.No quality control issue.
He only sells via word of mouth,no advertising.He stays about a month or so behind.
I can pass on his contact info if you guys want for pricing and any other questions.
He is a super nice guy and easy to talk to.
I won't say what I paid but tooth bar and forks included was cheaper than just Johnny Bucket.
A good deal cheaper than O-R-Bilt.He will ship as well.
Here are a few photos he sent me to drool over while he built mine.

AJ

Attached Thumbnails

• bobk_bucket_057.jpg
  • bobk_bucket_061.jpg
  • bucket_tom_011.jpg
  • bucket_tom_012.jpg
  • bucket_tom_013.jpg
  • IMG_7515.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 11,979 Thanks
  • 25,461 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 05:05 AM

That is a pretty cool loader. Thanks for the pics and info on it!

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,189 Thanks
  • 12,411 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Kenny, I wonder if you could adapt something like that to a Ford. Do the Fords have a large mounting plate on the front of the frame like the JD's?

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 11,979 Thanks
  • 25,461 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 04:17 AM

Not really a plate, Brian. I'll see about a pic later today!

#15 Jason jd OFFLINE  

Jason jd
  • Member No: 27208
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 01:51 AM

We're can I contact the person that builds the Buford loader?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loader