Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Where To Source Parts For Front End Of 2412? With Loader?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 atlpk OFFLINE  

atlpk
  • Member No: 12230
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 01:15 PM

The front end of this tractor is pretty loose all around and has a bent left front spindle. I have read there is a spindle with a longer steering arm and maybe other front end parts that are a little more heavy duty for loader applications. Any idea on the best places to find these parts?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP3815.JPG
  • IMGP3816.JPG

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Can't answer your question but on my 2418 someone must have had the same problem . They shortened the spindles and lowered the front axle pivot point , also reworked the drag link and tie rod , Al

Attached Thumbnails

• 0403091751b.jpg
  • 0403091751.jpg
  • 0403091750.jpg

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Replace all the bushings in center bolt and spindles. I would just straighten the spindle you have in a press. You may be able to add a metal angle or straight flat stock along side it to strengthen, but not as nice looking. Sometimes you can put in bigger axle thru wheels. Bearings to fit are no problem, but going into the spindle upright becomes one and you have to drill or reduce back to orig size. Think that area is tapered too. The loader spindle arms just have the longer steer arm on the one to box to get easier leverage. You could also make that over yourself if you wanted. AND, believe there is a longer pitman arm for the box, turns easier, but many more turns of wheel to make same turn as stock did. Problem with these PK loaders is they are for light duty and too many people think they own a Bobcat when using it and cause such damage. W/out power steering it also gets harder to steer when not moving. You also need to grow extra arm/hand to run trans, steer and operate loader all at same time! Guess you can tell I never liked mine!

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 05:55 AM

glgrumpy's idea of reinforceing the spindles is great ! I bet if you strightened them and found a piece of black pip the ID of the spindles and cut it lengthwise and uses 1/2 on each spindle and a little guset on the top it would help the bending problem and still look factory , Al

#5 atlpk OFFLINE  

atlpk
  • Member No: 12230
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I could fabricate a longer arm and straighten the spindle but I thought it might save some time if i could find one ready to go. That may not be realistic as most I have found for sale so far are of the shorter variety. I found a supplier that sells new for around 200. If tha't's the only option we will go to work on the existing one.
Thought abut reinforcing the spindle and will probably add tubing but notice it bent where the spindle enters the axle. I had another idea: Has anyone transferred a heavier axle from another tractor to this one?

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:40 PM

I think glgrumpy's idea of reinforcing that one is the route I would take. If you do it that way, you might want to do the same with the other one. That way, it has less chance of bending and it will look the same as the other side.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Mission Manufacturing in Evansville, IN may have right spindles, but probly not cheap. Fella named Larry Goss, same town and on the Yahoo forums had some, but thinking may have sold?? don't recall for sure. JrHaines sells on ebay alot and has many PK parts, might check there and find the way to contact thru there.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Mission Manufacturing in Evansville, IN may have right spindles, but probly not cheap. Fella named Larry Goss, same town and on the Yahoo forums had some, but thinking may have sold?? don't recall for sure. JrHaines sells on ebay alot and has many PK parts, might check there and find the way to contact thru there.

There was a set of NOS spindles on ebay; I don't know if they where for 24 inch rear wheels though. I looked when I saw this thread and they are gone.