• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:28 PM

Been a very long day. For one, I had to bury a 2nd cow this morning (buried another 2 days ago). Both were fresh cows with simple uterus infections, but coupled with the severe heat/humidity, they just couldn't survive, even with cooling mist & fans. But that's not the worst. Dad is nearly 85 and wants to work no matter what. He's not felt good for 4 days, but didn't say anything. We started chopping silage this morning. When I went back for the 2nd load (Dad running chopper w/AC) and seen through the trees a huge mist cloud. Couldn't tell what it was, but it wasn't good. Shot to the field & ran up to tractor, and a bush on outer edge of field must have caught the fuel pump & pulled the manual pump plunger out. Fuel was shooting all over the exhaust manifold & Dad never even noticed as it's on the opposite side of where the corn feeds in to the chopper. But he should have smelled it, as the fumes were getting in through the warped cab door. Anyway, in the next few seconds after I stopped Dad & we shut the tractor down, Dad had a spell. Started shaking TERRIBLY, and could hardly stand/walk. Got him to the truck & he started throwing up & shaking worse. He just wanted to rest, but I told him it was the Dr's office or the ER. So I took him to the doc, and he has walking pneumonia, and has had for several days. Doc said the fumes likely pushed him over the edge. Dad is at home & grounded for 4 days minimum. I told him it's only fitting I get to ground him like he did me as a kid. :D
So chopping is a 3 man job & my son & I have to go it with just us 2. So gotta get up extra early to get all the morning chores finished so we can get to chopping.
OH, and after I got Dad home, I went to chop. Fixed the fuel pump plunger & then found the chopper was broken. A spring loaded cable that puts tension on the feeder rollers had broke. So had to work on it in the sun & liked to heat stroked doing that. Fixed me up a piece of 3/8 cable. Ordered 2 new cables for future. Finally got it repaired & chopped 8 loads before chore time this evening. I went to push up the silage in the pit & pack it. The bucket hung a bad place in the concrete & in the second or so it took me to stop, it tore out a spot 3' x 8' of concrete pad. The concrete has eroded so thin it just crumbled into hunks. Oh, and all this after a night of 2 1/2hrs sleep. I had caffeine too late in the day yesterday.
Yeah, I know...a winded story, but you guys are my vent & sometimes all that keeps me sane. Cheapest & best therapy there is! Hoping tomorrow is better. Dad is feeling pretty good now too.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, Fathers. Growing up they're superman to you, then when you get older... well... I spent the entire vacation (at our tractor show) trying to get between Dad and anything that weighs more'n 10#. He had had prostate surgery the week before. And Caseguy came up to help. I still owe him for that. By the way, don't switch to decaf before talking with your doctor. I saw a study recently that decaf can mess with your sugar levels/insulin levels MORE than caffeine can. Something about the chemical they use to take out the good stuff (Benzene maybe?).

Good luck & get some rest tonight.

P.S. & tell Dad the same

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks. And yes, dad was Superman till the last 10 years. Actually just the last 2 or 3 have limited him. On the caffeine, it was a Hot Mocha from McDonalds. I drink only decaf coffee at home, so the mocha did me in for lack of sleep.
Likely I won't be on here as much for the next few days, but I WILL be checking in.

#4 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:47 PM

Dang there Daniel
Thing sure haven't been going your way lately.
I'll keep your Dad in my prayers.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:53 PM

Daniel,sorry to hear about your bad day.Remember,as much as you don't want to bury any cows,they can be replaced with others,your father can not be.I hope your father gets better quickly.I lost my father 4 years ago,he died on his 80th birthday.So as long as your father is still around,feel lucky.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 06:05 PM

Dang there Daniel
Thing sure haven't been going your way lately.

I only told George what happened to me a few days ago. When repairing a busted water line, when turning off the valve in the ground, I got bit by a Black Widow. I saw it under the water trying to surface, but never thought I had been bitten. Later that day my hand started itching & burning. The next day I had a nasty sore & was sickly. I made it through fine though without the doc involved. The spot is looking very good now, but here's what it looked like the 2nd day:
DSC00259.jpg

Yep, life might be like a box of chocolates, but sometimes that chocolate tastes bad! Gotta get some decals cut & ready to ship now. I'll check in a bit later. BTW... I killed the offending Black Widow!

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Daniel, I'm sorry to hear of your latest problems. I thought you had probably had enough trouble so far this year to last you but it sounds like even more trials for you. Good that your Dad is feeling better now and the pneumonia got caught before he got extremly sick. You might have to chain him down to keep him in the house for the next few days and out of the fields. Good thing that you got to the tractor when you did. Take good care of him and I'll keep him and you in our thoughts and prayers.
Sorry you lost the 2 cows and had the chopper break down. I grew up on a farm and can relate to some days it would seem that everything you touched or tried to do ended up broken. Here is wishing you a much better tomorrow Daniel!

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 06:19 PM

Man oh man Dan, so sorry you have had such a rough time this summer!!!! Glad your dad is feeling better and you got him to the Dr.
when you did. Hope things turn around for you.
Peter

#9 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 06:27 PM

Dan, be thankful you still have your dad around...I wasn't so lucky....He sounds like a tough old guy.....I am sure he will be well again soon.

#10 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hey olcowhand,sounds like you had all you needed today. Glad Dad is doing o.k. Be with him all you can,cause I sure miss mine,been gone 21 yrs. Wish we lived closer, maybe i could help some. Have a good'n wawcub47

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 06:52 PM

WOW!
You have had a pretty rough summer Daniel. I'm glad to hear your Dad is doing better. Cows are replaceable, Dads are not.
If I wasn't so far away I'd go and lend you a hand.

Get some rest and hopefully things will turn around for you.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:14 PM

Almost sounds like you've been prayin' for patience. Sorry to hear that the goin's been rough, but as has been said, at least your Dad's OK. Hope everything turns around soon. I'll keep the lot of you in my prayers. Steve.

#13 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:17 PM

What else can happen?? Sure been rough this summer, Hope your dad feels better. will say a extra line for you'all tonight in our prayers. like 1000 said wish i was closer i would lend 2 hands.

#14 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 08:04 PM

Dan, be thankful you still have your dad around...I wasn't so lucky....He sounds like a tough old guy.....I am sure he will be well again soon.

:ditto:

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 08:06 PM

What else can happen??

Well, that's not all either. George knows of this other stuff....my X wife is quite literally nuts. She matches every marker for being a "sociopath". She's been making my son's life miserable since his son was born in February. My DIL called tonight very upset over all this firing up again today between them all. He just started milking tonight 4hrs late. Not good for the cows either as we are fighting a severe mastitis outbreak due to the heat making the cows want to lie in manure, rather than bedded stalls. I've been well aware how nuts my X is , but have not brought it up to my 3 kids by her because they've never seemed to notice it, but they all know now! She started this back in February (I'll spare details) and it'll die down, then she'll lose her mind all over again. I told my son he's GOT to cut the cord with his mom or she would destroy his family, as that is exactly what she is attempting to do. She is a complete control freak. Oh my...I did it again. Maybe next post will be about a tractor! BTW....bull was out a while ago like he was on vacation or something. Lightning blew the electric fence fuses over the weekend, and I didn't think to check. Took out my TV cable box & telephone answering machine too. Other than Dad's spell, and my X, the rest of this is a walk in the park.
And Ducky...give me a day or 2 to get your GTT decals put together....please.