• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 04:13 PM

Not been on today till the last few minutes. Like I had said, this is my day off, so took it easy & just chopped 7hrs. :bigrofl: But I didn't have to milk a single cow today, so still somewhat of a day off. Ran all day with only a few minutes downtime. The tractor has a side panel mounted shifter, and the shift lever broke off in my hand...broke flush with the mechanism. Kept on chopping like that till lunch, then drilled the center, then drilled out all but the threads, then tapped it clean. Threaded the remaining lever & back to work. Then I put the pto in a bit fast & sheared the bolts to the chopper head. Maybe down a total of 20 minutes. Still didn't get this pit finished, so will top it off Monday.
Yesterday was a 14+hr day. Today only 9hrs (2 hours chopper prep & then feeding cows & 7hrs chopping). I milk tomorrow, but just milking chores, so tomorrow will actually feel more like a day off with about 6hrs free, in between chore times.

Edited by olcowhand, August 07, 2010 - 08:13 PM.

#47 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 06:10 PM

Good example of the life of a dairyman..... Always LOTS to do, things to fix, and cows to milk.

Thank guys like Daniel the next time you enjoy a tall, cold glass of milk!

#48 coop ONLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 06:44 PM

sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations Daniel,I couldn't bear that kinda heat, Up in the north country we don't get that, but in winter we do see -40. I can dress for that but can only take so much off before I'm arrested. Think cool thoughts and drink plenty of water(glad your dads doin better)
coop

#49 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 07:08 PM

Oh but today wasn't bad. Not sure what it got to, but not over 90 I'd say. Lower humidity too, so not an issue this weekend. Starting Monday it's back to higher humidity and 95. Saying around 100F Tuesday & Wednesday though, but topping thiis pit & capping the end of another Monday. Then we're closing shop for at least 1 week, then we'll finish filling the last pit. My BIL helped us all day, so really moved some silage, and this allowed my son to stay on the loader, packing & distributing the silage.

#50 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted August 07, 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hey Dan
Great to hear things are going your way for a change.
Enjoy the break between pits. Give you a chance to catch up here. Always something needing to be done around a farm.

#51 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 07:22 AM

Then we're closing shop for at least 1 week, then we'll finish filling the last pit.

A whole week? Whatever will you do with all that free time?:bigrofl:

Thanks for your hard work, It makes my cereal taste much better.

Glad Dad's doing better, is he un-grounded yet (and is he behaving himself)?

#52 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 08:56 AM

A whole week? Whatever will you do with all that free time?:bigrofl:

Thanks for your hard work, It makes my cereal taste much better.

Glad Dad's doing better, is he un-grounded yet (and is he behaving himself)?

He un-grounded himself to go get the chopper spare parts I ordered, but he's behaving & not staying outside of AC. He had a family member come mow his yard since my son & I have been covered up. He plans to drive the chopper tractor tomorrow, but I'll be watching him close! Doc said 4 days which was Saturday, so he's done awfully good to be still this long!

#53 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 09:08 AM

Not gonna get that 6hr break between chore times. 2 cows with calves to get in, and gotta drive grain/silage truck to fill it with diesel. Knew we would run close, but I brought in the last load yesterday so my BIL could cut out. As I pulled into the farm drive, the GMC ran out of fuel & died! How's that for close! I put in just enough farm diesel to get me to town to fill up. We only keep farm diesel here on site.

#54 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 10:53 AM

Daniel, Your fun just never ends! Real glad to hear your Dad is up and going again, it must have been hard for him to sit inside for those days but am glad he listened and behaved himself. Hope you have a good week coming up with no big problems. as to running out of fuel with the truck. You must be related to my wife! I think she makes a sport out of just how far you can go on empty before filling up. Over the years she has run out of gas 4 times but always within a block or 2 of a gas station.

#55 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 03:29 PM

Well, this one silage pit is DONE...except for covering with plastic & tires in the morning. Dad did fine, but I know it tuckered him out. But he loves nothing better than to work, and he was glad to be doing so. We still have an hour or 2 of chopping tomorrow to empty that field, but sticking that silage on end of other pit and not a biggie. Then it's at least one week off from silage, maybe 2, then we'll have 2 or 3 days work of silage to call it a year for chopping. Man was it hot on that payloader! I took my leather boots off & worked in my sock feet....much better!

#56 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 03:02 PM

What a relief! The silage is finished for now. Got everything covered with plastic & tires. May need to toss a few more tires early in the morning, but otherwise we're done for at least 1 1/2 weeks, maybe two weeks. If all goes well, that last field will only take 2 days to chop, and hoping the heat wave breaks by then.
Just knowing I would wake up this morning & NOT have to chop was like a load off my shoulders. Strange thing is it actually made me feel much more tired when finished. All this time I had to keep myself keyed up to get it done. Once the load was off, I could finally relax, and relax I did...now I just feel drained, but a good drained!
Now I can get all the little jobs done that had to take a back seat for silage. May use my 1655 w/FEL to clean my calf stalls tomorrow. No clean ones ready for new baby calves, so a good time to prepare.

#57 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 09:27 PM

Glad to hear you are done with silage, for now, and can move to some other tasks for a while. Hope the heat does let up for you soon. It is miserable working in this stuff!!

Good news that your dad is doing well too!

#58 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 10:39 AM

On the last field of corn silage. If no major problems, will finish the season tomorrow. Things get real crappy after that....manure hauling time! No break at all....straight into the s#!$!! LOL

#59 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 11:12 AM

Good luck on the corn silage Daniel,sure hope you don't have any problems.

#60 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 01:49 PM

Good luck with the last of the corn.
I know you can't wait for the next job.
The other day a 7000 gallon tractor trailer manure tanker got hit by train.
The driver of the truck is OK but the engineer of the train had to go to the hospital for minor injures.
Not the accident I would want to be the first person to get to.:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:
I expect the grass on that right-of-way to do quite well for the next couple of years.