61 replies to this topic

#31 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 03:41 PM

There's a saying... ''If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"... that seems to fit you at the moment, Daniel. While I can't relate to all of those problems, I do sympathize with your situations.

As others have stated... If I was closer I'd offer a helping hand.

Hoping and praying for you and your family, Daniel

Bill

#32 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 04:37 PM

As mentioned about wishing to be closer,If I were closer (a lot closer ),I would most certainly help as I am familiar with working around farms and dairy farms.

#33 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 04:37 PM

With all the dairy chores that have to be done every day, we only end up with 4 or 5 hrs to chop. We got in 4 1/2hrs & chopped 30 loads today. That's a hair more than one load every 10 minutes. Not bad! Not a single problem either. I still have to finish packing the silage in the pit with the payloader yet.

#34 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 07:12 PM

It's good to hear that you had a good day today Daniel, no breakdowns and your Dad is feeling better!!! I hope you get several weeks in a row of good luck to make up for the bad luck you just had.

#35 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:19 PM

Dan
No problems=GREAT
30 loads is a lot of silage.
Keep up the good work.
Not sure what kind of iron you are doing this with but if I got 30 loads in tandem Badger Northland wagons I would work about 7-8 hours. 20'x70' vertical silo Half full.
966 binder and a 600 Gehl with a 4" screen.
All our larger operations up here are now using trench silos as you are..
I have a 6500 cow operation a couple of miles to the east of me and another 3500 cow operation a 1/2 mile more to the east.
The 6500 cow operation is also partnered with a new operation about 40 miles to my southwest that is going to have a capacity of 10,000 head.
At present they are at 8500 head at the Rosendale Operation.
These Guys have web sites.
Google
Tideveiw farms
and
Rosendalefarms
WOW Farming up here is not like it was when I was younger.

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 08:02 AM

Buried a 3rd cow for the week this morning. ALL sick cows almost have a death warrant on them with the heat couple in with sickness. One good thing....I have no more sick cows. Talking with my feed rep, most all the cows dying are either from pneumonia, or fresh cows that develop infections/etc...the heat does them in. We're doing all we can to cool them, but it's just not enough for the sick ones. Gotta go clean the Cat payloader's radiator & wire the engine compartment doors open to get more cooling today. Everything is running in the red zone.
The old IH T340 hi-lift dozer I bury them with blows ALL the heat back into me, so could hardly breathe while burying these cows. There is now NO dead animal pickup service in our county. There is only one company in this area now, and they won't pick up nything unless county fiscal court signs a county wide contract. Fiscal court will be getting an ear full soon enough.

#37 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 10:47 AM

I am sorry to hear about the cow, I dont live on a farm (wish I did) so I dont know what its like.
But, I am in about the same position as your son. Though I am much younger, my mom in my eyes is wacko, I mean like REALLY wacko, I call her the witch.
I dont even want to see her anymore because of it, but now my dad is making me go. So now I wont get much time to work on my sears dangit.
But, I do have one more trick up my sleeve. *evil grin*

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 09:57 PM

We got a lot chopped today, but ended with problems. All during the day, I fought the shift system, as when I'd use park, I couldn't get it back out of it. It's hydraulic, but felt like a mechanical problem. So I just quit using park & held the brake pedals while dumping the loads. Then when the day was done, I went to back out of the row. Wrong move....should have just plowed down a few stalks & went on to the end of the field where I could start in forward tomorrow & drive on. It would not come out of park. I went back later in the evening & just let the tractor pull agaist the hydraulic park to get if off the chopper. Then it released. So I'll be putting out other 2745 tractor on the chopper in the morning, after I transfer the chopper controls over to it & switch the other tractor's pto to 1,000rpm shaft. That makes 2 tractors needing dep repair this winter. Our MF2705 needs a new clutch, and this 2745, after checking it out more, seems to have some blown seals inside the clutch packs. I can run a system pressure test to confirm it.
The heat index reached almost 115 today. And my 2745's AC was running low on R134, so ended the day on the warm side.
Dad feels even better today, but I told him he's NOT coming back working until this intense hot spell has passed. My friend's dad was the exact same age when he got pneumonia. His dad went to the doc, but didn't follow the doc's instructions. I attended his funeral. I'd rather bust my hump HARD to do this 1 man short than risk losing Dad prematurely.
And good news.....no dead cows today to bury!

Edited by olcowhand, August 04, 2010 - 10:05 PM.

#39 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 10:18 PM

Good to hear you are making progress with the chopping, even though you had some bad luck with the tractor. Heat index, here, has been about 10 degrees cooler than your area, but still 100+ on a lot of days. Sure gets warm riding the mowers at work. I wonder if I could talk them into putting a cab with AC on the zero-turn mower!!!
Also glad to hear your dad is paying heed to your "grounded orders" during this hot spell.

Take it easy, and wishing you the best.

Bill

#40 don wyatt OFFLINE  

don wyatt

• Member No: 580
  • 0 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 10:45 PM

WOW Dan. You have to be a believer to get through all that. You will pass the test. My sweetie and I will keep you in our prayers. Don

#41 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 07:50 AM

Gotta fuel up the tractor that I prepped to put on the chopper, & check the oils, then she's ready. Have a cow with calf to get in quick, then off to chop. Hope to finish this field before possible storms roll in from the west.
See you guys later!

#42 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 08:03 AM

Hope you have a good day of chopping, no breakdowns. Glad to here your Dad is doing much better! Have a good day Daniel!

#43 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 08:57 AM

In to get my water jug. Just took tractor to field & chopped a load. All is good to go. Josh is getting the calf in as I type, so heading back. BTW....the AC in this tractor is ICE COLD!:worshippy1::dancingbanana:

#44 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 08:45 PM

Daniel, you are a true man of steel. I never heard of anyone working as hard as you do everyday.

#45 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 06, 2010 - 07:40 AM

Daniel, you are a true man of steel. I never heard of anyone working as hard as you do everyday.

There are tons that work much harder. How would you like working blacktop, roofing, or laying block? And steel workers....talk about heat!! My job is hard, but not the hardest my any means. Getting tractor & chopper greased & ready for another day of it. Not near as hot today...only to 90F. The heat comes back in force Monday. Expecting 97 Monday, 100 Tuesday & Wednesday, coupled with severe humidity. Oh how I look forward to more.