• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Ok so I recently picked up this z482b diesel to put into a 682 for a puller project. I don't know the history on this thing other than that it is the exact same motor as the d600 that is in the 782d and so on. it is only missing one cylinder. but the bore and stroke and pretty much every thing else is the exact same besides being a 2cyl.

Here is my problem. It seems to me that it isn't getting much if any fuel actually into the cylinders. especially the front one. The exhaust is off so I can see which cyl is trying to fire and it only seems like the rear one is trying sometimes but not always. I am thinking about getting the injectors tested but am also considering that the pump might be bad as well. It does push fuel up to the injectors when I crack the lines loose but it doesn't really spray out of them like I am used to on the bigger cummins motors I am used to. it only dribbles out. Should I start with the injectors and then go into the pump? or should I go thru both and be done with it? Can a diesel injection shop even bench test these style pumps or is it just a matter of working or not?
Thanks for any help I can get. I am hoping to at least get this thing up and running before winter so when I work on it this winter I know what it all needs. I am going to be calling columbus diesel to ask about a cam and maybe a modded pump and injectors anyway but would like to make sure the thing runs first. otherwise i will just keep looking for a d600-d750 instead.

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:07 PM

I have yet to crack an injector line and have the fuel spray out or even squirt out on one of these small engines. It is more like a dribble out. The amount of fuel delivered to the injector on one of these small engines is minuscule at most.. I would start with the injectors and go from there.

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 03:05 AM

Check to be sure the fuel shut off valve is fully opening first. Then be sure to warm the glow plugs up too. I had the same kind of thing happen to me first try on my D 600 'Botie diesel . Once I got it all correct she fired right up.

#4 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 05:31 AM

thanks... which way does the shutoff valve have to be to run? I am assuming the lever has to be towards the pump and the throttle lever is is the same way? farther towards the pump higher rpm?

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 06:51 AM

Shut off shaft turns counterclockwise to turn it off I believe? And the throttle turns clockwise to accelerate.

#6 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Ok thats what i was thinking. Thanks!

#7 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Alright i got her up and running tonight. I replaced all the nasty hard rubber fuel lines with some clear line i had laying around. I know it wont last long but for right now i just wanted to be able to see what was going on with air in the lines and whatnot. After bleeding out all of the air and starting it a bunch of times, each time it would run better and better and for longer until it stayed running all on its own. I didnt let it run for more than about a minute because i dont have any way to keep it cool yet as i didnt get a radiator. But i am so excited to just hear it run on its own. Now over the winter i can decide what i can afford to do to it.
I had a nice chat with a guy at columbus diesel today about all of the things they can do to it as far as fueling goes and he directed me to vogel manufacturing for all the goodies like a cam and rebuilding parts.

As long as it snows this year so i can get some plowing money. I should be able to do a few things for now.

Thank you guys for all the help in getting this thing running!

#8 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:23 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/5jTi7DujEvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[url="http://<iframe%20width="420"]http://<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/5jTi7DujEvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:40 PM

From what I can here on the video it sounds good. Should be interesting to see what you can get out of it.
Good luck with your project.
  • cumminsmannow said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Sounds about right to me! Chris & I both have one.

#11 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 08:45 PM

From what I can here on the video it sounds good. Should be interesting to see what you can get out of it.
Good luck with your project.

I talked to a guy at columbus diesel today about it and he said that the stock bottom ends are good for a little over 7,000 rpm if I get the crank balanced. and they can set me up with a pretty good fuel setup with bigger injectors and pump. then he said to put a garret gt12 or a t02 on it and it should be a darn good running setup. now I just need the funds

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 29, 2012 - 10:30 AM

I think I'll pass on the 7000 rpm for mine. One of mine has over 2000 hours on it and run just about perfect. I'd like it to stay that way. When you get yours turned up PLEASE make a video of it. I'd love to hear it. Who knows what stupid thoughts might pop into my head after hearing yours. :smilewink:

#13 jessylee OFFLINE  

jessylee
  • Member No: 9226
  • 4 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 02:35 PM

hi i work on simis and that little moter seams to be an apu they run Ac pumps and heaters for the bunk of the truck . there are many brands of them and alot of times they will have small little 12 volt suply fuel pumps and they some times go bad but depending on wich style injector pump it has theres going to be a halow bolt in wich fuel will flow thro and in that bolt theres a scren and they get pluged alot i whould check them first

#14 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 06:18 PM

I did get it running. It was a combo of fuel lines and i put a new pump and filter also. It puuuurrs like a kitten.

#15 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 01:15 AM

Best of luck on your build. :thumbs: Im running almost 5000rpm without any work done except a heavy governer spring in mine.

Edited by Dieselcubmike, November 17, 2012 - 03:46 PM.